Lobster?

tjebme

And Derf, I totally enjoyed your answer!!

But if they just serve the tails, what are they doing with all of the rest of that lobster meat:eek: ?!?!? Being from New England, I am a firm believer in not wasting any (edible) part of a lobster. If I ask real nice, do you think they'll give me the meat from the rest of the lobster:D ? I'd take if off their hands at no cost to Princess:D !Alice

1. I believe they are bought by Princess that way

2. As you probably don't know I work for a public radio station WHYY in Philadephia and we do a food show with Jim Coleman. On Friday I will ask him what do they do with the rest of the story.

3. I forgot to mention that the twin tails were from the same parents.

4. I grew up in Laconia, NH and Rutland,VT.

1. I believe they are bought by Princess that way

2. As you probably don't know I work for a public radio station WHYY in Philadephia and we do a food show with Jim Coleman. On Friday I will ask him what do they do with the rest of the story.

3. I forgot to mention that the twin tails were from the same parents.

4. I grew up in Laconia, NH and Rutland,VT.

1. So the rest ends up as lobster chowder most likely

2. I'd be interested to know

3. A truly scary thought

4. Orginally from Mass, currently part-year Maine, part-year VA. Almost wish I was still in Mass for the blizzard - how 'bout you?

Have a great day!!

Alice

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the food distribution business, on our Coral cruise in Nov. We had North Atlantic Lobster (Maine-Type) 3 nights in 3 different preparations & 1 night it was a rock (Warm Water) lobster. They buy frozen tails from Canada. It is illegal in Maine to sell what the State of Maine calls a mutilated lobster (Tail). On the formal night prep (just tails) my dad asked the waiter if it was Maine lobster, he replied "No". So my dad didn't order it, when our meals came and he saw that they were Maine, he told the waiter that they were, he replied "No, I believe they are from Canada" Same difference, so my dad only ate 6 tails that night. BTW the shell-on tails are frozen raw, you can also buy (which is much more popular with restaurants) pre cooked lobster meat it comes: Tails Only, Tail & Claw, Tail Knuckle & Claw, Knuckle & Claw, Knuckle Claw & Leg, Broken. Most expensive to least. Too much info, Right.:)

Harvey

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the food distribution business, on our Coral cruise in Nov. We had North Atlantic Lobster (Maine-Type) 3 nights in 3 different preparations & 1 night it was a rock (Warm Water) lobster. They buy frozen tails from Canada. It is illegal in Maine to sell what the State of Maine calls a mutilated lobster (Tail). On the formal night prep (just tails) my dad asked the waiter if it was Maine lobster, he replied "No". So my dad didn't order it, when our meals came and he saw that they were Maine, he told the waiter that they were, he replied "No, I believe they are from Canada" Same difference, so my dad only ate 6 tails that night. BTW the shell-on tails are frozen raw, you can also buy (which is much more popular with restaurants) pre cooked lobster meat it comes: Tails Only, Tail & Claw, Tail Knuckle & Claw, Knuckle & Claw, Knuckle Claw & Leg, Broken. Most expensive to least. Too much info, Right.:)

Harvey

Harvey:

Thanks for the info! I enjoy both types of lobster, but was perplexed at why they would only serve the tail of a Maine lobster (when it all is so good!). I'd never thought about it, but I have never seen just lobster tails sold in Maine - I always assumed that the demand was for full lobsters. Cool to know.

Happy dining!!

Alice

Archived