Taxis in Roatan

wernew2cruising

All we want to do in Roatan is go to Haft Moon Bay and snorkel and swim. I sent a message to Theris Dixon tours, because we have used her company before and had a great experience, but she wants to charge us $75 to take us there and back. No other sightseeing included. There are 3 of us. Is it possible to get a taxi to do this and if so will they come back and pick you up?

OR, where Carnival docks can you snorkel there and do some good open water swim practicing? My daughter is in training for a half ironman event and wants to take this opportunity to swim in the ocean since that is not possible where we live.

Thanks for the help/advice.

All we want to do in Roatan is go to Haft Moon Bay and snorkel and swim. I sent a message to Theris Dixon tours, because we have used her company before and had a great experience, but she wants to charge us $75 to take us there and back. No other sightseeing included. There are 3 of us. Is it possible to get a taxi to do this and if so will they come back and pick you up?

OR, where Carnival docks can you snorkel there and do some good open water swim practicing? My daughter is in training for a half ironman event and wants to take this opportunity to swim in the ocean since that is not possible where we live.

Thanks for the help/advice.

Actually from Mahoganey Bay $75 isn't a bad deal for RT for 3 people. you can swim at MBCC, but the swim area isn't at the ocean, it's at a rather calm shallow inlet somewhat protected. ther eis a channel tot he ocena where they let paddleboats and kayaks go, but I don't think they allow people to swim there. Pay the fare. Let Theris help you find the right section of beach for your daughter to swim and possible one of you accompany her in a kayak. You'll probably have better ocean breaker conditions at West Bay or Sandy Bay than West End village area and less crowds on spots.

We were there in Feb. on Princess. From Mahogany Bay, they charged us $20.00 per person, round trip to Half Moon Bay. We told the driver we wanted to snorkel and he took us to a nice little beach bar/restaurant that had a "beach" area with loungers and a set of steps leading down into the water. The snorkeling was very nice there.

I have no idea what the name of the place was, but it is on the eastern edge of HMB, it's a short distance away from the main beach area. We didn't eat there but the food looked good and the cerveza was cold.

The driver hung out there and waited for us until we were ready to leave. He didnt' speak a lot of English so having a little Spanish was definately helpful.

Archived