I am turning green...

gemgal79

I am turning green with envy! Just so you know what I mean, let me first start with the fact that I will be a first time cruiser in less than two weeks! I booked my cruise a couple days ago so I feel like I got a decent cabin rate, but I can't stop from feeling that I could have done better.

I have been reading many posts on this board (which I wish I did before booking) and I see many of you have received free upgrades, decent priced upsells and on board credits. Grrr... lol.

There are certain times I feel people deserve some nice perks, such as being a loyal NCL customer or the cruising at sea program, but I can't stop wondering, are there any other methods you used to get these good perks? And most importantly... is it too late for me!?! LOL!

P.S. I am not that jealous, I know I got a decent cabin price and I get to experience a first for me in a few days! So excited. :D

Dont feel bad. The up sells and upgrades are very uncommon . I have been sailing with NCL for quite a while and have yet to get a call. Have fun on your cruise and if you want to worry about something worry about how you are going to pay for all the future cruises you will be compelled to book ;)

There are lots of factors that determine upgrades and upsells, which are two different things. If you book a cabin as a 'gty' then you are guaranteed at least that level, and could be placed in a higher category at no extra cost. The catch is, you have to live with where they put you. An upsell is offered at a reduced price and those calls are hit or miss. My advice is to go on your first cruise and have a great time. Look around at some of the cabins in your area, and try to look on other decks, too, to see if you might prefer a different location next time. You'll learn a lot on your first cruise and reading here is good, too. I hope you have a great time. :)

You are always going to find someone that you feel got a better deal than you. Don't let it get to you. Are you happy with the deal you got, if so forget it and have a great time.

I would also think that since you waited, you got a pretty good deal so that NCL could fill more cabins. I am sure that there are others out there that are turning green over your rate.

Thanks =) I was worried I missed the super secret society password to get a great deal. Maybe it’s still out there and I need to get a James Bond type to swim through shark infested waters to get it. Then again, I hear that Aquaventure at Atlantis has something in store like that for me. Coincidence? I think not.

I normally do not have the flexibility to book late, but I realized that if I didn’t take a vacation in one of the first two weeks of May, my next opportunity to use my vacation days would not come around until December and during the winter I run to the mountains

Start drinking Tropicana OJ! Do a search of this board and there are many threads about this promotion. Basically the cap on marked packages is marked with a code. You go to the "Juicy Rewards" website and enter the codes, when you accumulate 9 points (3 cartons= 9 points) you can earn an OBC. Read the fine print b/c numerous people have been denied due to other promotions they have booked under. We are in an AF mini-suite and were able to get $100 OBC. Since we drink Tropicana anyways it really just cost us the stamp!

I'm now on the hunt for a credit card offer-anyone know if Visa, MC or AE have any OBC deals going now if you make payment with their card? Or a card where you can accumulate points to redeem for an OBC certiificate?

quit WORRYING or STRESSING over the price ...no different with airfare or anything like that...you BOOKED your cruise...you LIKED the price then...be HAPPY with it...GO CRUISE and ENJOY:)...sometimes YOU get THOSE GREAT deals and SOMETIMES YOU DONT......all evens out in the end:Dits FREE~STYLE....RELAX!!!

You already capitalized on perhaps the best way to get a good price, and that is to book late when they are lowering prices to fill the ship. Many would envy those with the flexibility to book late.

That was our strategy ... we booked about 6 days ago for the May 9th Dawn to Bermuda (now less then two weeks away), as they had a great deal on mini-suites. If the Upgrade Fairy decides to ever call us we'll be happy, but we won't be disapointed if it never happens ...

Michael & Silke

Thanks =) I was worried I missed the super secret society password to get a great deal. Maybe it’s still out there and I need to get a James Bond type to swim through shark infested waters to get it.

the password is --- snazzlefraz

On our first NCL cruise, this rotten couple told my husband that they paid half of what we paid for the same cabin because they booked it on last-minute.com It turned out to be total crap because I looked into it when I got home. My point is, it really bothered my husband and he talked about it constantly. He even told people who asked about our cruise later once we were home about this couple. I told him to stop worrying about it, we had a great vacation and we aren't able to book last minute anyway!! So, stop worrying about it, just enjoy your cruise, and enjoy life. I say that as a person with all types of anxieties, but worrying about what price you "could have" gotten won't do you any good. Just have fun! INHO =)

