Credit Card PRE-Authorization amount for OB Expenses for the 4 Day Sensation

cruiseguys2009

Okay, I have read the posts but I think they are obsolete from October 2008.

Can someone please update me on what the pre-authorization amount (PER Person) is on your Credit/Debit Card for the Carnival Sensation 4 day cruise? So if I there are two people on the account, what is the procedure for the total amount for pre-authorization?

Still hoping that someone knows the per person pre-authorization amount on your credit card for the onboard account.

Hi! I was on the Sensation last yaer. I can't remember how much the pre-authorization amount was. Sorry...but I did want to let you know that I loved the ship! HAVE FUN!!

I believe the first approval is for 250.00 and then if you go above that they do it in 50.00 incriments.....

You can check your balance daily if you are concerned with going over your limit or you can bring cash and apply that tot he account and then when you go over the cash limit they go to the credit card for the remainder

Hope that helped

I called carnival and asked them this question- I was told that you have to put down $200 per person IF you pay with CASH. BUT if you use a credit/debit card then there is no pre-authorization amount. I was told that the computer determines what it holds depending on your spending...I was hoping they could give me an actual amount... I guess we will see in a few days! :rolleyes:

I'm thinking that the $250 per person is for 5 day or longer cruises and that it was less for shorter cruises. For 2 people, you would double the amount. For our family of 3, they (Carnival) said they would authorize $750.

After reading several replies- I called carnival again and got another answer!! :confused: I was told this time that $100 per person is held...once you near that amount in spending- they then hold another $100 and so on. Again- I have no idea who is correct but that is the info that I got just now from a carnival rep.

I work for a bank and have watched my account post cruise several times. I've always found that they authorize as you spend and there will be a whole bunch of little charges as holds - 7.95 here, $50 there, etc. mostly matching up with my purchases. Not all purchases seem to make it as an authorization which causes the problem that sometimes occurs post cruise where your s&S final total is posted and the holds remain for another 3-7 business days.

Always make sure if using a debit card (even with Visa or Mastercard logo) that you have double the funds you think you will spend available for at least 1 week post cruise - enough for the actual charges and enough to cover you if you have holds that don't drop off for a week.

After reading several replies- I called carnival again and got another answer!! :confused: I was told this time that $100 per person is held...once you near that amount in spending- they then hold another $100 and so on. Again- I have no idea who is correct but that is the info that I got just now from a carnival rep.

If this is a debit card question or a low limit (< $1000) credit card then listen to VACruiser.

I learned the hard way many years ago. YOU Financial Institution (Bank in case of debit card or issueing bank in case of credit card) controls when holds come off the account. NOT the merchant (in this case Carnival)

Let's use an example. Works for debit and/or credit. Once again each and every bank has their own policies and procedures. This is a worst case scenerio which happened to me.

$1000 balance on card

Check in on ship - $500 hold

$1000 - $500 hold = $500 available

Total charges = $400

$500 available - $400 charged = $100 available

But I only charged $400 and they took $900 :eek:

No,,, the financial institution hasn't released the $500 hold

1 week after return that $500 hold gets removed and now I have my $600 total available.

There is not a REQUIRED amount for a cash deposit. Most of the time I put enough for the tips, $140.00 for a 7 day, and another $260 for a total of $400. Neither my DW or I drink very much and we usually get a small check under the door the last night.

Using a cash deposit is how I budget how much I spend on the little extras. I've seen too many folks get their S&S and about die. My brother had $2400 one week, OMG :eek:...

i would rahter spend less and go on more cruises..

Try the cash deposit, especially now they have the kiosks at Miami...

Thank you! That is what we will do. It is our first cruise our only "splurge" was getting two rooms for the four of us, so we can sleep! My husband and I are not drinkers, so that won't be a problem either.

Okay, I have read the posts but I think they are obsolete from October 2008.

Can someone please update me on what the pre-authorization amount (PER Person) is on your Credit/Debit Card for the Carnival Sensation 4 day cruise? So if I there are two people on the account, what is the procedure for the total amount for pre-authorization?

The answer is..... the hold is $50. As your spending increases, your hold increases but the actual charge doesn't go through until the day you arrive back to the port of orgination. And to be clear, the $50 is for both of you.

Hope this helps.

I wouldn't suggest ever using a debit card as the hold will remain on your account for 3 to 5 days after the trip unless you actually settle to that debit account. Credit card is always a better option.

I used a debit card for my last cruise. What they did was put a hold for each small purchase and at the end of the cruise, they charged the total amount, and each small hold dropped off over the next few days. It didn't take more than a few days for mine. But what I advise is for you to open a separate checking account for your cruise spending only. Don't tie it to your regular checkiing account and don't count on any funds from that account for anything else until a week after you get back. It will work out ok.

Archived