Santorini: Oia to Fira on foot

BlueTropics

SIAP, but I thought I would start a new thread with a question if anybody has taken the walk from Oia to Fira. I think it is about 8 miles or so along the rim of the caldera. We have never been to Santorini so I was hoping to get some feedback on if there are places to stop and have a drink or eat lunch etc. and how long it would take to liesurely walk between the two. My wife and I like to hike and we know it will be hot (late June on the Ruby Princess).

We have all day and were hoping to go directly ti Oia and then do the walk in the morning while it still may be a little cooler and hit a beach later in the day.

I don't know what SIAP means, but I remember a thread a while back that had highly detailed info about the walk you're talking about. If I'm remembering correctly, there was even some sort of video. Anyway, lots of info on that trail on this board. (We visited Oia a few years ago-- incredibly handsome. Didn't enjoy Fira at all.)

Thanks for the replies. I read the thread linked above about the hike.

I wonder why, if people were concerned about getting a bus back to Fira, they did not take the bus to Oia and then hike to Fira rather than the other way around.

We are usually pretty well prepared with water and proper footwear on our hikes so I think we will get the bus to Oia and then walk back to Fira on the trail. Then we don't have to worry about getting back to Fira on a bus or taxi.

On our cruise we are in port until 9:00PM so there would be no problem with the time anyhow.

Thanks again.

We just did this hike in April, but did it from Fira to Oia. Hike took about 3 hours with stops for photos and chatting with fellow hikers, but we were walking fairly quickly. I would allow at least 4 hours for a slower walk. If starting from Oia, there are plenty of spots for food and drinks there where the bus drops you off. Once you leave Oia you will need to hike about 60 minutes and then you will run into a small road side stand. You can stock up on drinks and snacks there, but then it will be another 30 to 60 minutes before you hit the next town. From there on to Fira there are plenty of restaurants. Be aware that the closer you get to Fira the higher the prices are. Check menus before agreeing to a restaurant as I did not and the owner talked me into a cactus drink that cost 10 Euros and 2 women at the next table ended up paying 6 Euros each for a small coffee.

Taking the bus to Oia first is a good idea. When we completed the hike there were buses back to Fira but we were packed in like sardines.

Archived