Things to do in Cadiz???

shifty

We'll be docking in Cadiz on August 18th, and don't feature the long Rt to/from Seville. Does anyone have suggestions as to what to do in Cadiz?

Thanks.

Mike S

do a search on this board and get some idea's,but a nice way to spend time there is to follow the taped/painted route on the street that guides you around the city.You can stop at one of the plaza's and have some coffee and enjoy the local flavor,do some shopping(some really good leather shops and reasonale prices in Cadiz) and then continue on your tour.It really is a fun way to spend some time there IMHO.Stop at the tourist info center and get a city map too.

If you have enough time you can combine Jerez (45 min train or bus ride) with Cadiz. Otherwise you can wander around the narrow streets of old town, visit the market, eat lunch, go the beach (Victoria beach is about 30 walk), etc. There is also a tourist HOHO bus that stops near the port. http://www.cadiztour.com/cadiz/infocadiz_ing.html. To me it's not worth 12 euros as old Cadiz is reasonably small.

we did the ho ho's & it really was a short loop. but we could not have walked that distance. there is a topiary park, sorry i don't remember the name, but its close to the end of the trip that was very nice. but if your a walker i agree the hoho is not worth the price, dh uses a wheelchair so for us it was ideal. when we got off we gave our tickets to fellow pax's that just happened to be in line, so @ least they didn't go to waste.

Cadiz is a wonderful city to explore on foot

pick up the walkers map and follow the different routes (all coloured)

Have fun at the Torre Tower (4 euros); wonderful informative and in our opinion, full of great info (you need to climb stairs)

we did not anticipate much to do in this town/city and we are pleasantly surprised

we did not feel that we missed anything at all. you can buy sherry in any of the local stores.

• 2 weeks later...
we did the ho ho's & it really was a short loop. but we could not have walked that distance. there is a topiary park, sorry i don't remember the name, but its close to the end of the trip that was very nice. but if your a walker i agree the hoho is not worth the price, dh uses a wheelchair so for us it was ideal. when we got off we gave our tickets to fellow pax's that just happened to be in line, so @ least they didn't go to waste.

I used the Ho-Ho bus for one full loop to listen to commentary and get my bearings. Then, got off at the beach and lunched,walked, watched sand sculptors who were camped there for the week-end to create a work over a couple of days. Then rode to the Topiary Garden you mentioned which we loved. From there is was a nice, level, easy walk on a lovely promenade along the water to the "town" and eventually back to the ship.

This approach involved a fair amount of walking, but allowed me to get out to the beach area, ride on over to the Topiary Garden and still have a leisurely, manageable walk through town.

Any way to get to Gibraltar from Cadiz, as a day trip? There are 6 of us. Any suggestions on hiring a car and driver, or is it too far?

Gibraltar is about 1 hr 45 min away (85 mi) from Cadiz according to ViaMichelin. You can rent a car to drive there. It's an easy drive. However, you may encounter some delay when entering Gibraltar. Remember to bring your passport with you.

BTW, from Cadiz, Seville is actually closer than Gibraltar (about 1.5 hrs away). IMHO. Seville is more interesting than Gibraltar.

Archived