Live From The Sun!

cruiserforlife

We have been on the Sun Princess since Tuesday. Our cabin is clean and our room steward is excellent. We had trouble with our toilet not working the first night spoke to room steward and he had it fixed. Our shower works fine.

We have traditonal dining and our staff is great. I was not happy with the table at first, but our tablemates are great so I am glad we didn't change tables. If you want to find us Mr. M we are at a table that sits 12 people, but there are only 10 of us because we are at near the waiter station. I think the food has been good. I tried escagots tonight and and they are pretty good.

The only thing that needs improvement so far is the immigration intoSt. Thomas in the mornning.

The trip has been great weather has been terrific sun every day. I would go on the Sun again

Phyllis

Thanks Bonnie,

We'll be in a mini on the Sun in a few days and we love them. The suite is for Richard's birthday in November...it will be a first for us. I think this suite has the smallest balcony of all the suites on the ship but I like the idea that its private and I'm glad to hear it will get some sun.

It looks like the stage is just below our suite...did you ever hear anything from the shows?

Thanks,

Debbie

We were also on the Sun Princess and disembarked on March 29th. We had a wonderful time. Mandoo in Grenada was very good and informative, as Ya Ya said and Hackshaws in St. Lucia was great, saw whales, dolphins, sea turtles and flying fish and went snorkeling all for $40.00 pp. We were in B417 a mini-suite and had Rodel as our room stewart, he was so nice and very friendly.

I found that when walking around the ship the staff was very friendly, always had a hello for you. We had Personal Choice and liked it very much, table 83. We made a standing reservation for 6:00pm and our waiters were the best, Jun and Anthony. Anthony was leaving the ship to go home to see his 11 month old daughter and he was so excited. We have said this was one of our best vacations. We also met our fellow cruisers from our roll call and enjoyed everyone. Hope everyone on the Sun now enjoys the cruise as much as we did.

We too were on the March 19th sailing of the Sun, and without question, we had a fantastic time......just as good a time as when we sailed her a year ago.

Not to be disloyal to the ship, but while on board, we booked her sister ship, the Sea Princess, for March 25th next year...14 days out of Lauderdale. 10 days is just not enough!

...and a special "hello" to all our Cruise Critic Roll Call friends who we met on board. Meeting and knowing you added to the terrifac time we had.

M&M

Hello

Debbie: There was not a bit of noise from the show room below our suite. All was always quiet except when the Captain made up for lost time while at Princess Cays for a medical emergency and then it was rather loud and rocky that night. But we did arrive at Saint Thomas on time so can't complain about that.

Margaret and Marc- we also have booked another cruise, this time on the Coral Princess for March 14, 2006 for the Panama canal. Should be great, would love to be able to do 14 days but there were enough crisis at home while we were gone 10 days I can't begin to imagine what would happen if we were gone any longer.

Judy, we booked a mini-suite for our next cruise. How does that compare to the suite as far as the bathroom and the storage space.

I hope our paths cross again some time in the near future.

Bonnie & George:)

judygolfing we will be in B 417 next week. I will let Rodel know you recommended him!

Bonnie jean we have been in the mini suites 2 other times,there is a walk in closet but it's a tight squeeze.

Bathroom is marble with jacuzzi tub and great shower

here are some photos of it:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gvre/detail?.dir=7256&.dnm=5d77.jpg&.src=ph

we also have booked another cruise, this time on the Coral Princess for March 14, 2006 for the Panama canal.

Judy, we booked a mini-suite for our next cruise. How does that compare to the suite as far as the bathroom and the storage space.

Bonnie Jean,

Maybe I am mistaken (and just poking in where I don't belong :o ) but aren't you talking about a mini suite on the Coral? I thought that the minis were only like these pictures if they were on the Sun class :confused: and that on the Coral they are more like those on the Grand class of ship.

Debbie,

Great pictures anyway!! I can never get enough images of these wonderful minis!! (Now that we've booked one:D ) Many thanks!

Isn't it amazing that you start with a 7 day cruise- not enough time. So you take a 9 day cruise and it was better-but not enough time. So you book a 10 day cruise and you know that it will be better- but again you know that we really need is the 14 day cruise. How long will it be before cruise lines book time shares? A 2 week cruise every year, transferable of course like RCI

For those aboard this week. Does the SUN have Coronas?

Hello all and please feel free to be jealous...

