Should I upgrade my balcony?

smyemar

Hi all! In the past I have only ever stayed in an Inside stateroom. DH is turning the big 50 in September and we are in our first Balcony cabin! It is an 8C and now I am wondering if I should upgrade to an 8m or even a 9C? What do you think? Are the bigger balconies worth the extra money? We are on the Valor. Thanks for your advice!:o

The only difference between an 8C and an 8M is the view. The cabins will be the same. I'd prefer an 8M but wouldn't upgrade just because of the view.

OTOH...9C's have an awesome balcony. The Big 5-0 is a milestone so I say if you have the funds....do it!

I have a 9C on Valor in a couple of weeks. And I've had one on Victory, before they were classified as 9C's. I've been just as happy on a standard balcony though.

The money you'd save by staying put could be spent on other types of celebratory things!

The additional money you spend will not be worth the change. The only view that will be different is you will be higher up. If you upgrade high enough that the actual balcony size changes then that changes things. The larger balcony may be nice, but by no means a necessity. I think if this is your first balcony then just go with it and enjoy. It will be a nice enough treat all in itself. If on a later cruise you feel a larger balcony is needed then you will at least have made an educated decision on what is best for you. Happy cruising.

Hi Smyemar, I guess everyone has their reasons why they choose their specific cabins. I can share with you our reasoning. This is our first cruise and we knew we wanted a balcony-mid ship, but wern't sure on the catagory. Since we are new to cruising, we used a PVP, he did a wonderful job of suggesting different catagories and deck locations giving us both the pros and cons of each. We originally really wanted an extended balcony as my BF is almost 6'5" and our PVP said the extra leg room for him would be beneficial. We pondered this for a day or two, even measuring the balcony areas out on our living room rug to get a better idea of the extra space. We realized that the regular balcony would work fine and the difference in the price from the 8k on deck 8 to a 8d deck 6 was $160. We ultimately decided to go with the 8d and use the extra $$ towards our plane tickets or an excursion. We would have even considered an 8 a,b or c which would have saved us even more, but there were none avaliable in a middle location. ( I am really paraniod about sea-sickness, so this is a location that was recommended to me as a first timer.) With the help of our PVP we were able to get an 8d great mid-ship locatioin.

If money were not an issue, then yes we would have gone for the extended balcony, but as a previous poster said, being first cruisers. we are just going to go and experience the cruise and make any future choices based upon our experiences. To be honest, if I had been on these boards proir to booking the cruise, I may have even considered a cat 7 ob with one of the smaller life boats outside. There have been many pictures of these ob cabins and for the price it may be totally worth it.

I hope you have a great 50th and have a wonderful cruise. Cari & Rick :)

.....as a treat to myself and my son, I booked an aft wrap, 5266 on the Miracle.

If I could afford it I would do it again. It was a great room, had a lot of good times that week.

Not all balconies are the same. If the price wasn't much more, I would definitely take an 8M (aft balcony). I love the view, I love the wake, I love the sound.

(I hate the long walk to the front of the ship, but it does help reduce that weight gain on the cruise ;)).

wasiii

ps this was my 2600th post!

Archived