Eden Rock Water - deep?

flyorange

ok. i guess this is a dumb question but i really have no idea. so gathering from what everyone has been saying, it's not THAT hard for a 1st timer to snorkel at Eden Rock. but i have another question, how deep is the water at Eden Rock ? (we'd be renting the snorkeling gear from Eden Rock Dive Center). Is the water shallow or is it pretty deep? from what it looks on the picture, it doesn't look too shallow since you'd be going down a ladder/steps? if it's too deep then i don't know if my 60 yo mom who doesn't know how to swim would be comfortable enough to go in there..

thanks!

The water is 4 feet deep by the ladder and gets deeper the further out you swim 15 feet to 40 feet (I think). To get out by the reef you need to swim out by the buoys (we were told to swim by the pink one when we were there in March). Recommend you rent a life jacket. There are no lifeguards on duty there so I guess it depends on your comfort level helping your Mom and your Mom's comfort level. It may take a little practice to get used to breathing correctly when snorkeling, top that off with not knowing how to swim (may not be a great experience for anyone - only you can determine this). There is a nice covered restaurant next door - Paradise Cafe where she could hang out while everyone else snorkels or she can go shopping across the street and meet you at a certain time. There are two lounge chairs. If available she could just hang out there, read, relax, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks guys. Yeah that's what I thought too so we are going on the explore cayman tour instead :)

You could try to do the Rays and coral gardens tour with nativewaysports.com It includes easy snorkling with help with guides. plus you get to see the stingrays. It would be a nice introduction to snorkeling.

Maggie

Archived