Any Alaskans tempted to take Alaskan Cruises?

Adri204

I notice thier are quite a few Alaskans who post on this thread and its wonderful to see all the great advice my fellow Alaskans give out. It shows our friendly spirit imo.

Anyway anyone who is Alaskan tempted to ever take one of these cruises? Ive been to some of the places in the South east as I went to UAS (University of Alaska Southeast) for a time. I just was curious as ive been tempted.

I must admit though when I think of cruising. I think of warm warm and more warm places lol like the Mexican Rivera, the Carribean, Panama, Bahamas, Bermuda etc etc.

However the one thing that would be tempting is to take a cruise that docks in Seward then its a train ride to Anchorage and instead of a plane ride. We would be home well unless one lives in Fairbanks or other places then its a plane ride.

But for me it would be then have someone pick me up from the eagan centre and then go home or take the train to Wasilla or the bus to Wasilla or right to meodowlakes and be home.

Thier is also a few cruises that ive seen that head from Alaska to Japan/China and vice versa. They go through Homer, Kodiak and other ports.

Anyway just wanted to ask fellow Alaskans if you have thaught about it?

For me im taking a Mexican Riviera cruise in October then looking at either a Panama or a european/transatlantic cruise in 2011. Im kind of waighing on Panama as again its warm.

Dont get me wrong I love Alaska and wont move. But in the winter I think of warm places to go for cruising/vacations lol :)

Adri

We used to say that there was no way we would take an Alaskan cruise, but now we would love to. My husband hasn't seen anything south of Yakutat, and some of those cruise fares are much cheaper than airfare to our Panhandle towns. And the ferry would end up costing more, also, because the way it is scheduled, we'd need hotel rooms in the towns we visited. The only thing holding us back is that we have too many things we want to do right here from May through September!

Anyway anyone who is Alaskan tempted to ever take one of these cruises?

I'm 100 miles north of Alaska (Skagway) but I hope I still qualify :) - I'm off on Alaska cruise #5 in 7 days!

I'm 100 miles north of Alaska (Skagway) but I hope I still qualify :) - I'm off on Alaska cruise #5 in 7 days!

Gasp sorry I forgot our naighbors and I am trying to see if I can change it to also include Canadians as you most certainly count. You do qualify.

Also mytime53 thats my deal to. Thier is so much to do here in the summer that really I think of cruising as somthing to do in the winter Hence my October cruise. Really ideally a cruise in say January or Febuary would work well but im probly looking at November or December for 2011 lol or maybe a January 2012 cruise.

If I did take a Alaska cruise it would probly be in September as we are so busy working all summer soaking up the short but beatiful alaskan Summers :)

Adri

I've done two now. In 2008, took the train from Anchorage (good old Northern Lights 2 for 1) to Whittier and then boarded the Sapphire Princess to Vancouver. My Mom sails with me and had lived her twice (Dad was Air Force) but had never seen any of SE (I had seen most of it because of business trips).

Then last year we did the Radiance Repositioning cruise in September from Vancouver back through Alaska, down to Victoria, an overnight in San Francisco and got off in San Diego.

Really enjoyed the repositioning cruise that I found one on the East Coast this year (Boston to Fort Lauderdale) and actually have already booked the 2011 repos (Boston to Tampa).

Could I see myself doing another Alaskan cruise, yes I could!

Susan in Anchorage :)

My first ever cruise was a short one with Cruise West into Glacier Bay from Juneau. Really liked the small ship experience.

Six years ago my wife and I had the opportunity for a week long naturalist stint on the Regent (then Radisson) Seven Seas Mariner from Seward to Vancouver via Hubbard Glacier, Skagway, Sitka, Juneau, and Ketchikan. Absolutely wonderful time interacting with passengers and stopping at the ports. We stayed up well into the evening when we'd leave ports looking at the scenery.

For four years after, we worked week-long periods on RCCL's Radiance Of The Seas. I enjoyed it more than my wife - she likes smaller ships vs. the big mega ships. Downside was that we didn't have as much to do as naturalists as we did with Regent. Hard to get excited about doing presentations when you have to leave the room early so they can set up for bingo :)

Would we go on our own without working - definitely. We'd prefer a smaller ship that goes in and out of the many passages of SE Alaska vs. the megaships but anytime you get to cruise, it's special.

Last October, we sailed on the Disney Wonder to the Bahamas and that remains our favorite ship. Glad they are coming to Alaska but wish their itinerary was a little better.

That is so cool. Ive been thinking about it for a september cruise and also again the airfare would be helpful if I did a one way either way out of Seward.

I would love to see more of Southeast its a small but beatiful part of our state. I love the ocean and all the sealife/wildlife and the beatiful places. It would be fun to see Juneau again and perhaps visit Auke bay and see UAS again.

I would love to do the Ziplining in Juneau :)

Adri

Living in AK and taking an AK cruise is sort of like my situation--living in the SE US and taking a cruise up the East Coast. I've been to Savannah & Charleston many times, but it's different coming into the harbor by cruiseship. Loved every minute of it and saw those port cities from a very different perspective. And re: the naturalists onboard--I love bingo but having a naturalist talk about AK and the unique things you see there--I'll take that over bingo any day! The naturalists on our Ak cruises have really been the highlights of the cruise for me.

Most people never see 1/2 of what their States have to offer.Why not go for it and enjoy.We are so grateful and excited to be going on our second Alaskan Cruise in less then 6 weeks.

Thanks go out to all of you for the great info and warm welcome.On our first Alaskan cruise in 2004 we were the 3 cruise to stop at Icy Straits.The People were so excited about us coming and so helpful.They did such a wonderful job teaching me and many others about their land and culture.I will remember many of them forever.I was able to meet several and thank them in person.Now we are stopping in Anchorage and I am getting the same warm feeling from you .

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Most people never see 1/2 of what their States have to offer.Why not go for it and enjoy.We are so grateful and excited to be going on our second Alaskan Cruise in less then 6 weeks.

Thanks go out to all of you for the great info and warm welcome.On our first Alaskan cruise in 2004 we were the 3 cruise to stop at Icy Straits.The People were so excited about us coming and so helpful.They did such a wonderful job teaching me and many others about their land and culture.I will remember many of them forever.I was able to meet several and thank them in person.Now we are stopping in Anchorage and I am getting the same warm feeling from you .

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Your very welcome and im tempted. I know it wont be this year 2010. But it might be fun in 2011 it just depends on my schedule and what I plan for that year. One of the most tempting parts is that its a one way cruise faire. I would like to fly out to Seattle and then take the cruise to Seward and then come home that way.

I am also so proud of my Fellow Alaskans and how warm and friendly we are over all on this site. I love it. So thanks for your kind praise. I also love reading others enthusiasm about coming to our great and beatiful state :)

"Proud to be an Alaskan",

Adri :)

I lived in Alaska but now am living on a mesa in Texas. I get up to Alaska as often as I can and frequently find a cheap northbound cruise to get back 'inside' in the right frame of mind. I book the cheapest room I can get on a good ship.

I can't cruise away from Alaska as I cry too much when I depart. I have to fly out and get it over with.

a cruise? no. i visit all of the southeast port cities, except skagway, two or three times a year. i'll be spending two weeks in may in the capital city and forced to endure a greater amount of time this year in the first city.

but i have chartered a couple of times and have been on 10 day independant cruises through southeast. i enjoy the experience of the inside passage that can't be seen from a large cruise ship.

i do understand the economics, convenience, and planning provided by mainline cruise ships. but for me, it is not necessary.

Archived