Oslo Pass and Ho ho Bus

We will be traveling on Disney cruise with our 4 children under 8 (oh my)....We are thinking of doing ho ho bus because they have a family ticket which would cover us and the kids love the double decker buses....plus the ear commentary is good if my child is loud....they won't disturb anyone....we did this in barcelona as well. We also planned on getting Oslo Pass to cover our admission to some of the things we want to see.....it seemed more cost effective when I priced it out.....do you think it is redundant or makes sense....I am just not up to dealing with public transport with the kids.....love to know your thoughts and suggestions....I have tried to review some threads on here but I don't think these people are traveling with young children.....

Also any good tour books with info in regards to the must sees of these spots and how much time to spend at each place>

We will be traveling on Disney cruise with our 4 children under 8 (oh my)....We are thinking of doing ho ho bus because they have a family ticket which would cover us and the kids love the double decker buses....plus the ear commentary is good if my child is loud....they won't disturb anyone....we did this in barcelona as well. We also planned on getting Oslo Pass to cover our admission to some of the things we want to see.....it seemed more cost effective when I priced it out.....do you think it is redundant or makes sense....I am just not up to dealing with public transport with the kids.....love to know your thoughts and suggestions....I have tried to review some threads on here but I don't think these people are traveling with young children.....

Also any good tour books with info in regards to the must sees of these spots and how much time to spend at each place>

Lonely Planet guide books will have some helpful information.

I guess the HoHo bus is a good choice with 4 small children. Why not hire a van with driver? Some times when you add up the cost of all the tickets for a group, a private car and driver is about the same price....then you set the schedule and chose the sites you want to see.

We used the HoHo buses at times when our children were young. I'm not a fan of them. If you enjoyed the one in Barcelona, then I'm sure you'll be ok with any of them. In my opinion, I think the one in Barcelona is one of the worst.

The Oslo Pass is a very good deal, and the public transportation system in Oslo is very easy to use. Folks too are very helpful when asked about where to get on/off.

We stayed in a downtown hotel in Oslo, and even with my complication of using a wheelchair, we found most of the main attractions were within walking distance...or an easy walk to either a bus stop or the ferry to get across to the island where 4 major museums (3 museums and the outdoor cultural center) were located.

We have a cruise coming up this August.

I have Copenhagen, Amsterdam and Dublin pretty much figured out.

I am really interested in seeing as much history in Oslo as possible.

I am getting the Copenhagen Card and doing the HoHo in Dublin.

For two adults that are in very good health, what would those of you who know Oslo suggest concerning transportation from the Azamara Journey and getting around in town?

This is all I have down to do and see at this point:

Vigeland Park

Kon-Tiki Museum

Viking Ship Museum (Vikingskiphuset)

Pub Crawl

Thanks for your help.

We have a cruise coming up this August.

I am really interested in seeing as much history in Oslo as possible.

For two adults that are in very good health, what would those of you who know Oslo suggest concerning transportation from the Azamara Journey and getting around in town?

This is all I have down to do and see at this point:

Vigeland Park

Kon-Tiki Museum

Viking Ship Museum (Vikingskiphuset)

Pub Crawl

Azamara Journey is docking at Akershuskaia in August, so you'll be close to downtown, which is convenient. It's just a few minutes' walk from the cruise pier to the city center, where you can catch the public transportation.

If the only museums you're only visiting are the Viking Ships and the Kon-Tiki, I would suggest buying a 24-hour transit pass (70 NOK) and just paying the admission at the museums (60 NOK at each). The OsloPass costs 230 NOK. If you think you might want to duck into a few other places, you might consider it, though. And if you're over 67, the huge discount on the OsloPass (it's only 100 NOK) definitely makes it worth it.

It looks like the Journey gets into port at 7am and leaves at 1pm, which doesn't give you much time. Especially since it seems you'll be there on a Saturday, when the trams don't run as often in the morning! Since Vigelands Park is always open, start by taking the tram #12 toward Majorstuen from a stop near the ship (get off at Vigelandsparken). If the wait for the tram is too long, you can also walk to Nationaltheatret and take a west-bound subway one stop to Majorstuen and walk to the park from there.

After Vigelands Park, catch the bus 20 towards Skøyen a few stops to Olav Kyrres plass. At Olav Kyrres plass, switch to the Bus 30 towards Bygdøy, and get off at the Vikingskiphuset. The Viking Ships open at 9am in the summer.

From the Viking ships, you can catch the bus 30 (still headed towards Bygdøy) to the Kon-Tiki Museum (the stop is "Bygdøynes"). After the Kon-Tiki, catch the ferry back to the Rådhus from the pier outside the museum.

