allergy sufferers

ms-getaway

If you suffer with seasonal allegies( and boy have they been bad this year) Do you feel they get better while cruising and visiting the carribean? I feel like crap now and don't want to have take a slew of allergy meds Cause I wanna take a slew of DOD's:D

DH has allergies, and there's no telling if they'll be better or worse -- just different -- from what they are at home, because we're at a different climate & latitude, so the growing season & pollen season is different from what it is at home.

Not much help to you, but I'd definitely pack the meds you normally take.

My allergies are usually pretty good on a ship as long as I stay away from the cigarette smoke. I find the perfumes get me going too. Since i live in South Florida, the Caribbean Islands are similar climates to what I have here so depending on the time of year they may or may not effect me. I remember one time my allergies were horrible before we sailed. I couldn't breathe through my nose at all and couldn't sleep. A few hours after we sailed and were at sea it was like someone flicked a switch and my whole head cleared up. Nothing like the sea air!

I have bad seasonal allergies and they're always much better / non-existent when the ship is out at sea (I can even not take my allergy meds!) There are still allergins on the islands though but its never as bad at back home.

Like above as long as I avoid too much of the cig smoke or heavy perfume I don't have any problems on board or on the islands. At home I have daily migraines when allergies hit. Sometimes that's my only symptom, other times I'm a mess with itchy eyes, nose etc.

I seem to have no allergies while cruising but at home they're horrible...on the other side of things though the humidity makes my hair endlessly frizzy on the cruise but I'm able to tame it pretty well at home. I still think I'll take a cruise with the frizzy hair and no allergies than at home working and sniffeling. :)

I seem to have no allergies while cruising but at home they're horrible...on the other side of things though the humidity makes my hair endlessly frizzy on the cruise but I'm able to tame it pretty well at home. I still think I'll take a cruise with the frizzy hair and no allergies than at home working and sniffeling. :)

I am the same as you (minus the frizzy hair). For me there is nothing to be allergic to at sea since I am then away from all my allergy triggers. Don't spend enough time on the islands to get allergy affects from their pollens.

I did the steroid shot, never again not for me. I wasted almost a whole week in Bonaire from that shot.

I think it's because the wind is constant - nothing is "stagnant" while you're on the ship. DS goes to Savannah every year with his g'ma, and his allergies (+ asthma) are always better there, and we have guessed it must have to do with the constant breeze from being so close to the water.

What are you allergic to? It has been really bad around here (I'm in Baltimore also)- when you come outside in the morning and my blue car has a green sheen to it...I know it's going to be a bad day!:(

I can't say how it will be while on the ship, but my allergies don't bother me in OC, so I would think it will be the same concept going out to sea...unless what you're allergic to are cool, salty breezes!:p

Have fun!!!

...And the correct answer is....

Yes!!! (It is my excuse to go on a Caribbean cruise every year over spring break)

Seriously though, mine are definitely better or non-existent when in the Caribbean ;)

No allergy problems at all for me at sea. When I got back home, they were about the same as before I left. As others have said this has been a very bad year for seasonal allergy sufferers, the pollen counts have been extremely high.

If you suffer with seasonal allegies( and boy have they been bad this year) Do you feel they get better while cruising and visiting the carribean? I feel like crap now and don't want to have take a slew of allergy meds Cause I wanna take a slew of DOD's:D

I have HORRIBLE allergies and they were really bothering me before I went on my cruise a week ago. On the ship, I didn't have ANY problems.

This is the first year I've had pollen allergy problems. There isn't ANY pollen at sea, so I know I won't have a problem on board.....unless I get a BALCONY NEIGHBOR that smokes!!! :mad:

I'm hoping whatever is giving me issues this year in FL will not be in the Caribbean.

I wish I could convince my insurance to pay for me to move to one of the islands to cure my allergies.

That is so funny!! Let me know if you ever get that claim thru so I can start mine!!!

But to get to the question, everyone's allergies are different, but like most say, mine are much much better down in the Caribbean. Sometimes I have a few problems in the rain forests. I never thought of getting a cortisone shot before I leave I am going to add that to my list.

What are you allergic to? It has been really bad around here (I'm in Baltimore also)- when you come outside in the morning and my blue car has a green sheen to it...I know it's going to be a bad day!:(

I can't say how it will be while on the ship, but my allergies don't bother me in OC, so I would think it will be the same concept going out to sea...unless what you're allergic to are cool, salty breezes!:p

Have fun!!!

I think I am allergic to everything!!! Have not had formal testing just usually take zyrtec or some OTC allergy sinus. I have an doctors appt. next monday to discuss the hell I have been in this year. THIS YEAR...my eyes itch and run, sneezing, runny nose, ear pressure and headaches, and a cough at night.:( I would assume pollen and mold because they are not much better after rain. my car is a dark grayish silver but it has been greenish yellow for weeks. I have given up washing it. I need to feel better and het outta here soon.:confused:

Archived