Best way to do one-way car rental POM to FLL

paminohio

Cruising from POM and flying out of FLL. Flight not until 4:30 so we want to rent a car for the day. Is it best to rent from POM and drop of at FLL, rent POM to POM and take $15 shuttle to FLL, or take $15 shuttle to FLL and rent and return there?

I have searched rental companies and threads here and can't really decide what is the cheapest and would cause the less hassle as well. Some sites were showing $75ish for a one-way rental which is why I thought using the shuttle may be best.

Anyone have any experience with this exact scenario?

Thanks!

Pam

Haven't experienced that same senario but I agree that one way rentals can be very expensive.

Do you have any specific plans in mind with the rental or are you just going to drive around?? If not, does your cruise line offer any excursions that could drop you off at FLL??

I might caution if you are flying out of FLL on a Sat or Sun when many ships are in port, the lines at check in and security can be very long..especially at Southwest. Make sure you give yourself alot of time and don't be cut short.

Depends upon how many are in your party - $15/per person for the shuttle means a $60 rental car pays for itself with a family of 4.:D

Avis and Hertz have downtown Miami locations, but they are not at POM; if they do not offer a shuttle then you are a $10 cab ride away. Other rental compainies are near MIA airport, which is a $25+ cab ride away.:eek:

Good luck!:)

Depends upon how many are in your party - $15/per person for the shuttle means a $60 rental car pays for itself with a family of 4.:D

Avis and Hertz have downtown Miami locations, but they are not at POM; if they do not offer a shuttle then you are a $10 cab ride away. Other rental compainies are near MIA airport, which is a $25+ cab ride away.:eek:

Good luck!:)

Hertz downtown (Southeast 1st Street) has a shuttle... they shuttled us to the port in January no charge... I assume they would pick you up also but best check it first...

We did this, but spent the night in Fort Lauderdale. We rented from Avis in downtown Miami. They did not have a shuttle, as OP said, cab was about $10. At the time we rented, they were not charging a one way drop fee, but have heard on these boards that some places are now charging this fee in south Florida. :(

Archived