Canadian blue cross extended health coverage PLEASE READ

My DH is a member of IBEW with blue cross extended health coverage. We are going on an extended trip to the states Oct 1 ending with cruise on ruby princess oct 31. After cruise, off to New Orleans and flying back to Vancouver Nov 15th - 6 week trip. I checked out medical travel insurance/trip cancellation/trip interruption with our local credit union. We have been buying travel insurance with them for years. Quote was $790.00.

After reading this forum, I saw blue cross mentioned a few times, so this am called them. I found out that our extended health plan had FREE medical travel insurance included in the extended health benefits !!!!! The only thing I have to pay extra for is the cancellation/trip interruption part. Total cost $370.00 !!!!

Just a heads up to Canucks traveling south with Blue Cross extended coverage - call 1-800-873-2583 to see if you have free coverage included in your extended health plan.

We have purchased travel insurance so MANY times and paid for it, without knowing we were already covered !!!! My mistake, but very costly over the long run as I didn't even think to check out Blue Cross extra coverage.

You need to make sure you get cancellation/interruption coverage within 72 hrs to have coverage.

Be careful to examine your policy carefully. My policy through work also covers international medical care. (I work for a gigantic worldwide company; it would be foolish for the health plan not to do so.)

However, it only covers "Usual and Customary" charges for medical care. If the place you end up being treated is more than what the insurance plan deems "usual and customary", you could be in trouble.

This does mean, however, that you clearly do not need a trip insurance plan that provides primary coverage.

SirWired

Porthardygirl....I did exactly the same for my parents. Living in Burnaby, they were able to drive over to Pacific Blue Cross and get the details.

Their TA told them not to buy the agency insurance or the cruise line insurance because it was far too expensive-in part due to the multiple levels of commissions that had to be paid..TA, agency, wholesaler,...etc

Thank you for your reply. I will ask more questions tomorrow regarding "usual & customary charges" but looking back on old travel insurance I found same wording in other company policies. Is this not a standard clause ?

It is a standard clause for travel policies, but U&C is probably much more liberal with trip insurance because U&C for travel policies is based on international medical costs; BCBS is more likely to base U&C on the costs at home.

ion, I am glad you checked out blue cross. Never hurt's to compare prices.

With my hubby's extended medical coverage under blue cross I ended up with free medical travel coverage for 7 weeks but I did have to pay $242.00 extra for trip cancellation/interruption.

Again, you must get the cancellation/interruption within 72 hours of booking first part of trip - flights or cruise. All I needed to give for info was cost of cruise, dates and cost of return flights and estimate of in between non refundable costs.

CAR rental insurance : We pay all monies on our Visa card. This card covers basic insurance on car rental BUT does not cover 3rd party liability. I purchase Road Star when renewing my vehicle insurance, aprox $50.00 per yr which also includes 3rd party liability and other extras.

As a recall, Pacific Blue Cross also had various plans that covered members for multiple out of country trips no longer that 3 weeks duration -regardless of how many, during an entire year. They had another at the time which did not stiputate any duration. We compared prices at all the usual places including the autoclub. At the time Pacific Blue Cross was by far the best. Our insurance broker at the time also recommneded this carrier and recommended that we deal directly with them. We also use Manulife(on line) for some trips. We had one claim with Manulife. The entire claim was paid promptly and in full with no back and forth negotiation. The consistent advice that I got from a number of parties was do not purchase insurance from the travel agent, from the tour operator or cruise line, or from a secondary insurer...go directly to the company that actually carries the risk. We would not buy insurance from a US company either. We have been told, by a broker with no interest in selling us a policy, that their policies tend to be a mirror of US policies and are not as comprehensive. I suspect claim remediation would also be more difficult with a US insurer.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are trying to locate the best company for medical travel insurance. We are 73 and 72 years young.

I have high blood pressue under control and he has a pace maker inserted over 1 1/2 ago. He is good to go for the next 4 years with his pacemaker.

I have some quotes but for me and my husband they would be over 900.00 for multiple trips not exceeding 30 days.

Archived