walking from Fira to Imerovigli Santorini

happy_travellers

We have a 4-11pm stay in Santorini. Our thought is to walk from Fira to Imerovigli and then on the way back have dinner at a Caldera restaraunt like Vanilia or similiar.

I can not find a map showing the walking path. Is it easy to find the Caldera walking path? Is this doable or should we come up with a better idea. Since we are in port late we do not want to rent a car or take public bus to Oia.

Thanks for the help. Karen

We did exactly this walk on our visit in (very) early october last year. It's a very pleasant walk - we took perhaps 30 to 40 minutes over it, and we were going very, very gently, with frequent stops to take photos. We then found an open bar/cafe in Imerovigli, had a bottle of sparkling mineral water; and then walked back. It was very easy. Basically, when you reach the top of the cablecar (or the donkey track...) just turn left, and keep walking. There's one point where you hit the actual road, but there's a footpath leading off half-left immediately - take that.

We had a map. It's 'Road Editions Map 108', which I was able to buy in London. Road Editions are a major mapping company of tourist areas in Greece, and their Santorini map is excellent. Here's a link to the page on their website about this map.

Here's a blog entry I did for that day on that cruise, and here's a link to my Picasa page with pictures from that day & along the walk.

We did exactly this walk on our visit in (very) early october last year. It's a very pleasant walk - we took perhaps 30 to 40 minutes over it, and we were going very, very gently, with frequent stops to take photos. We then found an open bar/cafe in Imerovigli, had a bottle of sparkling mineral water; and then walked back. It was very easy. Basically, when you reach the top of the cablecar (or the donkey track...) just turn left, and keep walking. There's one point where you hit the actual road, but there's a footpath leading off half-left immediately - take that.

We had a map. It's 'Road Editions Map 108', which I was able to buy in London. Road Editions are a major mapping company of tourist areas in Greece, and their Santorini map is excellent. Here's a link to the page on their website about this map.

Here's a blog entry I did for that day on that cruise, and here's a link to my Picasa page with pictures from that day & along the walk.

Thanks for such helpful information! As usual your pictures are amazing! Thanks Karen

We have a 4-11pm stay in Santorini. Our thought is to walk from Fira to Imerovigli and then on the way back have dinner at a Caldera restaraunt like Vanilia or similiar.

I can not find a map showing the walking path. Is it easy to find the Caldera walking path? Is this doable or should we come up with a better idea. Since we are in port late we do not want to rent a car or take public bus to Oia.

Thanks for the help. Karen

The path from Fira to Imerovigliis well marked and very gentle- left turn when you leave the cable car.

However, just is case others are wondering, we actually did the entire walk from Fira to Oia last summer. The walk from Imerovigli to Oia is not nearly as well marked and the terrain is slippery if you don't wear the right shoes. We went in May so it was not too hot, but I can not imagine the heat in later summer. Be sure to take plenty of water if anyone undertakes this.

I included the above statement b/c the walk is so easy and gorgeous to Imerovigli, that folks might think the path further to Oia remains the same. It is an absolutely gorgeous breathtaking walk to Oia, but is somewhat more strenuous than just to Imerogovil.

We are there in May and thinking of the hike. Could you tell me how long it took to go the whole way? We thought we would hike to Olia and take the bus back. Is that what you did?

It took a good 3 hours- but we stopped for lots of photo taking. We did take the bus back after enjoying Oia. We enjoy walking- but being from Florida it is always flat here. You should have an adventuresome spirit to undertake this, otherwise just walk to Imerovigli and catch the bus the rest of the way to Oia.

I just want to stress that the walk to Imerovigli from Fira is easy, but the path is not well marked after that. We went on virtual tourist and asked an expert from the area and had various landmarks to keep us on track(usually little churches).The volcanic gravel is slippery and it would have been better if I had not just been in tennis shoes- it can get slippery. fortunately we knew to take plenty of water.

We did the walk first b/c we did not know how long it would take us-- it really can vary. I did not want to get lost on the way back and miss the boat--even though it would be a wonderful place to be stuck in-- I am glad we did the walk Fira to Oia rather than Oia to Fira.

Also check when other ships are departing as you might need to allow plenty of time to take the cable car down if there are many big ships leaving at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
It took a good 3 hours- but we stopped for lots of photo taking. We did take the bus back after enjoying Oia. We enjoy walking- but being from Florida it is always flat here. You should have an adventuresome spirit to undertake this, otherwise just walk to Imerovigli and catch the bus the rest of the way to Oia.

I just want to stress that the walk to Imerovigli from Fira is easy, but the path is not well marked after that. We went on virtual tourist and asked an expert from the area and had various landmarks to keep us on track(usually little churches).The volcanic gravel is slippery and it would have been better if I had not just been in tennis shoes- it can get slippery. fortunately we knew to take plenty of water.

We did the walk first b/c we did not know how long it would take us-- it really can vary. I did not want to get lost on the way back and miss the boat--even though it would be a wonderful place to be stuck in-- I am glad we did the walk Fira to Oia rather than Oia to Fira.

Also check when other ships are departing as you might need to allow plenty of time to take the cable car down if there are many big ships leaving at the same time.

I have made reservations for dinner in Firostefani so we will enjoy our walk and then have dinner with a "VIEW". Take care, Karen

Archived