Electronics

nschurr

Hello,

The newer cameras you can often find a bit cheaper here in St. Thomas; how much cheaper depends on the model and sometimes your bargaining ability. The older stuff; the stores in the states you named and also online retailers often discount as new models come out - so those you don't find as good a discount on. Also often the two camera shops here Boochands and Royal Caribbean will throw in a camera bag and other accessiories which makes the package a greater savings... $50-$100 in free accessories. Do your homework; see what the cameras you are interested in are going for back home, online... so you have those numbers to use when bargaining on the price on STT. Also you might ask those stores you named if they offer any store warranties... that might be a reason to buy it at home rather then in the islands.

--Islander
Vinow.com

Hi there. Since you live in St. Thomas, could you perhaps inform me about the price of cigarettes on St. Thomas? I know they're cheaper, but how cheaper?

Also, I'm looking into getting a new computer and I know my parents got a good deal on a camera when they were in St. Thomas. We're going back now. I'm considering getting a laptop there, I know my stuff and what things should cost. Are there a lot of computer dealers there, particularily ones that sell Apple computers? Thanks so much.

-Brian

Hello Brian,

There aren't many computer shops here; Radio Shack, Office Max and one or two local businesses. In general (unless there is a discountinued sale of some sort on older models...) you will pay more for a computer here (several hundred more).

--Islander
Vinow.com

Thanks for that info, Islander. Too bad about that. What about cigarettes? My mother would like to purchase some there when we're on vacation. Are they substantialy cheaper where you are than here in the states?

Again, thanks so much.

-Brian

Archived