waterproof camera pouch/case

what do you use when bringing your digital camera on excursions that involve activities in/around water?

This is what I use and it is great. It is not too big, yet it holds a lot.

What you see in the picture is the big one and the smaller one they sell. I have the bigger one.

It will hold a full size mens wallet, plus the camera, (if it is a normal one)

It goes around your waist like a fanny pack but is very comfortable.

Here is another on the same page as that one on the right. ;)

PH106_th.jpg

http://www.magellans.com/store/Safet...eltsSV834?Args=

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge it a little.

sv834_lg.jpg.d111f084b8338879a716dc95d1b42a91.jpg

what do you use when bringing your digital camera on excursions that involve activities in/around water? I was thinking about getting one of thees or similar. opinions appreciated?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026YDQOA/ref=oss_product

Well you may not want to here this but here goes. If you have a digital camera that is old and you don't mind having to throw it away because it got wet the pouches are ok. I you have a new digital camera I would purchase an underwater housing. These housings are can be purchased at bargain prices on the net but just remember a strobe slave flash will also be needed. The total cost with maintenance items will be around $900. Bargain prices on Ebay may be around $600. So, if your on a limited budget pick up or use about a 5 to 7mp camera for around a $100 and purchase the bag for around $40. Then if it leaks your only out the $140...

Happy Sailing

Earl

We have such a pouch but I don't trust it. I tried it in the sink and no water got in, but the photos of my hand inches away were no good. In or near water, I use a disposable waterproof camera, sometimes the photos aren't any better, but it's safer!

This is the waterproof pac I bought and used the last two years. It is kinda hard to see thru underwater, but so is a regular camera. I just snapped away and picked the best shots when I got back.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=dicapac&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=702782520993950208&ei=zLbeS_jBL4z09ASMxuWmBw&s

Here is a picture I took while the camera was in the bag. We were parasailing across Orient Bay.

2402684420103583464S500x500Q85.jpg

May also want to check out the thread on favorite photos. Just in the last couple of days someone had on very very clear pictures with a underwater housing unit. Not sure how much they run, but may want to consider.

A few more notes. If you purchase a bag be sure to get the one with the optical lens area made to take pics underwater. This will prevent the blur. Also remember that if the humidity from the air and the temp reaches due point the bag will condensate inside the bag causing it fog up and possibly ruin your camera. They have silica packs to place inside the bag to help prevent this.

Later

Earl

Well you may not want to here this but here goes. If you have a digital camera that is old and you don't mind having to throw it away because it got wet the pouches are ok. I you have a new digital camera I would purchase an underwater housing. These housings are can be purchased at bargain prices on the net but just remember a strobe slave flash will also be needed. The total cost with maintenance items will be around $900. Bargain prices on Ebay may be around $600. So, if your on a limited budget pick up or use about a 5 to 7mp camera for around a $100 and purchase the bag for around $40. Then if it leaks your only out the $140...

Happy Sailing

Earl

I can't agree more about the housing unit. I have a Canon that I just love. It's a replacement for the exact same model that I lost when it fell into a river while I was kayaking. I always felt those housing units were too pricey...until I lost a $300 camera. (Maybe that's not a lot to some of you, but it is to me!!)

The nice thing about the underwater case is that it mimics the function of the camera when it is out of the case, making it super easy to operate under water. I was VERY pleased with the quality of the photos it took. For the first year or two after I purchased the case, I used it only in areas where my camera might get wet or sandy - the beach, climbing Dunns River Falls, kayaking. I was still too afraid to totally submerge it. On my recent cruise, I went into Titou Gorge in Dominica, camera in case. I anticipated holding the camera above water, which I quickly realized would be just impossible. In many areas, the water is quite deep and it's hard to swim and keep a camera above the surface. I finally let go and allowed the camera to swim freely from the strap around my neck. NO damage. NO water. Later on the cruise, I took it snorkeling. I dove down to see a shipwreck. I touched the sea turtles. I got GREAT photos.

They are SO worth it. I highly recommend the investment.

Whichever route you go, you need to keep constantly checking the front of the camera for drops of water. Water in the camera's field of view will leave blurry spots on your shots. This isn't an issue under water, of course. But when using the case in wet areas or when you come out of the water, it's important to check.

Last year I bought a dicapac for my camera to take pics. underwater when we went snorkeling. The dicapac worked wonderful I had the camera in the water a lot during the cruise, 2 different spots in the ocean, swimming with stingrays, in the pools etc. No water ever got in, you just have to make sure you take proper care of it and your camera. If I remember it was about $40-$45. they come in all different sizes for different types of cameras. This year i dont have to worry though as i got an olympus stylus tough 8000 which is water proof to 33 ft. :)

www.dicapacusa.com this is the dicapac site where i bought mine hope this helps.

Another vote for the dicapac. My DW uses it on her Cannon. It did a wonderful job at Sting Ray City and river tubing. Before you ever put your camera in it do the test they recommend. Put a paper towel in and seal it according to directions then submerse it for a minute. Open it up and the towel had better be dry.

Here is the information that goes with the picture I posted last night in my above post.

Then all your other things and the camera can go in the larger pouch. ;)

http://www.magellans.com/store/Gifts_for_Travelers___Gifts_under__25PH106?istobe-ref=SV834&istobe-type=0

PH106_lg.jpg

WaterSeals™

$9.85

Item #PH106

WaterSeals™ protect electronic devices. Leaving valuable electronics on the beach when you go swimming can be risky. Instead, tuck your camera, iPod®, MP3 or DVD player into this 100% waterproof pouch and take it into the water with you. (You can even take underwater photos from inside the pouch!) The adjustable strap can be worn around your neck or over your shoulder. (8¼ x 4¾")

Archived