Just off Liberty

alli

Hi Guys,

Just off Liberty--promise a review in the up coming week ( as soon as we muck through the laundry and get back on work schedules).

It wasn't the best of times, it wasn't the worst of times....but at times we didn't have any water in our cabin!! LOL.

More information to follow.

Question-who are the maitre'ds for the Liberty...wondering if Alex is back from his holidays or not.....can't miss him, tall and oh my good looking and charming!

Liberty is a great ship and I'll be on her soon enough

I believe there was a post that liberty was late or something a week or so ago. Not sure but hope there isnt anything going on with her!

I just got off the Liberty on 4/24. There weren't any ship problems as far as I could tell. We were on time if not early for all of our ports. We did leave Miami about an hour or so late-I thought that may have been b/c of many air travel delays on Fri. and Sat.

Question-who are the maitre'ds for the Liberty...wondering if Alex is back from his holidays or not.....can't miss him, tall and oh my good looking and charming!

Liberty is a great ship and I'll be on her soon enough

From 4/17-4/24 upstairs was Elvis and I don't remember who was downstairs.

From 4/17-4/24 upstairs was Elvis and I don't remember who was downstairs.

I got off the Liberty on the 24th as well and we did have a few hrs without water but it was fixed in no time at all. Nothing to complain about. I loved, loved the Liberty and hopefully will get to sail on her again someday.:)

Our maitre'd for the Silver dining room was Omar. He was fantastic!! We spent about half an hour talking to him during lunch in the Lido. He's been with Carnival for 17 years and has seen the industry evolve over the years.

The water issues were on decks six and seven. We received written notices prior to both episodes...9 am to 3pm one day and 8 am till 2pm the second day. For us, it was definitely an inconvenience.

Thats along to be without water in the cabins.. You have to get up, get a shower, and get out for the most part.. That would be inconvienent for me. I dont tend to be up and showered that early...And my kids defiantely arent, my daughter would have a fit.:(

I believe there was a post that liberty was late or something a week or so ago. Not sure but hope there isnt anything going on with her!

We just got off the Liberty yesterday as well. We had an Aft Wrap, room 8455, and had no problems with water at all. I can tell you we loved the Aft Wrap cabin. Views were great on virtually all sides!

We did get a late start out of port, heard it was due to some delayed travelers.

I don't plan on doing a long review, however I will post a few things that might be important to know. (good and bad)

• I heard about trash falling onto the balcony from the aft pool area. We had no problems with that at all. Also, no problems with chairs scraping, loud noises, etc. Once in a while we did hear a chair, but I think it was one of our neighbors, which can happen anywhere on the ship.
  • I think the Aft Wrap on deck 8 is the largest of the 3 decks, but much of it can be seen from the angled windows in the aft pool area. Not a problem, there is still plenty of room to "hide" if you are doing things you don't want people to see. ;) But the size of the balcony just can't be beat.
  • The water from the propellers sounds a bit like a waterfall, vs. in the front of the ship where the water from the bow sounds more like waves on a beach. We liked both, but from a sound perspective only, we liked the front. From a view perspective, the aft wrap balcony is awesome. (OK, I've said that more than once, but it is deserved) :D
  • There is an emergency exit door next to the door to the cabin. Employees use it for their cigarette breaks, so the hall does have a bit of smoke smell at almost all times. It doesn't get in the room unless you use bungee cords to keep the doors open. When you do that, it creates a "suction" of sorts that pulls air from the hall, under the door, and into your room. This meant we couldn't sleep with the door "bungee'd" open without getting the smoke smell pulled into the room. We became friends with the couple on deck 7 below us, and they said they also smelled the smoke from the stairwell emergency exit.
  • The only engine vibration we heard/felt was when the ship was moving sideways, like in port. Most of the time, it was just the normal movement and noises. I can tell you that if you like it as quiet as possible when you sleep, make sure all of the wooden hangers in the closets are pushed together so they don't "bump" each other at night. Also, the safe door is a bit loose, so it can clank a bit as well with the motion of the ship. Had to open it one night to stop it. Finally, the round shaving mirror in the bathroom can make some noise if it is pushed against the wall. All sounds kind of silly, but at 3am when all 3 are making noise, it can keep you awake (or at least it could with me!). All in all, it is great though!
  • The Aft Wrap room is probably the same size as all others, but it is almost pie shaped, so it seems a bit small.
  • The balcony had two loungers, 4 chairs and 2 small tables. All perfect to chill out. I wish the windows below the railing were a bit cleaner as your eye level when sitting is right at the wooden rail. If you want to look at the water, you are looking through glass. Next time I might try to get them to clean it with a little windex or something.
  • The toilets are NOISY! :eek: It is especially noticable at 3am, 4am, 5am, etc. You can hear them flush below you and around you. At first it's kind of funny, but later in the week it's just annoying! I'm not complaining, it is better than not flushing, but it sounds like somebody is crashing something.
  • We did the Western Carribean. Everyone has their preferences, and ours does not include Mexico. I've been to Acapulco, Puerto Vallerta, Mazatlan and Cabo (all on pacific side). Was hoping Cozumel would be better, but I think we just don't like Mexico. Period. Sorry, I've heard many that do. We just don't! :( We did the Playa de Maya deluxe beach excursion. It was aweful. The only way it is worth the money is if you can drink enough to offset the cost. The beach and all other amenities weren't even close to being nice. The water was dirty and filled with seaweed, sand bags and rock. There was a lifeguard platform that was so shoddy it fell over on an older couple and really hurt the woman. I am usually don't complain, but this one was bad..... for us anyway. :o
  • Grand Caymen was much nicer, but a bit expensive. We just shopped there and had lunch as it was a short day at port.
  • Jamaica was fun. The falls were great and well worth the visit, although we like to hike and be adventerous, so I would have preferred not doing it as part of a big group. They treat you like you are on a 3rd grade field trip, including literally forcing you to buy water at the beginning to keep "hydrated". You don't need it, and if you do, bring your own. $5 for two small bottles of water. The only other thing about Jamaica is that they are aggressive, not unlike Mexico, but they are a very happy aggressive. They make you feel like you are part of their family before they try to get you to spend your money. Be careful, they are very good at what they do. But they are also very fun to talk to.
  • The cruise director Noonan was just OK. We don't really get caught up in all of the announcements and hype anyway so no big deal.
  • Food was plentiful and relatively good at all times. The pizza was great as was the deli and the burrito bar. Sushi was also very good, although they are small plates so you have to make a couple trips, and we really aren't big eaters.
  • We work out regularly, and you have to get to the gym very early or later in the morning if you want to run on a treadmill. There is a running area on the ship, but it is very small so you are constantly going in a circle (9 laps = 1 mile and we usually run about 5-6 miles, so it's just too much)
  • The music on Lido deck was hit or miss. A couple singers were good, but a couple were no better than kareoke, and it is VERY loud if you are seated right next to the pool. We ended up moving back a little so we could talk to people and chill. Ahh, just right then! :)

