Rum Point walking distance to starfish?

gottagocruisin

I have found that both Carnival and Nativeway offers excursions to Stingray & Rum Point. My question is, can you walk to the starfish area from Rum Point on the beach? Estimated distance? I did notice that Nativeway offers Starfish on another tour, but I'm not interested in diving down to pick them up. Any help would be appreciated.

Can you? Yes, theoretically it is possible to walk to the area everyone calls Starfish Beach from Rum Point Beach. (However, I'm basing this on people's descriptions of where the tours took them, since there isn't a place on the map named Starfish Beach.)

Take a look at the maps here:

http://www.caymanlandinfo.ky/Portals/0/ls_documents/atlas/gcindex.html

Rum Point is the point at the top of map 128.

Starfish Beach is the point at the left of map 105, labeled Ivory Kai.

Walking, it's about a half hour's walk...or thereabouts, depending on your personal walking speed.

In the winter, it's do-able. In the summer, early in the morning or in the evening pre-mosquito onset is probably do-able. In the heat of a July afternoon, I personally wouldn't try it. We tried to do half of that walk, from Finger Cay Road (the point in between those two areas on the map) to Rum Point, and it just about killed us. :eek: Hot. Stinkin' hot. Especially along the road. Off-roading along the water, it's a bit cooler, but the walk takes longer because it's not a straight (or easy) path.

However, if you spend the same amount of time looking in the cove on the opposite side of the street from Rum Point, or around Rum Point itself, you're likely to see starfish anyway...maybe not as many, but you'll likely see some without dying of heat prostration... :D

As mentioned, it is over a mile walking from the Rum Point Club to Ivory Kai Point and not advisable in heat. When you are at Rum point, look left when facing the water for a straight line of palm trees on a peninsula in the distance. That is Ivory Kai Point and you will understand why walking is not the best idea. Just walk along the beach in the direction of the point and you will most likely happen upon some Starfish or an occasion Sting Ray. I sometimes see more in that area than at "starfish" beach itself.

This is the first time cruising with our kids ages, 7, 8, and 14. Do you know of a jeep tour company that will allow a family of five in one vehicle, that goes to Rum Point? Carnival only allows 4 per vehicle. I have found boat tours that includes Stingray City, do you know of any that only go to North Side to the beaches?

Since it's our first time cruising with the kids, afraid of renting a car and going on our own. In port 8am-3pm. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

This is the first time cruising with our kids ages, 7, 8, and 14. Do you know of a jeep tour company that will allow a family of five in one vehicle, that goes to Rum Point? Carnival only allows 4 per vehicle. I have found boat tours that includes Stingray City, do you know of any that only go to North Side to the beaches?

Since it's our first time cruising with the kids, afraid of renting a car and going on our own. In port 8am-3pm. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

You can try McCurley Green and his wife Beth Ann, they have 6 passenger mini-vans, so even with a driver you should all fit.

McCurley’s Tours & Rental Cars (345-947-9626) – e-mail is Mccurley@candw.ky

mccurley%20card.jpg

Archived