Good day in Merida!!

• 2 weeks later...
Ok...I am new to this, so I may not use proper etiquette!! ;) I think we are on the same cruise as you! Leaving Mobile on the 28th?

Anyway, this will be our 2nd cruise as a couple, & first as a family. I have been reading Diva's account, & am considering this for our family versus one of the paid excursions. Any opinions?

Maybe we should catch up with you John - sounds like you are quite experienced! (BTW we lived in High Point in 1999 - 2002.) Trying to make the most of our time & money! We'll be with our 3 teenage daughters!

You found the right board and right person to ask.....I came to these boards before my first cruise and boy was I glad.....John emailed me pics in advance and really whetted my appetite.....I had my dad and sis with me and they were both nervous Nellies about doing the tour on our own, but I just let them know I was going to do it, whether they came along or not.....so they went to keep me out of trouble:D

You will not be sorry if you go to Merida....I LOVED walking around and looking at the architecture and like other's have said, they people were SOOOOO friendly and helpful.......Even though we appeared to be the only English speaking people on the bus, it wasn't a big deal....although my dad and sis were scared to death we'd get on the wrong bus and wind up in the interior of Mexico and miss the ship......but it was so easy at the bus station to make sure you are on the right bus....I mean, how hard is it to read "Progresso"???? LOL.......

Once we got back to the ship at dinner that night and described our day to our tablemates, they were quite disappointed that they had chosen to stay on the ship cause someone told them "There's nothing to do in Progresso"......They were wishing they had went with us.....LOL

Thanks Diva for posting your review and bringing up good memories....and thanks HDawson for the good advice in the first place:D:)

We did the ruins in Progresso and had a blast.....the only bad thing it was 107 degrees that day with no breeze. Walked around the beach right as you get off the ship (Corona Beach) Decent beach with lots of friendly locals around. Police are always driving by....felt very safe. You will love Progresso

Clackey. Yea. BTW. Any luck in convincing Ginger?

She said that she can't get away from work. August and September are her 2 roughest months. I, on the other hand, am self-unemployed.:D

You found the right board and right person to ask.....I came to these boards before my first cruise and boy was I glad.....John emailed me pics in advance and really whetted my appetite.....I had my dad and sis with me and they were both nervous Nellies about doing the tour on our own, but I just let them know I was going to do it, whether they came along or not.....so they went to keep me out of trouble:D

You will not be sorry if you go to Merida....I LOVED walking around and looking at the architecture and like other's have said, they people were SOOOOO friendly and helpful.......Even though we appeared to be the only English speaking people on the bus, it wasn't a big deal....although my dad and sis were scared to death we'd get on the wrong bus and wind up in the interior of Mexico and miss the ship......but it was so easy at the bus station to make sure you are on the right bus....I mean, how hard is it to read "Progresso"???? LOL.......

Once we got back to the ship at dinner that night and described our day to our tablemates, they were quite disappointed that they had chosen to stay on the ship cause someone told them "There's nothing to do in Progresso"......They were wishing they had went with us.....LOL

Thanks Diva for posting your review and bringing up good memories....and thanks HDawson for the good advice in the first place:D:)

Thanks!!

But like you stated HDawson also help me alot in planning!

I was worried a bit because I was with a first time cruiser. I wanted to show her that going local can be fun!

It's sad that there have been other ports where people said "I never would get off the ship" or "There was nothing at all in that port". I can still recall in Guadeloupe standing in the middle of a sugarcane field on a warm Sunday morning or being on a small beach that we had to drive across a cow pasture to get to and only ten people there.

Go out and live life!!!

• 1 month later...

Diva, I really enjoyed reading your review of Merida. I was searching to see if someone had wrote a detailed posting about their day there, and so glad to find yours. I am glad you wrote about the store not taking anything other than pesos, we never convert over, glad I read this to know to convert some money over to pesos.

Thanks to hdawson I got on Yucatan today's site and I sent off for their free magazine and received it today with the map of Merida and ideas. I am really excited to finally be going there on our 4th cruise down there. lol We just always went to the beach and nothing else.

Thanks Sherrintxs!

Greta still tells people about our adventure in Merida.

I most likey will return to Merida again next year and have a better knowledge of what I want to do.

If you stay around the main areas, dollars are no problem, it's when we were in the area with more locals where the dollar wasn't readily acceptable.

Ok...I am new to this, so I may not use proper etiquette!! ;) I think we are on the same cruise as you! Leaving Mobile on the 28th?

Anyway, this will be our 2nd cruise as a couple, & first as a family. I have been reading Diva's account, & am considering this for our family versus one of the paid excursions. Any opinions?

Maybe we should catch up with you John - sounds like you are quite experienced! (BTW we lived in High Point in 1999 - 2002.) Trying to make the most of our time & money! We'll be with our 3 teenage daughters!

Hey Amazingmom5 and hdawson!

My family (2 boys--7 and 2) and I will be on that cruise too (August 28)...along with my parents and my in-laws (yes, it is a good thing!) This is EVERYONE'S first cruise! We are really excited. I am not sure if we will head into Merida just because of the ages and attention spans of our kiddos. Any suggestions (anyone) of "real" shopping in Progresso? or is that an oxymoron since it is a tourist town? H you seem to be the go-to guy around here any tips? I am fine with touring away from the cruise-line offers but I want it to be more than just a beach stop for us all...but I do love the beach! We want to do some shopping for deals and maybe eat some local cusine. Does Eric have any tour guides he recommends for Progresso? :D 40 days left!!!

csa03

Archived