I am "live from the Sun" courtesy of FBrew. Having a wonderful time with her and the DH...love ya Phyllis. We have had incredible weather. The ship is in fantastic shape and I don't know what ANYONE has to complain about as far as wear and tear is concerned. Remember I am not a fish eater so before I say what comes next...everyone who has had the fish has said it was excellent. I have not been impressed with the food overall, Carnival has much better food, better flavor. We have not gone hungry mind you...it's just not what I'm interested in. The islands have been exquisite, sunshine everyday and frankly we have just gone non-stop...I'm exhausted. The staff is outstanding and I actually have been quite impressed with our head waiter...he has done many nice things for us...I think he might actually get a nice tip. :p Cabin is a little small but completely sufficient for our needs. We will be in Barbados tomorrow and am looking forward to another gorgeous day. We had a .....words cannot even express what a good time we had on the Nevis Sailaway excursion. I HIGHLY recommend it what a wonderful way to spend the day. Enjoy your Monday everyone, hope this gives you a little bit of a bright start to your morning. :D

So I have met Bococcelli...very nice couple and have enjoyed talking with them briefly.

MR M....where the heck are you? Do you know who we are? Wondering if you've figured it out... Yep, I'm the hot chick. LOL :eek:

Isn't that something you will be in the same mini suite. Rodel referred to my niece Brittany, as Brittany Spears when he met her, he was very nice. You will be close to the laundry, and the elevators. We thought it was a nice location. Closet is ok, we stored our luggage under the bed which helped. Drawer space in closet also. There were 3 of us and it was ok. Hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did.

judygolfing we will be in B 417 next week. I will let Rodel know you recommended him!

Bonnie jean we have been in the mini suites 2 other times,there is a walk in closet but it's a tight squeeze.

Bathroom is marble with jacuzzi tub and great shower

here are some photos of it:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gvre/detail?.dir=7256&.dnm=5d77.jpg&.src=ph

Isn't it amazing that you start with a 7 day cruise- not enough time. So you take a 9 day cruise and it was better-but not enough time. So you book a 10 day cruise and you know that it will be better- but again you know that we really need is the 14 day cruise. How long will it be before cruise lines book time shares? A 2 week cruise every year, transferable of course like RCI

For those aboard this week. Does the SUN have Coronas?

Bob, they are now booking timeshares. Look at the pop ups in the header. One of them links to a 'own a 6 star cabin' or something like that.

Our first cruise was a 7 day, as was the 2nd, but the 3rd was a 10 day and spoiled us so much the next 7 day was way too short. Now a 10 day this month and a 14 day over thanksgiving are giving way to plans for a B2B2B2B next year in Ak mixing a few coastal cruises with an Ak B2B for a 20 or 21 day total. Hey, its the 25th anniversary so I can really splurge, right?

We are on Emerald deck and cabin 334, I see on the deck plan that that is one floor down from the lobby, what is on emerlad deck, there are only a few cabins. Then Places called Illuminations and I cannot remember the other place and the a dining room. Is this deck noisy? It looks like the life boats are not an issue, as being in the window...

Thanks

we sail 5-30-05 Alaska

We just got off the Sun last week and were on the Emerald Deck....it is very convenient to the Dining Rooms and other facilities, and was perfectly quiet. Your room steward will be Arnel...he is great. Say "hello" to him from Marc and Margaret. We were so impressed with him that we wrote the Captain about him.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks so much for the tip on the cabin steward. We were just upgraded today. We had been on Aloha deck interior and the prices dropped by over 350 dollars for the interior and we called and then they moved us free of charge to emerald deck, outside..we are pleased.

We are going to Alaska and hubby is afraid of the sun coming up at 4am. BUT I dont want to have to run to the outside to see a view.

Thanks so much for the tip on the cabin steward. We were just upgraded today. We had been on Aloha deck interior and the prices dropped by over 350 dollars for the interior and we called and then they moved us free of charge to emerald deck, outside..we are pleased.

We are going to Alaska and hubby is afraid of the sun coming up at 4am. BUT I dont want to have to run to the outside to see a view.

Great upgrade...congratulations!

Would heartily agree with the 10 day to 14 day cruise - we did our first as a 10 day and on the 7th I thought - I'm not ready for this to end, glad it's 10 days - now I'm looking for the 14 or a B2B for the next one. Can you arrange on a B2B not to leave the ship or vacate the stateroom - would be so nice not to have to repack and unpack - anyone know the answer?

Ya Ya,

10 days seems about perfect to me too.7-nighters seem to fly-by too soon and honestly,we don't do 14 day cruises anymore because we just miss our fur-children (cats) too much to be away from them that long.

