Help! Family of 12 Cruise to Alaska

Samantha94

My husband and I will be celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary next year and we would like to take our children/spouses and grandchildren on a cruise to Alaska. Since we live in California and Princess Cruise Lines embarks out of San Francisco, we thought this would be a good option for us therby we won't have any flight costs. We have two children and their spouses, plus each family has 3 children; there are a total of 12 of us. My question is if anyone knows whether or not 1) 5 people can be in one cabin on Princess Cruise Lines; and 2) suggestions on the most economical way to book a cruise like this???

Samantha

My husband and I will be celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary next year and we would like to take our children/spouses and grandchildren on a cruise to Alaska. Since we live in California and Princess Cruise Lines embarks out of San Francisco, we thought this would be a good option for us therby we won't have any flight costs. We have two children and their spouses, plus each family has 3 children; there are a total of 12 of us. My question is if anyone knows whether or not 1) 5 people can be in one cabin on Princess Cruise Lines; and 2) suggestions on the most economical way to book a cruise like this???

Samantha

You posted this yesterday, here are some answers.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1192623

Oops! I thought I was answering the other thread where someone recommended sailing from Seattle:

The drive to Seattle from California isn't too bad or you could take the train. Although the train is probably at least as much as flying. Also, depending on how old the grandchildren are (school age?) , the early or late season cruises are sometimes less expensive. (May/early June and September).

We also are planning some sort of celebratory cruise for our 40th anniversary and my 60th birthday in 2011. I think we'll go cheap though and do Mexico.(Also the grandkids are too young to appreciate Alaska yet).

It is a good thought to take the train rather than fly to Seattle as I do believe that the train would be less expensive, but you did give another good thought regarding the ages of the grandkids - We have them ranging from 14 yrs. down to 2 yrs. which is a huge difference activity wise, but between our two grown children, we can't leave one or the other out :). So maybe we too, should think of an alternative cruise - you got us thinking . . . Thank you!

Samantha

Oops! I thought I was answering the other thread where someone recommended sailing from Seattle:

The drive to Seattle from California isn't too bad or you could take the train. Although the train is probably at least as much as flying. Also, depending on how old the grandchildren are (school age?) , the early or late season cruises are sometimes less expensive. (May/early June and September).

We also are planning some sort of celebratory cruise for our 40th anniversary and my 60th birthday in 2011. I think we'll go cheap though and do Mexico.(Also the grandkids are too young to appreciate Alaska yet).

She will be 2 this coming September, and almost 3 next summer - although she is quite advanced due to the older sibblings. Hmmm . . . thank you again!

Samantha

One side note: hopefully your 2 year old grandchild will be 3 years old by the time you sail. They can participate in the Fun Zone Childrens Center only if they are 3 or older. ;)

If you sail before her 3rd birthday she can play in the Fun Zone only with a parent. She cannot be left there for babysitting. (And they'll know how old she is from her passport!) Just something to keep in mind so it doesn't surprise everyone.

If the grown-ups get a balcony cabin or below, this will sleep 4. I suggest PAYING the 14-year-old to share an inside cabin with some of the other older children. Book the inside cabin right across the hall from the parents. The kids will think it is a great adventure to sleep in a "kids cabin", and the 14 year old will snitch if anybody is naughty. You can even be flexible about which kids sleep where on certain nights. The younger kids can sleep in the pulldowns, with Mom and Dad. Grownups can take turns watching the younger kids at different times.;)

Thank you - we were thinking about that and wondering if her 3rd. birthday would be close enough (September) that they would allow her to join. We now are considering an entirely different trip - possibly to Disney World :) Will keep checking though on prices between the two, but if we have to fly anyway, we may be able to use frequent flyer miles between the families for flight and then rent a condo in Disney World. Am glad we're starting this search early on - Appreciate your comments and help!

Samantha

If you sail before her 3rd birthday she can play in the Fun Zone only with a parent. She cannot be left there for babysitting. (And they'll know how old she is from her passport!) Just something to keep in mind so it doesn't surprise everyone.

This may be a good solution for sleeping arrangements and we actually have two 14 year olds ("twins") that could alternate time :). We may change plans altogether though - please see my response to cruznliz below - ages of kids are playing a big part in the decision. Ugh! This shouldn't be so hard :) Thanks for your comments and help!

Samantha

If the grown-ups get a balcony cabin or below, this will sleep 4. I suggest PAYING the 14-year-old to share an inside cabin with some of the other older children. Book the inside cabin right across the hall from the parents. The kids will think it is a great adventure to sleep in a "kids cabin", and the 14 year old will snitch if anybody is naughty. You can even be flexible about which kids sleep where on certain nights. The younger kids can sleep in the pulldowns, with Mom and Dad. Grownups can take turns watching the younger kids at different times.;)

Archived