flip flops in the MDR

I say cover your feet....i don't wanna stare at the most disgusting part of your body while i'm trying to eat. Just thinking of it makes me wanna puke....please wear shoes and save the splatter!

And yes i'm serious...i gag washing my own feet!

Sounds as if you have a problem. But the question wasn't what our opinion was so much as what RCI allows. RCI allows flip flops in the MDR for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The only thing they don't allow is bare feet, which should bring you some degree of comfort.

First of all, let me say that "yes you can!" wear flip flops in the dining room. RCCL will not stop you and I have seen it many times before. And, it's true that their are long table cloths draping the tables that will probably hide your feet while you eat.

But, before you decide to slip into those flip flops before dinner, let me ask you to take a few other things into consideration that many of your fellow passengers will be focusing on when you walk into the dining room with your flip flops on, even though they may not have the courage to say anything:

1. RCCL has designed very nice, elegant dining rooms with nice fixtures and appointments.
  2. Most every night, there will be a violinist playing during your dinner. He and his piano accompanist will be wearing tuxedos.
  3. All of the wait staff will be wearing pressed tuxedos with a vest and will be groomed to perfection.
  4. When you arrive at your table, they will pull the chairs out for you allowing you to take a seat, they will unfold the cloth napkin and place it in your lap. They will hand you a menu that is not laminated but in a specially designed holder.
  5. Before you at the table you will find a full piece place setting of dishes, silverware, and glassware for your meal, comparable to a very nice restaurant anywhere.
  6. Your wait staff will work painstakingly all evening to make sure your table is kept clean.
  7. I would venture to say that 98%+ of the passengers around you will have some sort of shoes and/or socks on.
  8. I would also guess that 100% of the passengers that you pass by walking to and from your table each evening will notice your flip flops, especially the "flip-flop flip-flop" noise they make as you walk by.
  9. Out of those people that see you walk by each evening, some will probably be somewhat offended by your bare feet. They won't say anything, but some will be offended nonetheless.
  10. Most folks that wear flip flops don't do a smell check of their feet before they venture off into public.

If everyone around you is going to so much trouble to have a nice dinner in a great atmosphere, I would suggest that you consider spending a dollar or two on a pair of socks and maybe a few more dollars on a nice pair of shoes. Even a nice pair of sandals would be preferable to flip flops. It's the least you can do for your fellow passengers.

But, then again, it's your vacation. I am sure you will do as you please and have a great trip! Thanks for listening.

-TxBubba

I say cover your feet....i don't wanna stare at the most disgusting part of your body while i'm trying to eat. Just thinking of it makes me wanna puke....please wear shoes and save the splatter!

The feet are the most disgusting part of a persons body ?

You aint seen the rest of my body darling !! :D

Just because YOU have gross feet, doesn't mean the rest of the population does:) Regardless of whether I wear flip-flops (and I have "nice" flip-flops that are more of a thong sandal with absolutely NO rubber on them) or dress shoes - the majority of my shoes are OPEN TOED. There is NO way I am wearing stilettos on a cruise - one drink and I would fall flat on my face with the movement. In the summer, I pay $50 every other week to keep my toes viewer friendly:)

Here's my take - I wouldn't recommend wearing the flip-flops that you wear out to the pool/beach every day but a nice clean pair should be fine paired with a sundress or capris etc.

First of all, let me say that "yes you can!" wear flip flops in the dining room. RCCL will not stop you and I have seen it many times before. And, it's true that their are long table cloths draping the tables that will probably hide your feet while you eat.