If you have time for the pub crawl, be aware that beer is shockingly expensive in Norway! :eek: An average pint costs around 50 NOK. Since you'll be around downtown, I would recommend Lorry at the northwest corner of the Slottsparken (palace park). They have the largest beer selection in town (mostly imports, but also a good selection of Norwegian beers) and decent food. My other recommendation would be the Oslo Microbrewery, which is a few blocks up the street and has some very good beers (but no food).

Kaisatsu and other Oslo buffs:

For $69, Azamara is offering the following excursion below.

Personally, we have not used the cruise line excursions in the past, but I will admit, I am a bit concerned about getting around in some of these ports. Especially with very little time.

Plus, it sounds like we would have to wait to pick up our pass once in port (more wasted time).

This excursion looks like it hits everything we were interested in, but might have a price hike of about $20-$30 for the convenience.

Any thoughts:

It looks as though this excursion hits three museums actually, in a three hour window, which seems kind of tight.

Do we miss Vigeland Park with this excursion?

Norwegian Explorers Tour - OS37

spacer.gif

For more than a thousand years the Vikings roamed the high seas, and their mastery of shipbuilding and knowledge of navigation took them great distances beyond their country's coastline. This tour gives you the opportunity to trace the history of these hardy adventurers and learn of Norway's maritime heritage. You will drive through this impressive capital city, past City Hall, the National Theater, and the Royal Palace as you make your way from the ship to Bygdoy Peninsula. Along the fjord, you will also see the pleasure boat harbors and glimpse the little Castle Oscar Hall, built around 1950 by King Oscar I.

At the Viking Ship Museum, you will see three authentic Viking long ships, as well as items recovered from the burial mounds of chieftains around the Oslo fjord. These well-preserved artifacts, dating from 800 AD, were unearthed during 19th century excavations.

The Kon-Tiki Museum is the home of the balsa raft used by the modern-day adventurer Thor Heyerdahl to cross the Pacific from Peru to Polynesia in 1947. You will also see the papyrus boat, RA II, which he sailed across the Atlantic in 1970.

Your next visit will be at the Fram Museum, showing the history of the polar explorers. Here you will find the world's most famous polarship, Fram, from 1892, the museums main attraction. The ship is displayed in its original condition with interior and objects perfectly preserved. The exhibitions in the museum have a representative selection of animals from the Polar region, like polar bears, penguins and moscus ox.

Note: Guests must be able to walk approximately 500 yards over even surfaces with 10 to 15 steps. In the Fram Museum there are 30 - 40 steps, but it is possible to see the ship from he first level without climbing the steps. It is not allowed to use any kind of camera in the Viking Ship Museum. Depending upon traffic conditions, tour order may vary but all mentioned sights will be seen.

Thanks.

Kaisatsu and other Oslo buffs:

For $69, Azamara is offering the following excursion below.

Personally, we have not used the cruise line excursions in the past, but I will admit, I am a bit concerned about getting around in some of these ports. Especially with very little time.

Plus, it sounds like we would have to wait to pick up our pass once in port (more wasted time).

This excursion looks like it hits everything we were interested in, but might have a price hike of about $20-$30 for the convenience.

Any thoughts:

It looks as though this excursion hits three museums actually, in a three hour window, which seems kind of tight.

Do we miss Vigeland Park with this excursion?

Norwegian Explorers Tour - OS37

spacer.gif

For more than a thousand years the Vikings roamed the high seas, and their mastery of shipbuilding and knowledge of navigation took them great distances beyond their country's coastline. This tour gives you the opportunity to trace the history of these hardy adventurers and learn of Norway's maritime heritage. You will drive through this impressive capital city, past City Hall, the National Theater, and the Royal Palace as you make your way from the ship to Bygdoy Peninsula. Along the fjord, you will also see the pleasure boat harbors and glimpse the little Castle Oscar Hall, built around 1950 by King Oscar I.

At the Viking Ship Museum, you will see three authentic Viking long ships, as well as items recovered from the burial mounds of chieftains around the Oslo fjord. These well-preserved artifacts, dating from 800 AD, were unearthed during 19th century excavations.

The Kon-Tiki Museum is the home of the balsa raft used by the modern-day adventurer Thor Heyerdahl to cross the Pacific from Peru to Polynesia in 1947. You will also see the papyrus boat, RA II, which he sailed across the Atlantic in 1970.

Your next visit will be at the Fram Museum, showing the history of the polar explorers. Here you will find the world's most famous polarship, Fram, from 1892, the museums main attraction. The ship is displayed in its original condition with interior and objects perfectly preserved. The exhibitions in the museum have a representative selection of animals from the Polar region, like polar bears, penguins and moscus ox.

Note: Guests must be able to walk approximately 500 yards over even surfaces with 10 to 15 steps. In the Fram Museum there are 30 - 40 steps, but it is possible to see the ship from he first level without climbing the steps. It is not allowed to use any kind of camera in the Viking Ship Museum. Depending upon traffic conditions, tour order may vary but all mentioned sights will be seen.

