Balcony on Riveria Deck

niftyfifty14

After looking at some member's fabulous photos of Azura I was rather dismayed to see that it looks like the balconies on Riveria Deck are completely covered with a large overhang from the deck above.:eek: I was not aware of this when we booked this stateroom option. Does anyone know if this is correct and how bad the problem is? I have read on another site from someone who has cruised on Ventura that they have the same design and it does shield the sun completely. Please tell me hopefully that this is not so! Not that I am expecting huge amounts of sunshine on the Baltics cruise in May but it would be nice to be able to enjoy what there is on our balcony(as we have splashed out for one) as well as on deck sometimes.:(

you may have been better to have booked a c or d balcony, as these do not have the overhang, but... they are overlooked from above !

hope somebody else can give you a more positive response, perhaps you could get more info from your TA.

it is always difficult to get it exactly right, when going on a different ship.

but i am sure you will have a lovely time anyway.

It actually depends whereabouts on the Riviera deck your cabin is. Have a look at a Ventura deckplan, and specifically at the Lido deck. You'll see that in the forward third or so of that deck there are cabins. If your cabin on Riviera deck is beneath this section of Lido deck, then I don't think there's any overhang, other then the balcony of the Lido deck cabin above you. But it won't come out any further than the end of your own balcony. However, if your cabin isn't underneath a Lido deck cabin - i.e. it's underneath the pool areas or the Waterside and Beach House buffets - then I'm afraid there will be quite an overhang.

Have a look at ShipParade for some pictures of Ventura. When you get into the site click on 'Ship Alphabet', then on 'V' in the alphabet strip at the top of the Ship Alphabet page, then select Ventura. If you then select 'More Photos' (left-hand side) you'll see a scrollable list of photos of Ventura. Several of these show the situation quite clearly.

Thank you for your information. Looking at the ShipParade site pictures it does show quite clearly that there is an obvious overhang which we were not aware of at the time of booking.We have only sailed with Celebrity before and didnt realise there would be a problem with being either so overlooked or have such a large overhang shielding the balcony with P&O's Azura on this deck. Unfortunately I wish our TA had enlightened us and in future I obviously will have to do a lot of homework before booking again. Not looking forward to our cruise with quite the same amount of enthusiasm now. :(:(:(

It actually depends whereabouts on the Riviera deck your cabin is. Have a look at a Ventura deckplan, and specifically at the Lido deck. You'll see that in the forward third or so of that deck there are cabins. If your cabin on Riviera deck is beneath this section of Lido deck, then I don't think there's any overhang, other then the balcony of the Lido deck cabin above you. But it won't come out any further than the end of your own balcony. However, if your cabin isn't underneath a Lido deck cabin - i.e. it's underneath the pool areas or the Waterside and Beach House buffets - then I'm afraid there will be quite an overhang.

Have a look at ShipParade for some pictures of Ventura. When you get into the site click on 'Ship Alphabet', then on 'V' in the alphabet strip at the top of the Ship Alphabet page, then select Ventura. If you then select 'More Photos' (left-hand side) you'll see a scrollable list of photos of Ventura. Several of these show the situation quite clearly.

Let's look on the bright side. In the Balkans in May you'll get long evenings with the sun coming in from a low angle, so it won't be obstructed by the overhang.

To be honest I think the overhang situation exists on all modern ships. Take a look at Celebrity Solstice on ShipParade - same sort of issue.

OP - don't worry so much! I sailed on the Ruby Princess last year (which is a similar design) on Aloha deck. We had the overhang from Riviera above us, but still had sun for part of the day ;) Admittedly, we were in the Med rather than the Baltics, but I am sure you will be fine :)

My main worry is keeping this from my other half until we have boarded or else we might not actually make it to find out if it will be fine!:rolleyes: Lesson learnt. Thanks for help. :)

OP - don't worry so much! I sailed on the Ruby Princess last year (which is a similar design) on Aloha deck. We had the overhang from Riviera above us, but still had sun for part of the day ;) Admittedly, we were in the Med rather than the Baltics, but I am sure you will be fine :)

Just shows what a novice sailer I am!:o I guess we all have to learn by our mistakes, some more expensive than others! Just glad its not the Caribean we're cruising through. Thanks.:)

Let's look on the bright side. In the Balkans in May you'll get long evenings with the sun coming in from a low angle, so it won't be obstructed by the overhang.

To be honest I think the overhang situation exists on all modern ships. Take a look at Celebrity Solstice on ShipParade - same sort of issue.

Hi

We were on Ventura, balcony cabin Riviera deck, below, pool/waterside, it really was no problem with the overhang, plus side nobodys balcony above you and short walk down corridor to pool and self service restaurants, we would have it again.

Have a great cruise

Thanks for the positive view on this situation.....which I will find myself in in August in the Med. Is the sun on the balcony for even some of the time ?....I would be happy about that. As you say there are other advantages to being in this position plus the fact that a bit of shade to sit in and read my book will always be welcome :)

Many thanks Yorkielovescruising, for shining some light on what could have been a very dark situation!! :D

Hi

We were on Ventura, balcony cabin Riviera deck, below, pool/waterside, it really was no problem with the overhang, plus side nobodys balcony above you and short walk down corridor to pool and self service restaurants, we would have it again.

Have a great cruise

Archived