But, before you decide to slip into those flip flops before dinner, let me ask you to take a few other things into consideration that many of your fellow passengers will be focusing on when you walk into the dining room with your flip flops on, even though they may not have the courage to say anything:

1. RCCL has designed very nice, elegant dining rooms with nice fixtures and appointments.
  2. Most every night, there will be a violinist playing during your dinner. He and his piano accompanist will be wearing tuxedos.
  3. All of the wait staff will be wearing pressed tuxedos with a vest and will be groomed to perfection.
  4. When you arrive at your table, they will pull the chairs out for you allowing you to take a seat, they will unfold the cloth napkin and place it in your lap. They will hand you a menu that is not laminated but in a specially designed holder.
  5. Before you at the table you will find a full piece place setting of dishes, silverware, and glassware for your meal, comparable to a very nice restaurant anywhere.
  6. Your wait staff will work painstakingly all evening to make sure your table is kept clean.
  7. I would venture to say that 98%+ of the passengers around you will have some sort of shoes and/or socks on.
  8. I would also guess that 100% of the passengers that you pass by walking to and from your table each evening will notice your flip flops, especially the "flip-flop flip-flop" noise they make as you walk by.
  9. Out of those people that see you walk by each evening, some will probably be somewhat offended by your bare feet. They won't say anything, but some will be offended nonetheless.
  10. Most folks that wear flip flops don't do a smell check of their feet before they venture off into public.

If everyone around you is going to so much trouble to have a nice dinner in a great atmosphere, I would suggest that you consider spending a dollar or two on a pair of socks and maybe a few more dollars on a nice pair of shoes. Even a nice pair of sandals would be preferable to flip flops. It's the least you can do for your fellow passengers.

But, then again, it's your vacation. I am sure you will do as you please and have a great trip! Thanks for listening.

-TxBubba

Well said, TxBubba!

Just show up wearing a sandwich board stating "It's my vacation, I'll do what I want". That should cover you for any other rules you want to bend or break.....LOL

Seriously....why all the nonconformity on cruise ships?

Just show up wearing a sandwich board stating "It's my vacation, I'll do what I want". That should cover you for any other rules you want to bend or break.....LOL

Seriously....why all the nonconformity on cruise ships?

Because it's ALL ABOUT ME ME ME ME!!!!! :p

ok i've read everything people have to say and I promise i will always have clean feet no smells cause im a freak about dirty feet and i will wear clean flip flops to the dining room not the ones i had on at the pool and make the noise when water has gotten into the rubber.and my toes will have had a recent pedicure, i do not wear heels but on formal night i will force myself to put on 1 inch heels any higher and i'll be taller then the husband. but once dinner is over the heels will be off and the the flip flops will be back on.so now im off to the store to find more flip flops made of material not rubber and if i offend you in the MDR i am very sorry. thanks for all the great info from everyone:) looking forward to first cruise and first vacation in over 3 years thanks to Army duties!

Ok... I just have to say that for women (I am 27 if that matters) I think it would be perfectly fine to wear cute thong sandals or nice flip flops in this type of atmosphere (not old navy rubber flip flops, but pretty ones). That is PERFECT for a cruise - especially in warmer climates, ladies like to wear sundresses and capris. I doubt many women wear socks and shoes with these types of outfits. For men, sure maybe flip-flops aren't so approporiate to wear with khakis - maybe boat shoes are better, or dress shoes. I wear pretty sandals, some with heels, some flat like thongs, to fancy restaurants all the time - why in the MDR does everyone have to be so conservatively dressed?? Maybe its a generation gap thing... I'm young, I like to dress cute and fashionable, and am not wearing socks and shoes on a cruise... my toes will be a pretty pink and I'd like to show them off. :D

wear what evers comfortable and SAFE. I saw a lady fall head first down stairs beside MDR after she caught her heel wearing high strappy sandals. So for me its flip flops and low mules every time.

So true, I had a strapless 3 inch heel come right off my foot when I caught it in a plank while walking past one of the bars on MOTS. Thank goodness my DH was there to catch me.

Ok... I just have to say that for women (I am 27 if that matters) I think it would be perfectly fine to wear cute thong sandals or nice flip flops in this type of atmosphere (not old navy rubber flip flops, but pretty ones). That is PERFECT for a cruise - especially in warmer climates, ladies like to wear sundresses and capris. I doubt many women wear socks and shoes with these types of outfits. For men, sure maybe flip-flops aren't so approporiate to wear with khakis - maybe boat shoes are better, or dress shoes. I wear pretty sandals, some with heels, some flat like thongs, to fancy restaurants all the time - why in the MDR does everyone have to be so conservatively dressed?? Maybe its a generation gap thing... I'm young, I like to dress cute and fashionable, and am not wearing socks and shoes on a cruise... my toes will be a pretty pink and I'd like to show them off. :D

No, I am 50ish..born raised at the beach, has nothing to do with age has to do with comfort and climate.

