Has anyone been?

I don't know if by the end of our week, my sons will want another coach trip to Barcelona(which hopefully I'm planning to do) so i'll need a backup plan. If anyone is going before July, I'd appreciate it if they could post a little bit about what it's like and how far you'd have to walk to get to beach, shops, restuarants etc. Thanks

Has anyone been?

I don't know if by the end of our week, my sons will want another coach trip to Barcelona(which hopefully I'm planning to do) so i'll need a backup plan. If anyone is going before July, I'd appreciate it if they could post a little bit about what it's like and how far you'd have to walk to get to beach, shops, restuarants etc. Thanks

At Palamos, you berth in town so it's easy to walk into the centre. I can't remember what the shops were like - but it's not a big place. I have a photos of an old street a bit reminiscent of the Gothic Quarter in Barcelona but it's nothing like as extensive - in fact it may only be a few streets.

In a sweep to the left of the ship is a wide stretch of beach where locals sunbathe and swim. The sand is a little coarse as I remember it but they are geared up to using the beach with taps at intervals to rinse your feet as you come off the beach. There is an attractive wide, pedestrianised, tree lined area/promenade (with canons along its length!) then a road between that and the buildings behind. Sorry, I can't recollect if there were many cafes or the like.

To the right of the berth you can walk, gaining height and look down on a harbour. It's a bit low-key as a destinations but o.k. We've been twice and it's not one of the more memorable stops - I'd definitely look to go on a trip if we were to go again but as it's your first time there, it will be of a little more interest and at least there is the possibility of a swim/beach stop should you wish.

Hopefully you'll get some more posts when people get back to tell you a bit more about it.

P.S. If you do a Google Earth on Palamos you will be able to pick up quite a few photos of the area.

Has anyone been?

Most people said the trip to Barcelona was a long day and those that went to the Dali Museum seemed happier. There is a good shopping street in Palamos and a nice beach too - great for a day in resort if you do not do one of the trips.

• 2 years later...

Archived