Cliveden House

Has anyone stayed here and your thoughts would be appereciated. What is there to see in that town? Thanks;)

Yes,I have stayed here many times,in fact I had lunch there last Sunday.

It is not in a town but in a small place called Taplow,which is on the river Thames.There are over three hundred acres of grounds and formal gardens.Windsor is not far away and also Marlow,Henley and Bray.

The location is near to Heathrow and is well worth a visit.

William Waldorf Astor bought the house in 1893 and after giving it to his son in 1906 it became the place to be, in the highest social circle.

Cliveden itself is not actually on the Thames although it's fairly close by (in a taxi or by car) at places such as Maidenhead Bridge where's there a lovely walk along the river to Boulters Lock. The countryside around there is gorgeous and there's plenty of small pubs which do some wonderful lunches.

As previously mentioned, Windsor is only 10-15 minutes away as well as other beautiful little towns on the river such as Henley & Marlow etc.

http://www.clivedenhouse.co.uk/

It is not in a town but in a small place called Taplow,which is on the river Thames.There are over three hundred acres of grounds and formal gardens.Windsor is not far away and also Marlow,Henley and Bray.
Cliveden itself is not actually on the Thames
I wouldn't even say it's in Taplow. It's really a country house, as you can see from this Google picture, although there is more built-up stuff nearby than there was when it was itself built.

You'll see that the Thames is at "the bottom of the garden".

If you stay at Cliveden, you may well be in the market for lunch at the Waterside Inn in Bray. That's another great experience.

... it became the place to be, in the highest social circle.
Especially the swimming pool, I hear. ;)

I wouldn't even say it's in Taplow. It's really a country house, as you can see from this Google picture, although there is more built-up stuff nearby than there was when it was itself built.

You'll see that the Thames is at "the bottom of the garden".

If you stay at Cliveden, you may well be in the market for lunch at the Waterside Inn in Bray. That's another great experience.Especially the swimming pool, I hear. ;)

I've been there a good few times in the dim & distant past (business calls re National Trust, not hotel) and agree with Globaliser

It's an interesting & historic house, belongs to the National Trust, I'm presuming (though you might want to check) that the hotel is within the house itself. They get day-visitors but probably your bedroom & other "hotel" parts are off-bounds :D

Yes, the extensive grounds border the River Thames.

Affluent area, lots of lovely country walks & places of interest such as Eton/Windsor just a few miles away but there's only countryside in walking distance, no town nearby, & public transport very limited - don't even consider it unless you have a car.

John Bull

• 2 weeks later...
I've been there a good few times in the dim & distant past (business calls re National Trust, not hotel) and agree with Globaliser

It's an interesting & historic house, belongs to the National Trust, I'm presuming (though you might want to check) that the hotel is within the house itself. They get day-visitors but probably your bedroom & other "hotel" parts are off-bounds :D

Yes, the extensive grounds border the River Thames.

Affluent area, lots of lovely country walks & places of interest such as Eton/Windsor just a few miles away but there's only countryside in walking distance, no town nearby, & public transport very limited - don't even consider it unless you have a car.

John Bull

There is NO public transport. Although a very short distance - but too far to walk, and no pavement/sidewalk some of the way - there are buses and a train into London.

My horse 'lives' down the road and my friend lives on the Cliveden Estate.

Actually, there is a taxi company at Taplow Station - probably about £6/7 to the station or the A4 where there is a bus.

I agree that a car would be best to enjoy the area. There is nothing actually there - a few nice walks etc. No interesting town apart from Windsor and although its close, not easy to get to without a car.

This is a great place to 'chill out', but not as a centre for sightseeing!!

There is NO public transport. Although a very short distance - but too far to walk, and no pavement/sidewalk some of the way - there are buses and a train into London.

My horse 'lives' down the road and my friend lives on the Cliveden Estate.

Actually, there is a taxi company at Taplow Station - probably about £6/7 to the station or the A4 where there is a bus.

I agree that a car would be best to enjoy the area. There is nothing actually there - a few nice walks etc. No interesting town apart from Windsor and although its close, not easy to get to without a car.

This is a great place to 'chill out', but not as a centre for sightseeing!!

It is a place to arrive and depart by car,I don't think that they actively look to attract those that take the bus.:)

Archived