Lobster?

tjebme

I hear that you can call room service on any night, and order off the menu as long as it's during normal dinner hours, although we've never actually tried this. We did notice that lobster was not on the buffet menu on formal night, so that won;t work. It's also one of the choices at Sabatini's every night, although the dress code still applies there on formal night. We are just off the Diamond and we didn't see anyone in the DRs on the formal nights who wasn't dressed up, although I'm sure you'll get some replies that say just go the DRs no matter what you feel like wearing (that's a topic for another thread that has been beaten into the ground by this time!)

I hear that you can call room service on any night, and order off the menu as long as it's during normal dinner hours, although we've never actually tried this. We did notice that lobster was not on the buffet menu on formal night, so that won;t work. It's also one of the choices at Sabatini's every night, although the dress code still applies there on formal night. We are just off the Diamond and we didn't see anyone in the DRs on the formal nights who wasn't dressed up, although I'm sure you'll get some replies that say just go the DRs no matter what you feel like wearing (that's a topic for another thread that has been beaten into the ground by this time!)

I get the feeling that this something they're trying to get away from. We tried to call room service and have them send a menu to our cabin. Initially we were told no, that was just for guests with Suite level accomodations (we had a standard balcony) . When pressed for more information I was put on hold. When the guy I was talking to came back he said that they didnt do that anymore but that they would make an exception and send me a menu.

Not wanting to be taking advantage of the system I told him to forget it and was fine with that. If it was a thing they do that we could have done I'd have given it a try. I just don't like to take advantage of things like that but that's just me.

I've heard of other people that bet on how many lobster tails* they can possibly eat at dinner....and then I think of those tsunami victims and try to avoid people like that.

* last I heard 26 was the record as I remember

If you are going on the Caribbean Princess, lobster was served in Cafe Carib for the gala seafood buffet. We didn't dine there but heard that the spread was elaborate and plentiful. You do not have to dress up to eat in Cafe Carib, but tables are set with linens and stemware. As it is buffet service, you can probably eat as much lobster as you want!

With so many dining options, Princess may be trying to keep room service selections to a minimum. In the past, for example, our stateroom steward would encourage us to "write-in" hot breakfast items even though they didn't appear on the Continental breakfast menu. Not so on CP: Only items on the stateroom breakfast could be ordered. We enjoyed Continental balcony breakfast on days at sea, but went to the dining room when we wanted something more substantial prior to shore excursions.

There is also an "Ultimate Balcony Dinner" ($50 per person) that offers lobster and/or beef tenderloin, or both. You don't have to dress formally for this and receive personalized stateroom service; professional photos are included in the package.

I'm not a lobster fan, but the twin lobster tails served in the dining room on the second formal night (it was my birthday) were to die for - and dress up for, too.

Chris

I've heard of other people that bet on how many lobster tails* they can possibly eat at dinner....and then I think of those tsunami victims and try to avoid people like that.

* last I heard 26 was the record as I remember

No biggie.. Lobster is only expensive in the US.. In most of the Caribbean Islands, it is dirt cheap..

Try this link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=97940. Sheebah talks about ordering dinner from the DR menu from room service on the last night of her cruise (see #23). As I said, I've never actually tried this myself----The latest I heard was that they don;t want to send you up a menu but will bring whatever food you order if you have looked at the menu ahead of time. Of course, things are changing all the time--- and this does diminish the rationale for the Ultimate Balcony Dinner!

and this does diminish the rationale for the Ultimate Balcony Dinner!

Caribbean Princess passengers can enjoy The Ultimate Balcony Dinner

from

http://www.seaview.co.uk/cruiselines/princesscruises/caribbeanprincess.html

delicate sweet Caribbean lobster tail

from

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na658

Yes, on the 1/15 grand, we were able to order from the dining room menu into our cabin (we were in an inside, nothing special there) they didn't even comment - we ordered 3 additional dishes of lobster to the room right before the dining room closed (we **may** have alreaedy eaten in the dining room....)

it was great!

No biggie.. Lobster is only expensive in the US.. In most of the Caribbean Islands, it is dirt cheap..

Last year on the Dawn Princess the maitred told me that all of the Princess cruise food comes from the United States. It is air freighted in to all cruises everywhere in the world. The U.S. has the strictest regulations and Princess can not take any chances with the safety of the food.

Last year on the Dawn Princess the maitred told me that all of the Princess cruise food comes from the United States. It is air freighted in to all cruises everywhere in the world. The U.S. has the strictest regulations and Princess can not take any chances with the safety of the food.

Might be shipped from the US, but not necessarily "come" from the US.. :)

It's imteresting that we live on the east coast of the US, right on the ocean, and we have always loved Princess lobster. I don't know how they do it, but it's always been superior to the lobster on other cruise lines--

Having never been on a cruise where lobster is served - I have to ask - does Princess serve whole "Maine" (as in cold water, I know that lobster comes from other places in New England) lobsters or warm water lobster tails? And if they are cold water lobsters, do you get the whole lobster or just the tail??

I apologize in advance if this is a silly question!

Alice

Having never been on a cruise where lobster is served - I have to ask - does Princess serve whole "Maine" (as in cold water, I know that lobster comes from other places in New England) lobsters or warm water lobster tails? And if they are cold water lobsters, do you get the whole lobster or just the tail??

I apologize in advance if this is a silly question!

Alice

Twin lobster tails.

I believe they are cold water tails. But put is in hot water. (I'm confused)

Or were the hot water tails put in warm water?

If I were a lobster I would highTAIL it out of "Maine"

There are no Silly questions just silly answers.

Twin lobster tails.

I believe they are cold water tails. But put is in hot water. (I'm confused)

Or were the hot water tails put in warm water?

If I were a lobster I would highTAIL it out of "Maine"

There are no Silly questions just silly answers.

And Derf, I totally enjoyed your answer!!

But if they just serve the tails, what are they doing with all of the rest of that lobster meat:eek: ?!?!? Being from New England, I am a firm believer in not wasting any (edible) part of a lobster. If I ask real nice, do you think they'll give me the meat from the rest of the lobster:D ? I'd take if off their hands at no cost to Princess:D !

Alice

Archived