Carnival Pride passenger drowns on Grand Bahama

This is awful. We are considering snorkling at the same reef - is it dangerous? Can anyone who has done it before please comment on it?

No it is not dangerous at Paradise Cove(Deadman's reef) my DH and I were there 4/16/10. He has never snorkeled before and has had 5 back surguries in the past 3 years. It is pretty calm and mostly shallow to the point you can still stand pretty far out, it drops of sharply if you go beyond the rocks, but you must have a buddy with you and they have rafts set up if you need to rest. I plan on taking my family there next year when we all go on a cruise.

The article did not say the woman drowned just that she began having difficulty. I would guess she probably had a heart attack. I do feel for the family and the other guests that had to witness it.

This is awful. We are considering snorkling at the same reef - is it dangerous? Can anyone who has done it before please comment on it?

I would think you could request a life vest if you are concerned. I have done that once when I was on a snorkeling excursion and the water was too rough for my comfort.

No it is not dangerous at Paradise Cove(Deadman's reef) my DH and I were there 4/16/10.

I would like to believe you since, as you say, you have been there, but I can't help wondering why it's called "Deadman's Reef?":confused:

I would like to believe you since, as you say, you have been there, but I can't help wondering why it's called "Deadman's Reef?":confused:

Just about every island in the Caribbean has a reef named, "Deadman's Reef". Very common. Probably dates back to the pirating days.:)

On land almost every rural county road has a "Deadman's Curve".

Every dry river bed has a "Deadman's Gulch".

Every wild river has a "Deadman's Rapids".:rolleyes:

God rest her soul! And God bless the family with understanding of peace and comfort!!!

I do snorkel with a life vest. I don't dive when I snorkel (since I din't know how to) and I float at the top and just look at all the beauty.

I think if anyone takes this same excursion... knowing your buddy... you should be safe. And I'm sure, because tourism is so important to the area, that it will be examined and reveiwed to see if new precautions need to be added.

Just about every island in the Caribbean has a reef named, "Deadman's Reef". Very common. Probably dates back to the pirating days.:)

On land almost every rural county road has a "Deadman's Curve".

^^^^^I know. Our local "deadman's curve" is so named because a lot of people have been hurt or killed driving down that road going too fast or impaired.:eek:

She was 71 years old could have had a heart attack . I would not let this stop me from going.

From the local CBS station.

"Carol Olson, 71, was snorkeling through a third-party excursion operator, when she reportedly drowned in what witnesses describe as strong currents. Her husband, Harry, was snorkeling with her and survived."

Sounds like either a heart attack or exhaustion led to her drowning. Should you get stuck in strong currents, don't try to fight it, swim perpindicular to the tide until you're out of the strong current, then swim towards shore or your boat.

How about personal responsibilty. I have been on excursions where I have acessed the situation and allowed or not allowed my minor children to attempt. This post is in response to the news article and the response by Tricia. Why does someone always have to be at fault. If the water was rough I wouldn't let my 73 year old in laws out there. At that age trouble can come in lots of forms.

Archived