Mary

On our first NCL cruise, this rotten couple told my husband that they paid half of what we paid for the same cabin because they booked it on last-minute.com It turned out to be total crap because I looked into it when I got home. My point is, it really bothered my husband and he talked about it constantly. He even told people who asked about our cruise later once we were home about this couple. I told him to stop worrying about it, we had a great vacation and we aren't able to book last minute anyway!! So, stop worrying about it, just enjoy your cruise, and enjoy life. I say that as a person with all types of anxieties, but worrying about what price you "could have" gotten won't do you any good. Just have fun! INHO =)

Mary

Yes, there will be those "enhancers". But, you really do NOT have any way to check all the prices and there certainly are discounts that aren't available to the general public. I am one who has gotten some, fantastic give away deals, but I can get interline rates available to travel industy employees. Late bookings can pop up big discounts, I snagged a $299 Bermuda last Oct for my sister, 2 weeks ahead. Was a one way New England same week, I almost considered that dropped to $199.

So, there can be people who pay lower, BUT, you agreed to the price as fair when you booked. That's all I care about, and I find no point in comparing rates if, it's going to be upsetting.

Those cheap, last-minute deals have LOADS of catches. First of all, you may pay WAY more on your airfare because you're not within the magic 21 day advance purchase.

If you pay what you can afford, you did just fine. Cruising is fun, and I've done it on the most oppulent ships in the world, and on very fine regular cruise ships. At the end of the day, you're having a GREAT time, and really can y ou put a price on that?

Those cheap, last-minute deals have LOADS of catches. First of all, you may pay WAY more on your airfare because you're not within the magic 21 day advance purchase.

Most of the last minute cruisers I've met live really close to a port city. That's why I'm moving to 'justoutsidemiami' when I retire. ;):)

Start drinking Tropicana OJ! Do a search of this board and there are many threads about this promotion. Basically the cap on marked packages is marked with a code. You go to the "Juicy Rewards" website and enter the codes, when you accumulate 9 points (3 cartons= 9 points) you can earn an OBC. Read the fine print b/c numerous people have been denied due to other promotions they have booked under. We are in an AF mini-suite and were able to get $100 OBC. Since we drink Tropicana anyways it really just cost us the stamp!

I'm now on the hunt for a credit card offer-anyone know if Visa, MC or AE have any OBC deals going now if you make payment with their card? Or a card where you can accumulate points to redeem for an OBC certiificate?

MariaNC... We still use the benefits of the NCL Mastercard. Up until Jan of last year, it was NCL Cruise Rewards Points or something like that.. Sad that I can not remember the name of it.. but it was fantastic. It was the BEST points reward system we had ever found. Then , as all good things do, it came to an end and they changed it to NCL World Points which is Bank of America's reward point system. I am one of the few that still thinks it's a good program, although agree it isnt as great as was the old NCL system. You can use the points you get there for a lot of stuff, not just for cruise credits and OBC.

Check it out and see if it is something you are interested:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=WorldPoints

MariaNC... We still use the benefits of the NCL Mastercard. Up until Jan of last year, it was NCL Cruise Rewards Points or something like that.. Sad that I can not remember the name of it.. but it was fantastic. It was the BEST points reward system we had ever found. Then , as all good things do, it came to an end and they changed it to NCL World Points which is Bank of America's reward point system. I am one of the few that still thinks it's a good program, although agree it isnt as great as was the old NCL system. You can use the points you get there for a lot of stuff, not just for cruise credits and OBC.

Check it out and see if it is something you are interested:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=WorldPoints

It will make you crazy if you let it. But, I suppose you could always call either your travel agent if you have one or NCL directly and see if they would offer you an upsell at a decent price......anyway, have a great cruise. Sure wish I was packed and ready to go!

Most of the last minute cruisers I've met live really close to a port city. That's why I'm moving to 'justoutsidemiami' when I retire. ;):)

Though we don't know each other I really hope that I will be moving in very close to you as I not only want to get in on these deals but I really think I would love some of the towns between Miami and the Keys. :D

......... but I can't stop from feeling that I could have done better..

You could spend your time trying to second guess... but you will just make yourself crazy. Prices change up and down all the time. You will always be able to find someone who got on cheaper. Plus... there are lots of folks that probably paid more than you.

A lot of it has to do when they booked. Plus as mentioned above late booking savings may mean more expense on the other side for flights / hotels / etc.

I am really not that worried about the price as much as I just wanted to see if there was any way I could snatch some last minute OBC’s before my cruise, which I think everyone can agree, would be nice.

MariaNC – Thank you for OJ tip! I will be looking for those bottles tonight since I need some extra vitamin C before my cruise…

Mbisson – Thank you for the password ;-)

Heelfan94 – Add me to the list of those living “justoutsidemiami” when they retire!

Archived