Carnival Pride passenger drowns on Grand Bahama

nagster[/size];24295845]How about personal responsibilty. I have been on excursions where I have acessed (assessed?) the situation and allowed or not allowed my minor children to attempt. This post is in response to the news article and the response by Tricia. Why does someone always have to be at fault. If the water was rough I wouldn't let my 73 year old in laws out there. At that age trouble can come in lots of forms.
Sounds like someone is living up to their name.

If the water was too rought the captain should not have let the people out, they are the ones that know the local conditions. Most of the time when I go out to snorkel or dive the captain will have alternate sites available. If conditions are too rough at Point A, 1 5 minute boat ride to Point B can bring surprisingly calmer waters.

I took my kids snorkeling in Bermuda, and we went with a tour. Good move. Even if you are a good swimmer, it is sooo tiring! We had noodles so we were good. We also just did some on our own, and I had to drop my flippers because it was really difficult to swim to shore with them on. Not what I wanted to do, as I know it's bad for the environment, but I really had no choice. I can definitely see how this poor woman drowned! Take some type of flotation device with you!!!!

I was on this cruise, I don't know what happened to this lady, but I do know from others who were snorkeling that the water conditions were very rough. They cancelled other tours because of rough waters. The glass bottom boats, I know for sure, because people in our group were booked on that. I don't understand how they can feel the water is too rough for glass bottom boats, but not snorkeling.

What a tragedy, her poor family.

I agree that rough waters would warrent excursion to be canceled, if you're snorkling how on earth are you going to enjoy it if the waters are rough.

We also did the snorkle at Paradise in Bahamas and the water was FREEZING, it was about 60 degrees and raining. I did not get in the water, no way, no how, I like my water warm like a bath. My hubby did but he said it was not a cool reef.

I think the folks at Paradise tend to make their money first and think of the clients comfort and enjoyment later. Unfortunately for them we will never be repeat customers.

Prayers and sympathy to the family of this poor woman.

Carole

I do not want to be insensetive. However,If it was from natural causes what a way to go.

I can't help but agree.. I feel bad for the family...any death is a tragedy to the loves who love them....

But if I was 71 and going to die of a heart attack (presuming I know)... what better way than on a great vacation with my husband swimming in the ocean in the Caribbean!

Our thoughts and prayers go out to her family. I went snorkeling on NCL's private island, and my brother was 10 years old at the time. Its a GREAT experiance, but you have to make sure you dont panic. I began to hyperventilate when I had a school of fish around me (I HATE fish, i know weird). I definatly caught a few mouth fulls of water. At her age, it is definatly possible to have a heart attack or something, and then drown. Snorkeling there should be fine, as long as you be careful, and dont panic or anything.

Ok I take back what I said earlier, I don't think this was the same excursion I went on! The excursion I went on was booked privately, not through the ship(you can't book it through the ship) And we were driven to a cove and walked out into the water, not getting off a boat.

If people want to see a calm, beautiful place to snorkel in Freeport look up Paradise Cove at Deadman's reef. Only 12 people from our ship went on that excursion(like I said it is a private excursion)

We were on this cruise and were at Paradise Cove that day, there must be another deadman's reef or the article is wrong because it was only us and another couple. Neither of us anywhere near 70's. The water was freezing, but we went snorkeling anyway, It was a bit rough outside the reef.

Point of the story, they don't boat people into Paradise Cove so it must have been somewhere else. This does not change the fact that it is sad and our prayers go out to the family. :(

To look at it another way, she wasy 70+ years old and snorkeling on a cruise. I would much rather go that way than be 75 and racked by sickness.

There is no good time or way to go, but given my pick that may be near the top of my choices.

Please understand I am not degrading a persons death. But being on vacation with my wife at 70+ years, doing something i love...I would consider that a good long life..

I booked a snorkel excursion the other day and now I am getting a bit nervous. i can swim but am not a strong swimmer. Iguess I will be snorkeling with a life jacket or swimmies!!! :p

It all depends on the tour operator, I guess. I snorkeled for the first time in January in Nassau. It was a catamaran snorkel---they took us about by boat and we went directly into the water. They provided flotation devices and required everyone to wear them.

I booked a snorkel excursion the other day and now I am getting a bit nervous. i can swim but am not a strong swimmer. Iguess I will be snorkeling with a life jacket or swimmies!!! :p

Absolutely nothing wrong with that! :)

On all of the snorkel excursions that I have taken through the ship, or with a private operator; they've had vests or some type of flotation device available....and it has been rare if they let anyone in the water without insisting they wear one.

I remember one time snorkeling in rough waters near Grand Cayman where a woman from our excursion was not a strong swimmer, and she had a difficult time in the water. I was worried enough about her to take her back to the boat, and swim off to make sure that her daughter was okay. The woman was about 15 years younger than me, so age doesn't matter.

Everyone needs to respect their limitations. We really don't know all of the details. I didn't read anywhere that she didn't have a vest on. It is a tragedy regardless of what actually happened, but if it was her time to go, a life vest probably wouldn't have made a difference.

The main reason people die while snorkeling is because of inhaling water. If the person is inexperianced, the water leaking into their mask can cause them to panic, especially if they are bobbing in water & trying to empty their mask. Wear a vest, get a good fitting mask and snorkle with a buddy.

I consider my water skills pretty good (Dive Master with over 500 logged dives) and I ALWAYS wear a snorkel vest when snorkeling.You never know when something might go wrong or some other nut in a full panic may grab ahold of you.The ocean while very beautiful can also be very unforgiving.Prayers go out to the lady's family.

Archived