Ratafia

ilovhywd

Does anyone know where you can purchase ratafia in Barcelona?

Several years ago, when you could still bring liquids on planes, we bought a bottle in the Barcelona Airport and brought it home, but since we will be visiting by ship this year, we'd like to buy some near the port or in town.

Thanks!

This stuff is made in nearby Besalu so I'm pretty sure you can buy it in Barcelona in any good booze shop (bodega) You could even try the food hall in Corte Ingles at the top of Ramblas , or the shops at the back of La Boqueria, or any supermarket. Never met anyone else who likes it! I went to Besalu to the Ratafia Festival - tastings of the stuff all over the village - after a few glasses, they all blur together! I bought a bottle and dropped it on my doorstep, just wasn't to be!

You'll appreciate this story ... After our 2006 cruise ended in Barcelona, we rented a car and drove to Besalu to see this fantastic town with Jewish roots. While purchasing some local crafts in one of the stores, I was offered a taste of ratafia. I loved it and wanted to buy some, but my husband said, "NO WAY ARE YOU CARRYING BOTTLES ON THE PLANE!!!!" But I buy a tiny bottle anyway.

So we get to Barcelona Airport the next day, and my husband gives me the leftover Euros to spend so I run right to to the liquor store to buy a bottle of ratafia. They didn't have it in the liquor store, but I found it in the delicatessen that sells cheeses and chocolates. I brought the bottle on the plane (you could still bring bottles in 2006) and when we got home, I don't know who liked it more, my husband or me!

So we can't find it anywhere in Florida, but there is a winery in Ontario, Canada, that bottles it, and we asked some Canadian friends to bring us 6 bottles since they were driving down to Florida with an empty car. The ratafia was good, but not as good as the Besalu or Barcelona product.

We will be in Barcelona on May 12 as part of a Mediterranean cruise, so we will spend the day hunting for ratafia at the places you suggested. And the funny thing is, I don't even like regular red or white wine!

Where do you live in the South of France? Our France port is Marseille on May 13. Instead of going into Provence (our favorite), we are actually going to take a city tour of Marseille. I read that it is a holiday, though.

THANK YOU, CHUANJO!

I saw your post just in time! We sail tomorrow from Fort Lauderdale!

Your information is so helpful; we should be able to find the stores on the Ramblas easily.

Thanks again!

I live on the Spanish border not far from Perpignan, so officially we are further south than the Riviera. The 13th May is Ascension Day and, yes, it is a holiday, which will spill over into Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It shouldn't hinder your plans, though. Marseilles is a lot more cosmopolitan than Aix. Enjoy your vacation. And good luck with the Ratafia.

• 5 years later...