Even if women dont wear flip flops, a lot of them wear strappy high heal sandles, does this have the same affect to you? just curious, LOL.

ok i've read everything people have to say and I promise i will always have clean feet no smells cause im a freak about dirty feet and i will wear clean flip flops to the dining room not the ones i had on at the pool and make the noise when water has gotten into the rubber.and my toes will have had a recent pedicure, i do not wear heels but on formal night i will force myself to put on 1 inch heels any higher and i'll be taller then the husband. but once dinner is over the heels will be off and the the flip flops will be back on.so now im off to the store to find more flip flops made of material not rubber and if i offend you in the MDR i am very sorry. thanks for all the great info from everyone:) looking forward to first cruise and first vacation in over 3 years thanks to Army duties!

Go and have a great time! You will not offend anyone except the MDR police. It would be interesting to see if these folks think it's ok to hog chairs, or sneak alcohol on board, or smoke cigars on the balcony, or any other things that RCI has rules/suggestions for.

No, I am 50ish..born raised at the beach, has nothing to do with age has to do with comfort and climate.

Oh I totally agree with you, you should be comfortable. I just find it odd many on here make references to covering up your feet, like there is something wrong with showing your toes and no one wants to see them at dinner. I just never heard of that before... well, as long as your feet are nice and clean I see no problem showing off the toes. I thought maybe the difference in opinion was due to age differences... maybe not though.

-TxBubba

In the past, I'd agree with you. But on our last two cruises service was slipping notably. Where they use to clean the crumbs off the table in the past it wasn't happening on the last two cruises. This is something I actually look for in restaurants and something I notice on RCI cruises. It might be my little OCD but I prefer the wait staff clean off the table between courses if they're going to attempt to make the MDR feel a little more elegant. The last two cruises were on Voyager our of Barclona last October and on Oasis this past January.

Most waiters were groomed appropriately but, I wouldn't say they're wearing pressed tuxedo's. Dress shirts and vests yes but, they didn't even wear tux's on formal night for our last two cruises, one of which was a Med. cruise. I have to say I was dissapointed by this but, it's not a deal breaker for me. It will make me reconsider how dressed up I'm going to get if the cruise staff doesn't even take the time to put a tux on for fomal night. I'm seriously considering just bringing my suits with me next cruise. They're more relaxed, comfortable and give me more options.

98% for shoes and/or socks is a VERY high number IMHO. The majority yes but, on a caribbean cruise, no where near 98%. Great, now I'm going to be paying attention to feet just to make sure I'm not wrong. I've got to stop reading and responding to these types of threads.

To be honest, until now I've never thought about anyone's feet or what they're wearing when they walk by. I really don't care what other people wear. So much for your guess of 100% paying attention as you walk by. My bet is that it's a small fraction of the cruisers who actually pay attention to what anyone wears. Flip flops are so prevelant today that I doubt many people even hear the sound of the flip-flop as they walk on past.

I'm sure some people are offended by something at least one person does in the MDR every night. They need to get a life or choose a more expensive cruise line with standards that match their own high brow standards. For better or for worse, RCI is a very casual cruise line that markets to the masses, not those that sip champange and snack on cavier (did I even spell that correctly?)

I don't do a smell check of ANYONE'S feet on a cruise. Out of all the cruises, vacations and meals we've eaten out, I've never done a smell check of anyone's feet. I haven't ever noticed anyone's foot oder at any restaurant. You must have a VERY senstive nose if this has ever been a problem for you. Heck, I don't think I'm even limber enough to get my feet up to my nose to sniff them. Does ANYONE on this forum sniff their feet before they go out into public? How about sniffing your partners feet before going out in public? I guess either my wife and I are weird for not doing a sniff check of our feet or there are a few posters on this forum who are maybe a little odd about their feet.

