what to feed young picky eaters in Mexico?

TwoGrills

My girls are 6 and 8 and don't eat much Mexican food let alone drink any soda... I am trying to plan ahead and need ideas of food and drink from the cruiseship to take on our tours for them? Is this possible? I am told that I can't bring any of this from home so not sure what to do.

any advice would be great!

My girls are 6 and 8 and don't eat much Mexican food let alone drink any soda... I am trying to plan ahead and need ideas of food and drink from the cruiseship to take on our tours for them? Is this possible? I am told that I can't bring any of this from home so not sure what to do.

You can bring any food and beverages aboard for the girls, from home, that you want. You can not take food off the ship unless it is pre-packaged and processed. Examples would include things like snack bars, juice boxes, etc. No fruit, no sandwiches, no food prepared aboard the ship.

The ports of call where your ship will stop have plenty of non-Mexican food options available for you girls.

Some thoughts:

The variety of food in Mexico is expansive - lots to choose from.

Drinks:

Mexicans seem to love freshly-made juice drinks made from whatever fruits are most pleantiful at the moment, including: Pineapple, Watermelon, Mango, Cateloupe, Hibiscus flower, Tamarindo, Rice Water. Fresh fruit is sliced and placed into a blender with water and mixed and the result is a wonderfully flavorful drink. The drinks are good for your health and avoid carbonation and pop.

Food:

Quesadillas: Typically a corn tortilla warmed and filled with cheese and also various vegetables (edible flowers, mushrooms, etc.).

Tacos: Typically a soft (not shell) corn tortilla warmed and filled with meat (chicken, beef, fish), lettuce, onions, etc.

Tortas: These are sandwiches. Just about any sandwich you can think of is available - chicken, beef, pork, vegetarian.

Platters: Restaurants serve a variety of meals on a platter: fish, beef, chicken, turkey. These lunches or dinners are typically served with a small green salad, portion of pinto or black beans, portion of rice. All of these things come on the same platter.

Bakery products: I like Mexican bakery items, the origin of which are in French baking.

There are many more options others will probably recommend.

It's commonplace in most of Mexico, from what I've experienced, for persons to add salsas, chili peppers and other seasonings at the table. Diners have the choice of how to spice their meals - it's not typically done in the kitchen - not to any degree that you or the children would probably find strong or offensive (if you or they are sensitive to spices).

I think you'll find many opportunities to eat/drink which you and the children will enjoy.

I have been on numerous Mexican Riviera cruises. I have seen them stop people from taking fresh fruit off the ship. When my son was young we took Granola bars with us to take on shore. We also have taken some small sandwiches off the ship that we made in the buffet. I would not take fresh fruits and vegetables off, but other food and snacks should be OK. On shore I would buy nothing to eat but water or soda in the bottle or can. No ice either. They say the ice is purified, but I don't always trust them.

Well that's a tough one. Perhaps on the morning of your stop in port you could go up to the buffet and (with the girls help) pick out a few items that you could wrap up and take with you. As far as drinks - does bottled water work ?

Remember you are not allowed to bring any meat or fruits from the ship ashore. Sometimes bags are checked for this. This rule isnot just in Mexico but in many other countries too.

You can bring crackers, cereals, chocolates (not a great idea in the warm climate) etc.

But your girls might like to try and eat some quesadillas, (tortillas filled with cheese). Also of course you can get french fries and often hamburgers in many places.

In many places you will find some nice lemonades without gas.

I guess either might technically not be allowed from your post above. The cruiseship I know has mentioned to us disembarking to not take food from the ship into port. I don't know if it varies from cruiselines. We have always brought snacks form home for our little ones both for on the ship & port days. On the ship was sometimes useful to have in the MDR if dinner was taking a bit of time to arrive. Port days to have for the picky eaters. Just make sure you don't bring anything that would violate agriculture laws, etc-- have never had an issue w/ yogurt pretzels, granola bars, when we leave from our home port we sometimes bring cheese sticks- When we traveled w/ infants- we would bring milk cartons from the Lido buffet and the staff were happy to put our freezer packs in their freezer over night. The staff were also happy to let us take a box of cereal or yogurt cup, etc w/ us when we explained we were just taking them for the little ones. Muffins, already cut up fruit (no whole fruit), cold plain pasta, ham or turkey slices (we usually bring a pack of ham or turkey w. us again if we leave from our home port)

