Airfares to Australia

turtlemichael

I came across the following Qantas link for airfares to and within Australia from the US. It might be of interest to American cruisers embarking in Australia who want to also see a bit of the country beyond the scope of their cruise. I do not know how the fares compare to others available in the American market but they certainly look OK to me.

Hope it is useful anyway. It is a link that will probably be updated as more seasons are priced by Qantas.

http://www.australia.com/deals/Deals_listings/qantas_airpass_0405/Deals_Product_US.aust?L=en&C=US

One thing to add, which I've just found out about.

Qantas has started a domestic low-fare airline called Jetstar (although many people have much ruder nicknames for it than that). It's the usual low-fare rubbish - no personal space on board, no food or drink unless you pay extra (and through the nose) for it, scrum to board, etc. etc. This unit has taken over some of the leisure routes which used to be served by Qantas itself, with its much higher service levels.

However, some JQ flights still carry QF codes, and so if you book one of these airpasses you might end up on a JQ flight even though you're booked on a QF code. That could be a nasty shock - particularly if you end up forking out USD 100 per sector for it.

It's always worth checking, therefore, exactly which airline is operating which sector. Not that you can do very much about it if all flights on the route have been transferred to JQ, but at least you'll be forewarned and you can make informed decisions.

Archived