First timer Cunard transatlantic

Highseaslife

We are considering transatlantic cruise in 2011 to celebrate our wedding anniversary and would welcome any advice in choosing which crossing ie should we opt for Southampton to New York? Also have some concerns as to weather conditions, our anniversary is in April but perhaps summer would be better? Somewhat confused about cabins, so many different options and think we would opt for Princess Grill but any advice appreciated.

Thank you all

:)

High Seas Life, Congratulations and welcome to Cunard trans Atlantic. The 2011 schedule shows April 19 as the first TA a seven day crossing from Southampton. I personally think that is a bit early. I was watching (checking the Bridge Cam) on the current east and westbound. There was pretty rough seas in days three and four eastbound. Westbound they are only into the third day.

While QM2 is designed as an Atlantic Liner, and you will have a realatively smooth crossing indoors, rough weather can interfere with enjoyment on deck. I think I would select a later crossing for myself. This year I am eastbound on 21st May and westbound on 1st June. I have also done July, August, September and October. October was a bit rough. The rest of the months were generally lovely, with some rain, but nothing to seriously worry about.

As to Princess Grill, I would absolutely suggest that for your accomodation. The Grills are a very pleasant way of traveling on this liner. The Suites are spacious, you have access to the Grills Terrace on 11 deck aft, and the Grills lounge on 7 deck accross from the Queens Grill. The food is broader in selection than the Britannia, and I personally like the idea of free style dining. When I want to. The Grills wait staff are I think better trained and make it a pleasure. Of course, you will have all of the venues aboard that all QM2 passengers enjoy as well.

You might look at the prices for the Queens Grill suites as sometime they are close to PG in price. The QGs are very nice and the Queens Grill is the best of all for ordering off menu.

With any of your date or accomodation options, you will truly enjoy this great Atlantic Liner

Mike

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Having done TAs in both directions, my advice would be to take a westbound crossing. You will gain an hour each day (except for one day on which they will not change the clocks - look for the absence of an announcement about time change), while the eastbound trips lose an hour each way. We found ourselves a little more tired on the eastbound crossing because of this. Also, since you are UK based, the overnight plane back from NY will land early in the morning, giving you the rest of the day to get back home, and allows for a full day in NY the day you fly.

Have a wonderful crossing!

We are considering transatlantic cruise in 2011 to celebrate our wedding anniversary and would welcome any advice in choosing which crossing ie should we opt for Southampton to New York? Also have some concerns as to weather conditions, our anniversary is in April but perhaps summer would be better? Somewhat confused about cabins, so many different options and think we would opt for Princess Grill but any advice appreciated.

Thank you all

We did our first TA last September with 2 nights stay in New York. We booked the full package which included transfers from port to hotel and visa versa via a TA through Cunard.

We fully enjoyed the experience as it was a first for both, never been at sea or to New York. It was our silver wedding and have some lovely photos as momentos.

Would recommend the QM2 because it is a beautiful liner. We are trying princess grill in May and have had lots of information from everybody on the boards. Now we cannot wait to board.

We had a inhull cabin, we found this very useful as you are protected from the wind whilst on the balcony.

What ever you decide you will have a wonderful time.

Catherine

I echo all the good advice on here. One other reason to do a westbound crossing is the arrival in New York City. Granted, you have to get up very very early in the morning for this, but its one of those travel experiences you never forget. Agree on timing with the above -- maybe go a little later if you can. That said, though, the North Atlantic is notoriously unpredictable, and honsetly you never know what you'll get with regard to weather.

Good solid advice from all the posters here. Grills, a wonderful experience, superb dining, go for QG though if you can. Butlers are great for in cabin entertaining and such :cool:. If your thinking Grills don't settle for Britannia Club as those cabins are the same size as any other balcony cabin aboard.

Westbound vs Eastbound, west wins hands down with the extra hour per day. Late May or June allows you to beat the summer high season. I have had millpond crossings in both those months, the Atlantic, however, is fickle.

Thank you all

We travelled PG,in April,on a WB transat.....we had 1 day where the sea was "busy",but we hardly noticed any movement...enjoy!

We're on an Eastbound TA in August after flying out to New York.

The reasons? It's our first visit to New York and so we are going to be tired after exploring (and, no doubt, shopping) at the end of five days. To return home immediately following would not be ideal and the TA offers a gradual return to health! In addition, we decided that it would be a pleasant change to spread the jet lag (we always find E-W more problematic than W-E) over the five day cruise rather than the usual overnight flight.

YMMV

Archived