You are not allowed to take food off, but they don't usually search your bags when you leave just when you come back :) I often take some cookies,crackers or fruit in my beach bag. You can buy bottled water anywhere and they do allow you to take that off the ship. Most places have something they might like. Otherwise we divide our day trips up. A quick tour in the morning and return to the ship for lunch then off again for the afternoon.

also we have brought horizon non refrigerated milk or the Hersheys choc milk or juice boxes before on occasion. But our kids are happy to drink water- so we usually don't bother--

We also brought small rubbermaid/tupperware cups or ziplocs with us on previous cruises to put the snacks that we brought from home or any items that we asked the cruise ship if we could take.

I often take some cookies,crackers or fruit in my beach bag.

Nice, advocating that someone break the rules of the country they are visiting. :rolleyes:

You are not allowed to take unpackaged foods off the ship. And in some countries you are not allowed to take ANY food products at all ashore.

OP -- you can take packaged granola bars with you onto the ship when you embark. If I were you, I'd be working with the kids now, to see if you can expand their willingness to try new things (yeah, I know -- easier said than done!)

You are not allowed to take food off, but they don't usually search your bags when you leave just when you come back :) I often take some cookies,crackers or fruit in my beach bag. You can buy bottled water anywhere and they do allow you to take that off the ship. Most places have something they might like. Otherwise we divide our day trips up. A quick tour in the morning and return to the ship for lunch then off again for the afternoon.

Cabo does check all bags for fruit and food. That is the most strict port we have visited.

Nice, advocating that someone break the rules of the country they are visiting. :rolleyes:

You are not allowed to take unpackaged foods off the ship. And in some countries you are not allowed to take ANY food products at all ashore.

About restricted food items, here are the restrictions as published by the Mexican government:

“The Ministry of Agriculture prohibits the following goods since they represent a great risk for the introduction of plagues and diseases: earth, straw, padded containers of hay, straw decorations without processing; homemade foods; flours of animal origin; fresh, dry, canned or frozen meat and meat products, such as smoky, salted and mature sausages that have been elaborated in countries under absolute quarantine (Europe, Africa, Asia and South America). For additional information please visit the website www.sagarpa.gob.mx”

The list is far less restrictive than some people may think. Some of the “restrictions” being talked about are probably those of the cruise lines who likely don’t’ want passengers disembarking with food taken from the ships because it could be an added expense.

To learn more:

http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2007/A_Pasajeros_Arribar_al_Pais_English.htm

Thanks for all of the info.

I am told I can't take anything but a half empty water bottle on board and no food of any kind whatsoever from home. My kids love water so that may be about it unless they suddenly become interested in new foods or they just get hungry enough... Hopefuly the latter will kick in...

Thanks

Cruising in mid-July...

I will just tell my kids that they can only bring packaged food off the boat and bottled water. A little roughing it

won't hurt them and maybe they will enjoy some 'new' great food with us.

Any place to get Gatorade or similar drink since it will be hot and humid in July when we go?

Thanks....

I will just tell my kids that they can only bring packaged food off the boat and bottled water. A little roughing it

won't hurt them and maybe they will enjoy some 'new' great food with us.

Any place to get Gatorade or similar drink since it will be hot and humid in July when we go?

Thanks....

On almost any streetcorner you will see an OXXO shop, similar to 7 eleven.

So GoMexico, I tried that link you posted and got a page about clearing Customs at the airport that showed the info you quoted. The other link you cite returns an "Internet Explorer cannot display the page" message.

When I did a bit of Googling, I found this page:

http://www.cancun-airport.com/customs.htm

which says.....

You are not allowed to bring food, fruits and/or products that are not "company" packed and sealed. And if you are bringing food or products they are allowed only if you need them because of a special diet or for medical reasons.

So I see "fruit" in the list from the Cancun airport.

When in doubt, go directly to the source: why not call the Mexican consulate closest to where you live, and ask the question directly - maybe it'll be something you can have better confidence in relying upon.

Archived