The thing is, some people assume that everyone around them is going to a lot of trouble to eat in the MDR. I never use to pay attention but, because of a few people on these forums, I started looking around. What I find is that most people DON'T go to a lot of trouble for the MDR on a mid-level cruise ship and, RCI is in that mid-level price range. RCI is not one of the more exclusive lines where people dress for dinner. If they were, then there would be a dress code more than no bare feet or bathing suits anytime and no muscle shirts and caps for dinner. RCI is really a VERY casual cruise line.

Why would RCI bother to add "no flipflops" to their dress code?

Pax don't bother following the dress code they have now. Why add to something that is irrelevant?:confused:

And..a man came to the MDR wearing flip flops..as he passed the odor was horrible. Was it his feet? Who knows...but if the overgrown filthy nails and crusted filth on his heels were any indication, I'm betting yes, his feet added to his general stench.:eek:

People want to wear their flip flops in the dining room and the

next thing they will want is to wear their shorts. If you want to

wear your flip flops eat in your room or in the buffet.

That way you can do as you want and you won't be a stand out

in the dining room. You won't be ruining the ambiance of the dining

experience for everyone else because you "want to be comfortable".

Oh I totally agree with you, you should be comfortable. I just find it odd many on here make references to covering up your feet, like there is something wrong with showing your toes and no one wants to see them at dinner. I just never heard of that before... well, as long as your feet are nice and clean I see no problem showing off the toes. I thought maybe the difference in opinion was due to age differences... maybe not though.

Since I was the 3rd to post on this thread and I had only skimmed through the other responses I didn't realize there we actually people who were brothered by it:D

But now that I have read more I see what you mean.....

Enjoy wearing your flip flops, I do..........

People want to wear their flip flops in the dining room and the

next thing they will want is to wear their shorts. If you want to

wear your flip flops eat in your room or in the buffet.

That way you can do as you want and you won't be a stand out

in the dining room. You won't be ruining the ambiance of the dining

experience for everyone else because you "want to be comfortable".

Hello! I wear sandals and beautiful flip flops. Because you think a flip flop is for the beach you are soooo wrong! Yes their are the cheap plastic ones that people will wear in the day., but their are also some very elegant ones.

Also I have seen men in suits with cotton shoes surely its up to the individual.:mad:

From the Celebrity website:

"Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances."

From the Celebrity website:

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours.

Yes, I agree shorts & flipflops are considered pool wear... however, for women a nice pretty sundress or capris or khakis with thong sandals or nice flipflps (not rubber, but maybe leather, or with some jewels and beading, a small heel, etc) should be fine. I think these are NOT considered pool wear... and would be appropriate for the usual MDR dinner. Not for formal night, but for the normal dinner in the MDR (edit: i see this is from the Celebrity website - not sure if the same wording is on RCI but I'll have to see).

Flip flops are normally made of rubber even if they are "beautiful".

A nice pair of leather open toe sandles would look much better.

Some people want to wear their jeans to the dining room just because

they are expensive. Jeans are jeans no matter how much they cost.

Some people want to wear their jeans to the dining room just because

they are expensive. Jeans are jeans no matter how much they cost.

And then there are those that wear them because they look good in them.:rolleyes:

Flip flops are normally made of rubber even if they are "beautiful".

A nice pair of leather open toe sandles would look much better.

Many have posted that they have leather flip flops. What's the difference between a nice pair of leather flip flops and a nice pair of open toed sandals?

Yes, I agree shorts & flipflops are considered pool wear... however, for women a nice pretty sundress or capris or khakis with thong sandals or nice flipflps (not rubber, but maybe leather, or with some jewels and beading, a small heel, etc) should be fine. I think these are NOT considered pool wear... and would be appropriate for the usual MDR dinner. Not for formal night, but for the normal dinner in the MDR (edit: i see this is from the Celebrity website - not sure if the same wording is on RCI but I'll have to see).

The only intent of my posting was to show Celebrity Cruises spells it out so there is no confusion or personal interpretation of the suggested/recommended dress code guidelines. All the Cruise lines need to spell it out. I don’t care what others ware. That’s the Maitre D’ or Headwaiters job.

Archived