We are also booked on a family cruise on the Dream in August, so we clearly enjoy cruising with Carnival. Overall, you can't beat Carnival for the money, but we are looking to compare with other cruise lines eventually to see if they are all the same or if one is better than the other (always a personal choice).

Would be happy to answer any questions, if I can, but I am not a cruise expert or anything.

For those of you that are about to cruise on Liberty, overall I think you will be very satisfied and happy, if you want to be! ENJOY!!

Thanks for the review. We leave Saturday on the Liberty and I can't wait. Can you tell me which nights were formal? Also, at Dunns River Falls, did you happen to notice if the stairs next to the falls are really steep? I was there and climbed the falls about 12 years ago but I don't remember. My sister and I are taking our mom on the cruise for Mother's Day and we don't want to climb but are thinking of going and walking the path next to them. But not sure if it would be too much for our Mom.

Thanks for the review. We leave Saturday on the Liberty and I can't wait. Can you tell me which nights were formal? Also, at Dunns River Falls, did you happen to notice if the stairs next to the falls are really steep? I was there and climbed the falls about 12 years ago but I don't remember. My sister and I are taking our mom on the cruise for Mother's Day and we don't want to climb but are thinking of going and walking the path next to them. But not sure if it would be too much for our Mom.

Formal nights were Sunday and Thursday, at least on our trip. Not sure if they ever change.

As for the falls, the steps are about normal in height, not really too steep in my opinion. They are also fairly wide steps, so they seem fairly easy to navigate. I would take my mom, however it might take her a while with breaks, etc. I think it is something like 900 feet in total length, so while not particularly steep, it is long. They have some nice spots to stop and rest and enjoy the falls though.

There seems to be conflicting information as to whether or not the Liberty has a pasta bar. Do you remember seeing one?

I did not see a pasta bar. There is food everywhere, so it is possible I missed it, but I don't think so. Sometimes they do themes, so it might be that there was a pasta theme at some point. For example, one day they had a chocolate theme, and an entire buffet was devoted to different foods made of chocolate.

Going on the Liberty in 10 days. I was wondering if the balcony doors lock behind you when you go out?

No they don't. They will slam shut, but they won't lock. The only lock is a slidebar from the inside.

Enjoy your trip!

I'm doing the same itinerary in September. At Dunn River Falls, can you climb on your own or does it have to be with a guide?

How long was the sushi bar open every night?

TIA!

There must be a way to climb it on your own because many people were doing it, but there were also a lot of groups. Once you climb with the group, it seems you can mill around and probably go back and do it again on your own, but not sure. They don't seem very strict with rules.

The sushi bar was open for about 3 hours, from about 5:30 - 8:30 or 8:45pm.

Archived