It's always nice to know that after 7 days have elapsed,you still have 3 more to go!

To answer your question,I'm certain it's possible to have the same cabin on a B2B.No unpacking,just enjoy your room while everyone else scurries around either getting off or getting on.

Would heartily agree with the 10 day to 14 day cruise - we did our first as a 10 day and on the 7th I thought - I'm not ready for this to end, glad it's 10 days - now I'm looking for the 14 or a B2B for the next one. Can you arrange on a B2B not to leave the ship or vacate the stateroom - would be so nice not to have to repack and unpack - anyone know the answer?

There are several threads on this, but the short answer is, whatever you want to pay for...

You can keep the same cabin by reservation, but basically forgo any chance of an upgrade. You can book guarantees, but will probably have to change cabins (and my understandings that your room steward will move your bags to your new cabin and you don't have to leave the ship).

We may try a B2B2B next May, but to keep the same cabin will probably cost a little more since all of my guarantees to date have upgraded a couple of categories at least.

We have a year before we're walking down the gangway. Keep the updates coming...

I was wondering if there is a Cruise Critic Logbook/Register in the library? I know others have started this on other ships. Great way to leave your mark.

We have a year before we're walking down the gangway. Keep the updates coming...

I was wondering if there is a Cruise Critic Logbook/Register in the library? I know others have started this on other ships. Great way to leave your mark.

Or you could just leave a journal under the bed as some have suggested...

I am so glad that this thread keeps on "cruising" along! It makes it easier to wait till the next cruise and keeps our memories of a great cruise fresh. We just booked on a 14 day on the Sea Princess, departing 2/25/06. We loved our Sun cruise so much this last Feb, that we decided 4 more days would be even better. We were amazed to find that all the balcony rooms and most of the outside rooms were already booked on the Sea. That paticular cruise seems to be a big hit with only 3 days at sea and the rest in port. Boy, we better eat our cheerios! If anyone would like to join us.....we would love the company.

CFL....we can relate to you missing your furry friends...as much as we hate to admit it, we miss our dog while we are gone and he really gets sad when he sees the luggage out now.

Keep those cruise reports coming in!

Tomorrow we have an early flight to FLL and will board the Sun with approx 60 others from the Roll Call we have had here. First cruise critic meeting will be at 5:30 PM after sailaway!! Looks like our cruise is sold out and has been for some time. Thanks for all the info and tips we have read here!!

We may try a B2B2B next May, but to keep the same cabin will probably cost a little more since all of my guarantees to date have upgraded a couple of categories at least.

I don't understand why you couldn't be upgraded with a b2b? I did one on HAL last summer ... had booked one-half of the trip as a graduation present from my family, then decided that seven days was just not enough and booked the second half about two months later. I had an inside guarantee on the first half, but there were no more guarantees on the second half and I had to take an assigned stateroom. I would have been in a different stateroom each week.

About three weeks prior to sailing I get a call from my TA. He tells me that he's got good news. I've been upgraded to a higher category stateroom for the guarantee (still inside, but better stateroom), and also that HAL had just gone ahead and given me that same stateroom for the second week, so I wouldn't have to move. Like I said, we're not talking major upgrades here, but a much better deck/size inside stateroom.

It's a pain for the cruiseline to move you as much as it is for you to move. Believe me, if they can work it out for you to stay in the same stateroom, they'll gladly do it. It saves them work.

As for getting off the ship, my experience was different. We had to get off on turnaround day, but only for about ten minutes. We filled out our customs form with "in transit" marked across the top, and nothing declared. We got off the ship, handed in the form, and then waited for about ten minutes in this lounge area (not where new passengers wait to board). We were then given the green light to go right back onto the ship ... long before others started boarding.

That turnaround day is great for taking pictures of the ship, and that's exactly what I used it for. There's no one around and you can really get some nice pictures of those areas you find particularly attractive, without having to worry about dodging all the people walking back and forth.

A b2b2b would be nice, but I think there would be an awful lot of duplication on such a cruise. With a b2b, you usually get different ports if the ship does an alternating eastern/western caribbean itinerary, and even menus may be changed around for the two different itineraries. But, I must admit, the thought sounds nice. I met someone on the Sun last January who was doing just that ... 30 glorious days. But I think I'd rather do my 30 days on one voyage that has a nice mix of port and sea days. A b2b2b on a Caribbean itinerary would just be too port-intensive for me. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived