Fascination staying in Jacksonville?

Janespup

I was looking to book the Fascination for next Spring and she is only listed as far as April 30th, from Jacksonville. All of the other ships seem to have 2012 dates already. Does anyone know if there are plans to stop this itinerary?

I was looking to book the Fascination for next Spring and she is only listed as far as April 30th, from Jacksonville. All of the other ships seem to have 2012 dates already. Does anyone know if there are plans to stop this itinerary?

I don't have the latest information, but there are talks about the current cruise terminal in Jacksonville closing down. It was built as a temporary facility, looking at building a permanent facility in a different location. Since then, environmentalists and some locals have complained about the (negative) impact that cruise ships bring to the area, and the new terminal was voted down.

Don't know at present time what the future holds for Jacksonville...

I hope it stays in JAX. I'd like to sail to the Bahamas from there...and Jacksonville's a heckuva lot easier to get to than some of the other cities under discussion.

And a lot of itineraries haven't been announced yet for after April 2011. I'm anxiously awaiting Canada/NE for 2011.

I hope it stays in JAX. I'd like to sail to the Bahamas from there...and Jacksonville's a heckuva lot easier to get to than some of the other cities under discussion.

And a lot of itineraries haven't been announced yet for after April 2011. I'm anxiously awaiting Canada/NE for 2011.

I am waiting for them to release the itineraries for the Spirit after September 2011. I really hope they keep the Spirit in San Diego.

By no means do I claim to be an authority, but the latest I remember hearing is that they are "rethinking" building the new terminal.

The town/community of Mayport is where they had planned to build the new terminal. Local residents put up a fuss citing enviromental concerns as well as destruction of historical something or others. Then when the economy tanked and residents of Mayport started to look for more revenue, they suddenly became interested in the port again.

Whether or not it will actually happen, who knows at this point. But the port at the current location is due to be closed first part of 2011.

By no means do I claim to be an authority, but the latest I remember hearing is that they are "rethinking" building the new terminal.

The town/community of Mayport is where they had planned to build the new terminal. Local residents put up a fuss citing enviromental concerns as well as destruction of historical something or others. Then when the economy tanked and residents of Mayport started to look for more revenue, they suddenly became interested in the port again.

Whether or not it will actually happen, who knows at this point. But the port at the current location is due to be closed first part of 2011.

Yep! That's pretty much it. Carnival's contract with JaxPort was extended up to May 2011. After that, Jax will close the current "temporary" cruise terminal facility.

So either Jax will stop being a cruise port, or they'll build the new terminal they were supposed to build years ago.

IMO, you are smart to book for April, as I have little confidence in the town's leaders actually following through with the new terminal. :mad:

Archived