When to buy DOD cards

NEHMAR

I have searched and searched, and while I find people using them, I can't find where to buy them or when the best time is. Do we need to wait until a certain time being out at sea? Should we get them as soon as we board? Where do you buy them?

Thanks!!

They still sell bar coupons from the Bon Voyage Dept. - but your guess is as good as mine whether or not you'll get a whole drink. You will get at least face value (4 for $21.25) and on some ships, not all, you get a well drink.

I was just on the Ecstasy last week and there weren't any DOD cards. They do however sell the Soda cards and the Coffee Cards but don't buy them until after the ship is out 3 miles so you don't have to pay tax on them.

Same way goes for purchasing anything at the bar including Carnival thermos/funnel cups/monkey head.........just wait until you don't have to pay tax...........

They still sell bar coupons from the Bon Voyage Dept. - but your guess is as good as mine whether or not you'll get a whole drink. You will get at least face value (4 for $21.25) and on some ships, not all, you get a well drink.

You can get whatever drink you want...I've used the coupon towards a martini...they just charge you the difference....

You can get whatever drink you want...I've used the coupon towards a martini...they just charge you the difference....

Did they charge you everytime? I've heard that sometimes the bartenders don't charge you the difference.

Yes they did....I used them at the atrium bar and one of the martini bars....I ahve heard that as well though....

Darn, I was hoping to save a couple of bucks on my crown and cokes. Maybe I'll befriend a bartender and get the perks! :D:rolleyes:

Darn, I was hoping to save a couple of bucks on my crown and cokes. Maybe I'll befriend a bartender and get the perks! :D:rolleyes:

You NEVER know....its worth a try! It happened to me ONCE! LoL

OP...Ive never heard of the DOD card :confused: maybe it was something they offered back in the day :confused:

You NEVER know....its worth a try! It happened to me ONCE! LoL

OP...Ive never heard of the DOD card :confused: maybe it was something they offered back in the day :confused:

The DOD Cards were available for large groups as a perk. But, you do have to by them early through Carnival and only if you are booking a large group. Or at least you could get them two years ago.

The DOD Cards were available for large groups as a perk. But, you do have to by them early through Carnival and only if you are booking a large group. Or at least you could get them two years ago.

I see what you're saying now....I just booked with a group for an open bar cruise on carnival freedom for feb 2011 and CANT WAIT!! My sign and sale bill should be low for ONCE! ;)

I have searched and searched, and while I find people using them, I can't find where to buy them or when the best time is. Do we need to wait until a certain time being out at sea? Should we get them as soon as we board? Where do you buy them?

Thanks!!

Last time I have seen or heard of them was April 2009 when we sailed the Destiny they had them.. after that.. they seem to have disappeared...:confused: From the group we were with they didn't find them worth it...

I see what you're saying now....I just booked with a group for an open bar cruise on carnival freedom for feb 2011 and CANT WAIT!! My sign and sale bill should be low for ONCE! ;)

Sorry to hijack.. but Tiffany do you mind me asking is your group cruise for Feb booked thru a corporation or something.. because we have been trying to book one with Carnival and they are saying we can't it has to be a corporation thing:(:confused:

This is a different DOD card - as mentioned there are some 'group cruises' where you can 'purchase' open bar...but the DOD cards were available to individual cruisers - could be purchased at any bar - and did allow for some savings. Unfortunately as mentioned it seems like these no longer exist? :(

I purchased a DOD card last March on the Inspiration. This year I asked for one on the Sensation and the bartender didn't know what it was. Thought maybe they didn't have them b/c only a 3 day cruise.

Sounds like they're a thing of the past. It wasn't a huge savings but every little thing helps.

This is a different DOD card - as mentioned there are some 'group cruises' where you can 'purchase' open bar...but the DOD cards were available to individual cruisers - could be purchased at any bar - and did allow for some savings. Unfortunately as mentioned it seems like these no longer exist? :(

You beat me to it, Froufie. The DOD card was similar to the soda card. Each card was good for 5 DODs and it was a savings of about $1/drink or so. I can't remember the exact price....but I do know they were available as recently as Oct '09 on the Liberty.

You beat me to it, Froufie. The DOD card was similar to the soda card. Each card was good for 5 DODs and it was a savings of about $1/drink or so. I can't remember the exact price....but I do know they were available as recently as Oct '09 on the Liberty.

Yes, we also purchased individual DOD cards on the Liberty in Sept. 09. It was like getting a free drink.

Well, doesn't that just stink. :( I was looking forward to the card. But, in any case, I guess we just rack up the charges instead. I mean, there really isn't a point to getting the drink coupons, if they charge you the difference anyway right? (except for those people that want to pay for it ahead of time).

What about the DOD glass? I was under the impression that it is $1 off if they refill that glass? Am I remembering right or am I smokin' something here? If I'm right, what do you do, take it back to your room and wash it out at times?

Archived