what goes with my little black dress?

bluenoser2

Going on a European cruise in June - I'm thinking of taking a very simple black round-neck, sleeveless sheath dress, just above the knee length...I have a pair of black high heeled pumps, or some lower heeled white/silver/gold sandals (they have no back on them so they're a bit "flip-floppy"). What would you go with? If I go with the pumps, I have to wear nylons - would I wear a black tone, or go with a nude tone? Also, what suggestions do you have for accesorizing? I don't have a lot of jewellry, I have a few pashmina type shawls (blue, copper, black, blue/mauve/silver striped....). Thanks for any suggestions!

Where do you plan to wear the dress, for formal nights? For dinners while in Europe? What is your approximate age? Those questions will help decide with the shoes. In general - the pumps sound like they might make it look too librarian or like you are going to a funeral (especially with the black hose). Not too sure I like the sound of the "floppy" ones either. Any other options? A brightly colored pair could liven things up, red maybe? Or an animal print?

Buy some nice looking costume jewelry, if you want to use that to dress up or down the dress.

Would definitely not wear the tights (nylons) - they won't be need in June - the weather will be fine. Agree with the other poster, brighten up the black dress with some bright heels or strappy sandals, tasteful costume jewellery always does the trick too.

I'm taking 3 pair of shoes, black sandals, red pumps and gold sandals and they will all go with my black sheath dress. I'm also taking a little gold box jacket, zebra print jacket and a Ribkoff printed jacket (primarily red). So basically you can dress it up with just about anything. That's the beauty of "neutral" colors. Also love the fact it cuts down on luggage !!!

I'd go with the black pumps, nude hose and a really big chunky necklace and bracelet. OR some funky nylons, they are quite fashionable, bright colours like royal blue and fuschia. I wore them first time round and don't think I should wear them second time around, but you might be young enough to carry them off:)

I don't take any expensive jewellery on a cruise, or anywhere else travelling for that matter.;) Last time I did that, a ring I left on the worktop disappeared down the basin into the North Sea.:rolleyes:

what you can wear with a LBD is endless...like everyone is saying dress it up or down...if you dont have alot of jewelry...silver-tone or gold-tone inexpensive and also add some color...thats what i keep hearing alot when i am in black i am always going for the metals, crystals, diamonds but now they are saying POP of color....and where i do have all the jewelry i could ever want it makes it hard to decide WHAT...

sounds like with your jewelry, shoes and pashminas/wraps you will be able to make the LBD YOURS!!!

I have lots of expensive jewelry, but I find that Kohl's carries really nice trendy jewelry. They have items designed by Vera Wang and Ralph Lauren, among others. I recently bought a few big, chunky trendy pieces that look expensive. Love them.

Thank you - you're all giving me lots of fun ideas - I really like the red shoes/sandal idea - I saw some the other day, picked them up and then put them down because I didn't know if I could carry it off! By the way, I'm 48, and I'm thinking of it for either formal or another night, depending on if I can make it look dressy enough for formal. It's just so easy to pack, and doesn't wrinkle or take up much room, that I want to take it for something! There are 3 formal nights, and I'm not really a formal kinda girl, so I don't have a lot of choices for what to wear on those nights, without buying things I won't get to use anywhere around home.

Get those red shoes baby!! What could happen??? It's not like they'll throw you off the ship or something. I have a pair of leopard print pumps with red patent leather heels. Get tons of complements on them and I am 49.

The thing to avoid at our age is a dress that is excessively short or tight, THAT makes you look ridiculous and like you are trying too hard to look young.

Archived