Diamonds in St. Thomas

dc&bc

:) My wife would like for me to purchase some diamond earrings for her and I was thinking that St. Thomas would be the place to do it. What are some good diamond vendors, for variety, value and service? What has been your experience? Is Barbados or Aruba a better place to buy diamond earrings? Thanks CCers.

St Thomas is this hemispheres capital for buying diamonds. More jewelry is purchased in a couple of islands in the caribbean than in the majority of the United States. The jewelry market is booming here. The best thing is that you will be able to view a large variety of diamonds and colored gemstones in all price ranges. Do your homework prior to your trip. Visit a couple of hometown jewelrs to see what they have to offer and at what prices. Contrary to what the port lecturers may lead you to believe, they arent "giving away diamonds at rock bottom prices" but you will get a good value for the money that you spend. Be an informed consumer and you will do just fine. Try to find the best quality that your budget can handle, dont be talked into spending more than your budget, but also don't expect the stores to give away diamaonds and gold for free.

The best parat of buying jewelry while on a cruise is the lasting memory you will have of a wonderful chapter of your life. It's an investment in a lifestyle.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

Thanks for the post...This thread is part of my "homework" before our cruise. The last cruise we took (10 years ago) we bought a ring in St. Thomas and one in Barbados. You are correct, we have had lasting memories with the jewelry we bought last time in the Southern Carribbean. Thanks for the web link also. Peace.

My husband has bought me several unique pieces of jewelry at H. Sterns on St Thomas. They have an "outlet" room upstairs for clearancing out pieces to make room for new items. H Sterns has locations worldwide and carries beautiful jewelry, some at very affordable prices.

Becki

I ditto Becki!

H.Stern is one of the most reputable jewelers in the world.

I benefitted from a visit there in December. They have two stores on the main street. They are across the street from each other. The heavily discounted jewelry is no longer upstairs. It is in a room at the back of the store. You can check out their current merchandise on line. I hate to admit it but my family is in the jewelry business and I buy at H. Sterns.

We had a great experience with Cardow Jewelers and purchased gorgeous yellow diamonds last year at Royal Caribbean Jewelers. The most impt. part is to have fun -- enjoy the experience. Don't expect to "hit the lottery" with a jewelry bargin, just make it a good time and make sure you get an appraisal and a receipt!!

Robin

got a solitaire reset with band with baguettes at Cardow's. Excellent price (not rock bottom, but very fair and better than in US), and great service. I had 1 tip that had broken the next day (it happens to every the best), and when I got home, I called them. THey said send it back for full refund--I liked it and wanted to keep it--they said I could have it fixed at my local jewler and they would send me a check--which they promptly did. (ps. THey offer 30 day refund for buyers remorse on all purchases as well.)

Everyone has their favorite store to buy at in St. Thomas, and I'm no different. We go to Grand Jewelers. Just a little place across the street and down a little from AH Riise. My wife has bought everything from diamond studs to diamond pendants there, and have ALWAYS been treated very well. The stuff we've bought has always been a good value relative to here as well, besides being unique compared to the cookie-cutter jewelry found in the states.

On a side note, they always give me free Heineken while she shops. I think this has cost me more than what the beer is worth from time to time...... :)

Second the Grand Jewelers recommendation - great stuff at great prices and they really take care of the customer's. Last cruise we steered a couple of fellow passengers there and they dropped several thousands - Grand set us all up for a very nice lunch at a great resturant on their tab.

And - the cold beer for the husbands is a nice touch !

fgtex - how much do I have to spend to get a free meal??? Maybe I shouldn't ask - and just stick with the free beer!

Although I have been warned - with the addition of our newborn daughter, I have two women to buy for in November when we return instead of one!

My husband bought me the most beautiful diamond anniversary ring at Diamonds International Watch & Design. The ring is beautiful and the price couldn't be beat. We paid half of what I thought it should cost. We worked with Edith - the manager there and she was great! We plan to buy more jewelry when we go back in May!

Agridealer - well my wife and I only got a few small items and spent less than $600 but we were with my brother-in-law and his wife and they spent significantly more - I won't reveal the amount but among the items was a diamond Rolex for her and

diamond and sapphire rings for both. They were also repeat customers and had shopped there before.

Also - as I mentioned we had a couple of fellow passengers with us who asked for a suggestion on where to buy some jewelry - turned out they were both quite well-to-do widow women and they spent many thousands. So - long answer to your question - Grand sprang for lunch for the 6 of us while they prepared the apprailsals, etc. My wife and I were only along for the ride !

We still get a Christmas card from Grand every year too !

• 2 weeks later...

I have always dealt with Mark at Celebrity Jewelers...right off the ship in Havensight Mall...I have purchased a couple of diamond and "gemstone" rings, a beautiful 7 1/2 carat diamond tennis bracelet and a watch for my husband which he had been eyeing each time we were back in Mark's store ( that was after the cruise and I just emailed Mark about the watch and had it in two days) awesome service and extremely reputable...Mark will also "quench" your thirst on a hot day..:D Good luck and have fun...I wear my diamonds every day and think about when we purchased each ring or bracelet and the fun times we had on those particular cruises...:)

• 1 year later...

Can you barter at these larger jewelry stores, or it that considered tacky? I am not much of a shopper, but want some diamond stud earrings and pearl earrings. I don't know how to go about it.

Thanks

Buyer beware. If you are going to buy something, buy something you like, at a price you feel is good. When it comes to precious, and most semi-precious stones, there are no "super bargains". Prices may be better than the store in your local shopping mall, but quality is sometimes less. If you are even thinking of buying something expensive, like diamonds, do your homework, and insist on a stone that is certified by GIA or AGS. There are many reputable, fairly priced diamond vendors on the internet where you can get a great stone at a great price.

Yes, many people have gotten beautiful jewelry while in a port, that they love and feel special about. But there are many who have made a purchase and when they got home and got the peice appraised become upset and dissapointer. (Espexialy if free Rum Punch or Beer was part of the buying process!)

Don't let the bright sunlight, nice sales people, and free rum punches convince you to purchase something you feel bad about later on.

If you need/want to get a great diamond education try www.goodoldgold.com or go to www.pricescope.com

one more vote here for Grand Jewelers. We have been doing business with them for years and have spent a lot of $$$ with them and have always been very pleased. I deal with Leena or Nevin-the owners. Beautiful jewelry, great prices, fantastic service.

tell them nancy from chicago sent you if you go!

happy shopping

nancy

I had a large loose diamond that I was looking for a setting for while on our cruise in Nov. for our 25th anniversary. We ended up purchasing a beautiful one at DIAMONDS INTERNATIONAL on Antigua...but they are everywhere !! My husband DEFINATELY did some bargaining on that one.... got it for almost 1/2 the asking price. He always offers them a ridiculous price first and works his way up....I have to walk away as I get embaressed at the offers he starts with.... but I do always get my "special souvenier" at a really good price. I agree you must do your homework and know what a "good price" is before you go. Also since the bargaining process took so long there was no time for us to have it set as we HAD to get back on the ship.... after our tour on Barbados the Diamonds Intl. store there set the stone for me so I could wear it to dinner at the Captains table that night..... they also have a money back policy and I will buy from them again - no problem.

My husband has bought me several unique pieces of jewelry at H. Sterns on St Thomas. They have an "outlet" room upstairs for clearancing out pieces to make room for new items. H Sterns has locations worldwide and carries beautiful jewelry, some at very affordable prices.

Becki

Do you have the website for H.Sterns Jewelers in St. Thomas?

Archived