Any news from Greek Ports and the economic crisis?

Choinski

I heard on NPR yesterday the Greek economic crisis has forced austerity measures on the Greek labor force, which in turn has caused many Greek workers to strike in protest. Yesterday the port of Pireus (Athens) had work stoppages that disrupted Cruise ships attempting to port there. I also read another stoppage is planned for May 1 (May day - the international version of 'Labor Day' in the US).

In looking about the internet I'm getting mixed views as to the impact of the strikes. Some say tourism areas are not effected, some say they are, some say its no different than the usual spate of European strikes.

Does anyone have any info to share regarding the next few weeks? We're on the Eurodam Mediterranean crusie May 9 - 19th

This is not the kind of information you had in mind, but.....every time I visit Greece I run into some kind of hitch. They've ranged from minor to huge (the fall of the military junta while I was there on a high school trip).

There is no way of planning for these things. Whatever happens, happens. Everyone has to cope on the fly, and HAL is very good at it.

I heard on NPR yesterday the Greek economic crisis has forced austerity measures on the Greek labor force, which in turn has caused many Greek workers to strike in protest. Yesterday the port of Pireus (Athens) had work stoppages that disrupted Cruise ships attempting to port there. I also read another stoppage is planned for May 1 (May day - the international version of 'Labor Day' in the US).

In looking about the internet I'm getting mixed views as to the impact of the strikes. Some say tourism areas are not effected, some say they are, some say its no different than the usual spate of European strikes.

Does anyone have any info to share regarding the next few weeks? We're on the Eurodam Mediterranean crusie May 9 - 19th

I am about to make reservations for a large group to the Mediterranenan, and I listened intently to NPR as well. I have not done any further research, however, today I am considering BBC News and checking to see if there is a Port Authority site where they can gleem some light on to this subject. I am considering contacting the company directly with whom I will book.

Try RT on television. You can get it in the larger urban areas and it seems to have better news out of Greece. Or try their website but that might not be as useful.

Smooth sailing...

Hate to worry you but Spain and Portugal are having problems with their economy too. At this rate all Euro zones will require hand-outs :eek:

With no one to give it to them.

Better hope UFO's are proof of alien life because they are going to have to go off planet to find credit.:eek:

Hate to worry you but Spain and Portugal are having problems with their economy too. At this rate all Euro zones will require hand-outs :eek:

Yeah, but my cruise ends before the ship continues to the western Mediterranean, so that doesn't worry me. Cheap Euros for all !!!!

Did someone say "Cheap Euros"???? Can we be so lucky? I look at my travel logs from past European cruises (some were pre Euro) and can't believe how much the value of the dollar has dropped. Maybe it is time the US traveler caught a break!

Ive found an online English version of a Greek newspaper - seems to have up to date info regarding strikes

http://www.ekathimerini.com/

I was able to locate a site which houses European Port Authority. There was a website for the greek ports, only two tho, not sure if this will help you, but google european port authority........have a nice trip and as they say in australia, NO WORRIES..........:D

Archived