General shop prices on ship.

Wellpark

In the promotional material for preparing for the trip. P and O advise you to leave toiletaries and items of clothing at home to save on packing!

I just wondered if the prices on board are as comparable for toiletaries as prices at home. I would not mind paying a little extra but big mark ups are a little offensive.

In the promotional material for preparing for the trip. P and O advise you to leave toiletaries and items of clothing at home to save on packing!

I just wondered if the prices on board are as comparable for toiletaries as prices at home. I would not mind paying a little extra but big mark ups are a little offensive.

Don't you have complimentary toiletries as per the other cruise lines :confused: Perhaps not toothpaste or mouthwash, but there should be shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and body lotion? I haven't sailed P&O before, but I know other lines do this, so can't think they would be any different! Having said that, I'm sure an experienced P&O cruiser will pipe up soon :)

trouble is the shop on board only has a very limited supply.

This year, we ran out of hairspray, and they did not sell that on board, not even in the hairdressing salon, and we ended up trailing round totola to buy some, even then it wasn,t that easy, so i would say don,t rely too much on the ships shop, although i didn,t think the ships prices were to expensive for other bits and pieces.

i know weight is a problem when flying, and this year, we had to leave our shampoo, conditioner etc at home, then buy them at the airport, after we had gone through security, and have them in hand luggage as we could not take the extra weight in our cases, but if not flying then i would definately pack everything !!!!

there is complimentary shampoo, shower gel, soap, and few other smaller bits, but NO conditioner !!

With the weight restrictions now for fly cruising more people seem to leave these ites out of their packing and buy them at the airport (including personal stuff, sun tan lotions etc.). Ican see a lot of sense in it because once you are through security the 100ml limitation does not apply and you can leave the excess on board.

As someone else has said, the ship is dockd every couple of days so you can buy what you want on the islands as well.

They may say that, only to get you to buy some of their stuff onboard the boat. Did find that most toiletry items were quite heavily marked up.

That and you have to consider if they'll stock what you're used to using. I know some people prefer to use a certain deodourant, shampoo, shower gel, soap, etc, as it suits them, or that they have some skin sensitivity.

Also, when wife go on Azura in October, will be taking a couple of washing tablets, just to help keep some of the clothing levels down for a transatlantic crossing.

If you're doing a fly-cruise, then yeah, consider either buying your toiletries when you arrive at your cruise port city, or, if you're leaving from say Southampton/Tilbury, then you can simply pack as normal.

Scrozuk

Are you flying or sailing from Southampton?

If sailing from Southampton take all your favourites, there is no limit to cases or weight restriction, the new line onboard now replacing Temple Spa is 'The White Company' very nice, but when wanting to look your best especially in the evening best to take your favourite hair products, especially conditioner.

Superdrug actually sell 'travel' size items like Nivea lotion, shampoo, deodorant, mouthwash, hairspray, etc. etc.

on Azura naming we just had 'White company' 100 ml bottles of shampoo, conditioner and hand/body lotion...bigger bottles than Temple Spa but not such a good selection....however the 100 ml bottles would be useful to fill for future cruises !!!:D

Jenny Wren

I loved the White Company body lotion, brought it home from my overnighter on Azura, its got a strong perfume smell and is lovely.

The 100ml bottles are also on sale in Boots,I just bought a tresemme conditioner and shampoo ready for my land based holiday by air to Madeira soon.

But, if the poster is sailing from Southampton, I would say take everything you want to use, its really not a problem

Hi All,

We are travelling from Southampton, however we fly down from Glasgow, thus baggage may still be an issue. We have booked on extra luggage to cover the dresses and formal stuff.

We tend to travel light, however domestic flights don't allow for much.

It is also great that there is a laundry on board ship and that it is complimentary if you provide your own soap etc.

Thanks for all the advice

Wellpark

My wife has asked me to contribute to this thread. Over recent years she has acquired a number of 'travel-sized' empty, lightweight plastic bottles & pots. They're sold as such in places like Boots, Sainsbury's and even the outdoor & travel shop Rohan, and their purpose is that you can fill them with your own specific toiletries. The bottles on sale are either 100ml, or just under, so they meet the flight requirements.

She's done the same thing with empty bottles from Body Shop. Their bottles are about 60ml, and we find that one of those filled up with shampoo, etc, is sufficient for a cruise. She's also got some small 15ml plastic pots to hold moisture cream. They're all small, they're all light, and they're very useful for keeping flight baggage weight down.

We've become so used to using them that we even do so for ex-Southampton cruises.

Toileteries provided by P&O are:- Shampoo, Conditioner shower gel and body lotion.

You can never buy hairspray or gel in the shop and the salon will not sell you it. They want you to use the salon!

Last year when we flew down to Southampton, we paid over £100 in excess baggage going out. Coming back we asked the steward to find us a large box, bought tape n string in Barcelona and got the cab driver to stop at the post office on the way back! I loaded it with shoes and non essential heavy items including some brassware we had purchased in Malta. It cost me £17 and was delivered the day after! (Cab charged £2.00 more)

If planning to use the launderette, try to do it on port days when it is less buzy. It doesn't take long particularly if you just wash and then dry in the bathroom and definitely not on a formal day they get mobbed! Great place to meet people though lol

Archived