October temp St Martin Caves

Hi All: I've extensively searched this forum. Can't find this question. DH is cold sensitive and thus the question. DH and I (mid 50s) will be in St John, NB with RCI on Tues, Oct 12, 2010 from 7-5:30 pm. I'm so interested in getting us to St. Martin. Debating renting a car, private tour or go seamless with RCI. I very much want to walk out to the caves. I'm wondering about shoe wear. I have the tide schedule, so I know driving a car would get us there in low tide. Would those mucker-type shoes be okay. We wouldn't want to have the water actually touch our feet. Is mid Oct pushing it as far as coldness is concerned??? Is it difficult to drive there by ourselves? DH is a pretty good driver. I fear if I book via RCI, we will arrive at the "wrong time" (by accident, I'm sure), and I'll be sooo disappointed. When we went to Alaska last fall we did RCI tours and were very pleased. This cave thing, however, is so time sensitive.

I'd also like to turn the car in and then somehow do a Highlights of STJ tour somehow. Am I planning on too much.? I had read that driving throughout the city can be tricky. DH would like to relax and just veg on a tour.

Any help on these questions of Oct temp and the caves would greatly help in my planning. thanks all.

It was nice and warm last fall when we were out there at the caves. We missed the tide so did not walk out, but did enjoy a snack at the restaurant right there. The drive was very easy and you shouldn't have any trouble finding your way!

Hi All: I've extensively searched this forum. Can't find this question. DH is cold sensitive and thus the question. DH and I (mid 50s) will be in St John' date=' NB with RCI on Tues, Oct 12, 2010 from 7-5:30 pm. I'm so interested in getting us to St. Martin. Debating renting a car, private tour or go seamless with RCI. I very much want to walk out to the caves. I'm wondering about shoe wear. I have the tide schedule, so I know driving a car would get us there in low tide. Would those mucker-type shoes be okay. We wouldn't want to have the water actually touch our feet. Is mid Oct pushing it as far as coldness is concerned??? Is it difficult to drive there by ourselves? DH is a pretty good driver. I fear if I book via RCI, we will arrive at the "wrong time" (by accident, I'm sure), and I'll be sooo disappointed. When we went to Alaska last fall we did RCI tours and were very pleased. This cave thing, however, is so time sensitive.

I'd also like to turn the car in and then somehow do a Highlights of STJ tour somehow. Am I planning on too much.? I had read that driving throughout the city can be tricky. DH would like to relax and just veg on a tour.

Any help on these questions of Oct temp and the caves would greatly help in my planning. thanks all.[/quote']

For shoes wearing sneakers are fine and no worries about getting feet wet at low tide. Expect temps mid-October to reach a high of around 53 degrees and a low of around 40 in the early morning. Tours are typically timed with low tide whenever possible. Driving there is relatively straight forward - however there are other options aside from booking with cruise ship - visit www.freedomtours.com

There is plenty of time to do St. Martin's, then afterwards exploring the historic area of Saint John by foot where the cruise ship docks where most of the port's "must see's" are.

• 3 months later...

Bitoesswimm'n, love that name. I've been wondering some of the same questions you've asked. Thanks so much, Acey, for your help. I'v read your responses on many threads. We are using Freedomtours to go to St. Martins and Molega tours in Halifax.

Patsy,

Hi All: I've extensively searched this forum. Can't find this question. DH is cold sensitive and thus the question. DH and I (mid 50s) will be in St John' date=' NB with RCI on Tues, Oct 12, 2010 from 7-5:30 pm. I'm so interested in getting us to St. Martin. Debating renting a car, private tour or go seamless with RCI. I very much want to walk out to the caves. I'm wondering about shoe wear. I have the tide schedule, so I know driving a car would get us there in low tide. Would those mucker-type shoes be okay. We wouldn't want to have the water actually touch our feet. Is mid Oct pushing it as far as coldness is concerned??? Is it difficult to drive there by ourselves? DH is a pretty good driver. I fear if I book via RCI, we will arrive at the "wrong time" (by accident, I'm sure), and I'll be sooo disappointed. When we went to Alaska last fall we did RCI tours and were very pleased. This cave thing, however, is so time sensitive.

Any help on these questions of Oct temp and the caves would greatly help in my planning. thanks all.[/quote']

Wearing your sneakers will be fine - your feet will not get wet if you are there 2 hours before or after low tide. You will be walking on pebbles. Driving there is very straight forward from car rental agencies. Lots of time to turn in car and walk around the uptown area to all the historic attractions. Don't bother with Reversing Falls unless you are zip lining or jet boat riding. Expect the temp to range from 40 to 50 degrees.

I'd recommend driving or getting a guide (they use their car). We were there in August. You can literally see the big caves from the parking lot so DH could stay in the car or venture out. The tour bus stops at the souvenirs area for a good time and really doesn't let you explore the caves. I was there only once and still had to cross a small stream (6 ft wide and water 3-5 inches deep). I don't know if it is ever completely dry. The water is cold. Take a pair of sandals to cross. You'll need sturdy shoes to cross the rocks for maybe count on bringing two pairs.

But, believe me, you've got to cross the stream. Because, what you don't realize until you are there, is that there is another cave network around the bend. It takes a little bit (and I do mean a little bit) of agility as you cross rocks covered in moss (the moss is slippery so find footing on the bare rocks instead). But you'll be rewarded for your efforts.

We didn't opt for a guide but our fellow shipmates raved about theirs ($50 per hour and they drive). It would have been nice to have a geologist or knowledgeable person as a guide.

It sounds like a canned tour would not afford you the time to really explore the caves.

And the Fundy Trail starts just outside of St Martin.

Archived