Fuel Surcharge being reinstated???

Just got an email from my TA saying this:

IMPORTANT! - ALL MAJOR CRUISE LINES WILL BE INSTITUTING FUEL SURCHARGES OF UP TO $12 PP PER DAY EFFECTIVE ON OR AROUND MON 5/10/10 DUE TO THE INCREASE IN OIL PRICES (GULF OF MEXICO OIL SPILL). IF YOU ARE CONTEMPLATING BOOKING A CRUISE, PLEASE DO SO THIS WEEK OR WEEKEND TO AVOID THESE FEES!!! (note existing deposited or paid in full bookings are NOT subject to these new surcharges - only new bookings made 5/10/10 or after)

Anyone else heard anything about this?

I call B.S.

The amount of oil being spilled is have a minuscule affect on the available supply (despite the catastrophic damage).

Besides if all major cruise lines reinstated the fuel surcharge at the exact same time I would hope the FTC would be all over their collective azzes in a second.

Cunard and P&O are instituting a $3.95 per day on new bookings only sometime in the near future. Neither is a major cruiseline, nor is 3.95 close to $12.

Two lines have added it (per another thread yesterday? P&O and Cunard I belive on those dates). So, not all but two are adding it.

I hope you fire that TA, I would never trust someone who gives out false info to scare people into booking. what else can't she be trusted about?

Two lines have added it (per another thread yesterday? P&O and Cunard I belive on those dates). So, not all but two are adding it.

I hope you fire that TA, I would never trust someone who gives out false info to scare people into booking. what else can't she be trusted about?

3..Fred Olsen was the first. Doubt any MAJOR players will follow suit.

3..Fred Olsen was the first. Doubt any MAJOR players will follow suit.

boy, I hope not. I dont want to give them any ideas. The two Carnival sub lines are giving folks time to book before it goes into effect. I NEED Galveston and Magic to come out before this happens.

boy, I hope not. I dont want to give them any ideas. The two Carnival sub lines are giving folks time to book before it goes into effect. I NEED Galveston and Magic to come out before this happens.

Strangely enough, the two "British" lines. I wonder if this is a UK thing.

I would wait until after May 10th before you fire her. We have seen carnival and other cruiselines lie through there teeth about fuel charges. :cool:

I thought it was based on the price per barrel,and I don't remember what the price was ,where they would raise it..

But wasn't oil at 55 yesterday....that's pretty low relatively speaking..

I would wait until after May 10th before you fire her. We have seen carnival and other cruiselines lie through there teeth about fuel charges. :cool:

I'm not going to fire her...she could have been given some wrong information as well....we'll see....

IMPORTANT! - ALL MAJOR CRUISE LINES WILL BE INSTITUTING FUEL SURCHARGES OF UP TO $12 PP PER DAY EFFECTIVE ON OR AROUND MON 5/10/10 DUE TO THE INCREASE IN OIL PRICES (GULF OF MEXICO OIL SPILL). IF YOU ARE CONTEMPLATING BOOKING A CRUISE, PLEASE DO SO THIS WEEK OR WEEKEND TO AVOID THESE FEES!!! (note existing deposited or paid in full bookings are NOT subject to these new surcharges - only new bookings made 5/10/10 or after)

I actually asked a pvp about that 2 days ago. She said Carnival just came out with a statement saying they will not reinstate fuel surcharges:)

I actually asked a pvp about that 2 days ago. She said Carnival just came out with a statement saying they will not reinstate fuel surcharges:)

PVP said the same to me about two weeks ago when booking. Said she had to read me the disclaimer about them having the right to re-instate it but said they had gotten a memo that there were no immediate plans to do so.

I thought it was based on the price per barrel,and I don't remember what the price was ,where they would raise it..

But wasn't oil at 55 yesterday....that's pretty low relatively speaking..

More like 85. It is currently 80.

they said this during the earnings broadcast. Thats probably when you remember it last?? They said it a couple of times now, ..not at this time etc.

I call B.S.

The amount of oil being spilled is have a minuscule affect on the available supply (despite the catastrophic damage).

Besides if all major cruise lines reinstated the fuel surcharge at the exact same time I would hope the FTC would be all over their collective azzes in a second.

Cunard and P&O are instituting a $3.95 per day on new bookings only sometime in the near future. Neither is a major cruiseline, nor is 3.95 close to $12.

I agree... BS...

This is from the Quarterly Meeting of a few weeks ago...

Transcribed from the Shareholder’s meeting Q&A

‘We reserve the right to re-instate the basic fuel charge… surcharge but uhhh… ummm… at this point we have no present intention to re-instate it.’

The price of oil has been virtually stable since that date...

Thats a mistake right there. All bookings would be affected as all the major lines have it in your contract that they can charge you at anytime after oil hits a price mark. Sounds like a scare tactic to me.

Thats a mistake right there. All bookings would be affected as all the major lines have it in your contract that they can charge you at anytime after oil hits a price mark. Sounds like a scare tactic to me.

Good catch and very well done (pun not intended). You could have bought the cruise months ago and the fuel surcharge, if implemented, would have still applied to you.

Good catch and very well done (pun not intended). You could have bought the cruise months ago and the fuel surcharge, if implemented, would have still applied to you.

Actually with this current surcharge, past bookings werent affected. Could be different with if other lines start.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=90970.blog

Cunard Line and U.K.-based P&O Cruises said today that they are implementing fuel supplements of $3.85 per person per day.The supplements will apply to passengers on all cruises booked on or after May 10 that depart on or after November 1.

Archived