Question About Costa Maya

In costa maya.....can you just come off the ship at port and find stores near or do we have to take a taxi to do anything....I was going to the beach but we're not there to long...I just want to get off the ship get some souvenirs and look around a little then get back on.....I know in Cozumel it is easy to do that but I am planning on the dolphin encounter when I am there

In costa maya.....can you just come off the ship at port and find stores near or do we have to take a taxi to do anything....I was going to the beach but we're not there to long...I just want to get off the ship get some souvenirs and look around a little then get back on.....I know in Cozumel it is easy to do that but I am planning on the dolphin encounter when I am there

Yes, there is a neat little shopping center right at the pier. The pier is LOOOONG. A very long walk. Enjoy :D

You can also catch a bus or cab in to town very cheap. The bus is air conditioned and modern. Not like the school bus on some islands. There is nothing special there to sea. Kinda just a tourist thing. A boardwalk type deal along the beach with shops, bars, cafes. All local stuff, no chains like Sr. Frog, etc. If you are just trying to spend some time for something different, it's OK. We had a drink and some nachos at a beach joint. It was just OK. Nothing to brag about. If you have not a lot of time, just do the deal at the pier.

Rick and Deirdra

Yes....as soon as you walk down the pier it puts you into the port area that contains many shops, food and bar areas as well as a great big swimming pool....they even have a sand area with lounge chairs.....it's all brand new.

Costa Maya is one our favorite ports.... true the port has shops and a huge pool but so doesn't the ship! Get in a cab and go to the fishing village... there are beach bars/a nice beach/ and food. If you buy food your chair and umbrella is free. It is the way the Mexican coast used to be... it is also the jumping off point for some great ruins tours. Most people just plunk down at the pool.....

If I were you I would take the short taxi ride to the main beach, I believe its Mahahual; they have a wonderful strip of bars and shopping; the port shops are full of tourist stuff; I think you would have a better time taking the short walk and taking in a few local shops at Mahahual

The new cruise port at Costa Maya is really impressive. Lots and lots of shops. I'd also suggest taking the bus or a cab to Mahahual, the sleepy little fishing village. We had a great time. Both the bus and the taxi's are $2 pp each way. (It's only 2 miles, I believe.) We walked down the Boardwalk to Coco Corona as it was recommended to us by employees at Diamonds International. Great food and margaritas. On a side note, we found the tequila prices to be really high in both Cozumel and Costa Maya. As we walked through the duty free store on the way back to the ship from Cozumel, my husband noticed a sign saying "Jose Cuevo Gold" 3 for $29. We bought (and declared) 6 and had no trouble with customs.

Archived