Thanks.

This can be done easily on your own and will cost less. There's a ferry to the museum area from near the visitors center.....walk to TO from the pier. Decide if you want to buy the Oslo card that includes transportation and admissions....available at tourist office. I am always happier on my own, moving at my own pace than with a bus tour. You ultimately have to decide. Oslo is very easy on your own. Public buses/trams/metro are safe, easy to use, and a major stop is right at the end of the pier. You can walk to many things directly from the pier.

Zoolander,

That tour does miss Vigeland Park, which is a wonderful place to visit. However, if you have very limited time, it is something that I would leave out.

I spent three days in Oslo, and saw all of the museums, the Nobel Peace Museum, included, plus Vigeland and thoroughly enjoyed myself. When you have less than a day, you have to choose carefully.

Zoolander,

That tour does miss Vigeland Park, which is a wonderful place to visit. However, if you have very limited time, it is something that I would leave out.

I spent three days in Oslo, and saw all of the museums, the Nobel Peace Museum, included, plus Vigeland and thoroughly enjoyed myself. When you have less than a day, you have to choose carefully.

Vigeland Sculpture Park is a must see! DO NOT skip it. There is a bus right from the end of the pier that will drop you off at the entrance. The park is free, but I would definitely buy a small guide book at the entrance if you have never been there before.....or read fully about the park, Vigeland and his work before you set off on your travels.

I go to Vigeland Sculpture Park every time I visit Oslo. Seeing the ships once is enough.

Thanks all.

Is it possible to get an Oslo card in the mail, or do we have to pick it up when we arrive in port?

I am imagining a mad dash for the "wait in line" for the Oslo card.

Remember, we will only be in port from 7-1, and I am sure they will want us back on the ship by 12:30 at least.

Once again... good stuff, and I appreciate it.

Thanks all.

Is it possible to get an Oslo card in the mail, or do we have to pick it up when we arrive in port?

Remember, we will only be in port from 7-1, and I am sure they will want us back on the ship by 12:30 at least.

We had no problem getting the Oslo pass..never a line, never a wait. But yes, you can get the Oslo pass by mail, from the Oslo tourist information site (I don't have the web address handy, but it's easy to find through a search engine.)

However -- most of the museums DON'T OPEN until 9 or 10 o'clock! It might be that the excursion you describe has made special arrangements to get there early and get you in early so you can see a bit of each one. If you wait until the regular opening time, you really WILL have a mad dash to see them!

Vigeland Park is of course always "open", and no charge. We didn't get there on our trip to Oslo, but most guidebooks list it as a "must see". But given your short time frame, I think you'd need to either see the museums, or the park..not both.

As far as I know, even if you book the OsloPass on the VisitOslo.com website, you still have to pick it up in person. I don't know of anyone who's had it mailed to them, but you could email the tourist office and ask if it's possible. They've been good at replying to my mails in the past: info@visitoslo.com

Also, FYI, I do not believe this is true:

"It is not allowed to use any kind of camera in the Viking Ship Museum."

I've never seen anything banning photography, and there are always loads of people taking pictures.

start by taking the tram #12 toward Majorstuen from a stop near the ship (get off at Vigelandsparken). If the wait for the tram is too long, you can also walk to Nationaltheatret and take a west-bound subway one stop to Majorstuen and walk to the park from there.

Would it be the same tram number to get from Vigeland back to the dock area?

Thanks

Lyn

Thanks all.

Too bad you won't have more time in Oslo. It is a wonderful city and easy to get around and explore. People are very friendly and helpful.

I would recommend buying single bus/tram tickets with such a short time in port. You can purchase the tickets from a convenience store that is about a block up from the tram tracks that you will see when you walk off the pier. Then walk back to the track area and locate the bus stop. The tickets are valid for one hour after stamping on the bus.

If you want the all day transportation card, they sell it at the little gift shop/store right on the pier as you get off the ship.

There's another type of card that is available from the tourist office. You can walk to the tourist office.

Would it be the same tram number to get from Vigeland back to the dock area?

Thanks

Lyn

Yes -- there is an island in the middle of the road where the tram/bus stops and there are signs on the island area and the trams....easy to understand. You can also ask anyone including the driver. Most everyone speaks English.

If you need to purchase a return ticket, there are ticket machines at this location.

Yes -- there is an island in the middle of the road where the tram/bus stops and there are signs on the island area and the trams....easy to understand. You can also ask anyone including the driver. Most everyone speaks English.

If you need to purchase a return ticket, there are ticket machines at this location.

Thanks

I am thinking of getting the Oslo pass as we are there 8am-6 pm

we have done the Fort before so time to see the other sights

Lyn

We are sailing on Disney magic....will be in port 8:30-4:30....family of 7 (3 adults and 4 kids under 8)....I have done my research with the Jown lawrence CD and he says to head to Vigeland park first, then go do the peinsula area to see ship museums, and then the remaining sites can be seen by walking around close to the ship area....what I am not sure about is ski jump.....is it open (it doesn't look like ho ho bus goes there).....I was going to purchase the Oslo pass for all of us......since I'm not sure if I could navigate transport with so mnay children we were also going to do Hoho bus.....would love your thoughts....I am also using Rick Steves book which has the self guided tour .....help!

Mardonna, a couple of years ago we did a tour which included the ski jump. I would vote for that as one of the most boring sights I have ever been schlepped out to. Cant imagine the kids being even a little bit interested and it is out of the way, you have to make an effort to get there. Skip it. Dont miss the sculpture park or the Viking ship museums. All of you will enjoy those.

----------------

Helen

We are sailing on Disney magic....will be in port 8:30-4:30....family of 7 (3 adults and 4 kids under 8)....I have done my research with the Jown lawrence CD and he says to head to Vigeland park first, then go do the peinsula area to see ship museums, and then the remaining sites can be seen by walking around close to the ship area....what I am not sure about is ski jump.....is it open (it doesn't look like ho ho bus goes there).....I was going to purchase the Oslo pass for all of us......since I'm not sure if I could navigate transport with so mnay children we were also going to do Hoho bus.....would love your thoughts....I am also using Rick Steves book which has the self guided tour .....help!

I would check into a car service that has a small van; it will be much easier and pleasant with kids and a large group. After buying all those HoHo tickets, the van maybe about the same price. Even if it is more expensive, it may be the difference between a day at ease or one filled with tension. The "Oslo Pass" is not the same as the "HoHo Bus" ticket....be sure to purchase the one you want. There is a lot of wasted time waiting for the HoHo bus at the different locations.

In my judgement, the local buses, trams, T-ban in Oslo are very efficient in getting you around and easy to use. You can purchase an 8 trip ticket (several if you need them) that is transferable, can be shared. The tickets are 1/2 price for children and seniors 67 and over. Single tickets are also available (http://www.trafikanten.no).

The ski jump is way out of the way, but there is a local bus that goes there. Email the Oslo tourist info. center for the bus #. It really isn't worth the trouble and time. You can see the ski jump from the ship as it sails in and out of the harbor. If you do go to the Holmenkollen area, there is a wonderful view from Frognersteren restaurant. The building itself has an interesting Viking style.

Definitely go to Vigeland Sculpture Park first, as early as possible. Be sure to buy a small English guide book for Vigeland Sculpture Park from the newstand to the right at the main entrance. The guide is necessary to gain insight and appreciate the sculptures.

The ski jump itself isn't worth the trouble...but the views of all of Oslo from that area are spectacular! We were fortunate in that we had someone I met on line who took us around a bit on our first day in Oslo, and took us to the ski jump, mainly for the views.

But given your limited time, the museums might be enough.

A highlight of OUR Oslo visit for me was the visit to the Nobel Museum. Lots of hands-on and up close exhibits, and some really meaningful and moving narratives. We were there about 3 hours, and I could have spent more time there.

Meant to add this -- photography. We took tons of pictures in and outside of all the Viking, Maritime, FRAM, and other museums on the island, and never were stopped. Only in the National Gallery were there signs and admonishments about "no photographs".

We always ask, to be sure, though.

It sounds like people think I should skip ski jump if it is open.....?

Is there only 1 HO HO Bus or are there several companies? I go to differnt websites but it seems like same company.....It sounded like Oslo Pass needs to be purchased or picked up at Cruise termnal anyway.

Do you know if it is true that American CC are not widely accepted because they use a special chip?

I think the kids will prefer the Ho ho bus over van......it makes it a little more entertaining....

Marlo

Visiting the jump is definitely about the views rather than the jump itself (unless you're a ski jumping enthusiast I guess)! It's not hsrd to get there by public transit if you want: just take the metro line 1 westbound. At the moment the tracks are under construction, so you have to transfer to a bus for part of the route, but the connection is clearly marked at the transfer station.

I agree with the oths that you'll probably enjoy staying in town a bit more. The trip up to the jump is around half an hour each way, and there are so many interesting things to see in town.

As far as I know there's only one Hoho bus and route. I can understand the draw of the commentary, but if you're willing to try the public transit (covered by the OsloPass), I would think it could be more convenient since the buses, trams, etc all run fairly often. The longest single trip is probably up to Vigelands Park, which is about 15 minutes by tram. And coming back from the Bygdøy Peninsula, you can take the ferry, which is kind of fun.

Archived