Vegetarians in the Pinnacle

A little off topic, but related, my sister owns an Italian restaurant, and makes her own bread and pasta. Half the world is now allergic to gluten :D , and people are constantly asking her why she doesn't have gluten free menu items. Short of serving them a salad with some grilled chix or shrimp on it, what do they want her to do? Try making Italian bread or pasta without gluten.

Roz

A little off topic, but related, my sister owns an Italian restaurant, and makes her own bread and pasta. Half the world is now allergic to gluten :D , and people are constantly asking her why she doesn't have gluten free menu items. Short of serving them a salad with some grilled chix or shrimp on it, what do they want her to do? Try making Italian bread or pasta without gluten.

Roz

You'd be surprised!! I have seen gluten-free bread mixes and pastas at my local grocery store. I won't recommend them very strange after-taste!!!! I had an uncle with celliac disease stay with me for a couple of weeks last fall. I was lucky that there is an aisle dedicated to gluten-free items at the store. Otherwise I would have been completely lost! I was amazed by how many things that you wouldn't think had gluten (salsa and taco meat seasoning, for instance) actually do.

A gluten free mix wouldn't result in the quality of bread and pasta my sister wants her restaurant to be know for. But yes, it can be done.

Roz

If gluten-free people are surprised at the lack of a gluten-free pasta option, that probably means they're able to get it somewhere. I know I read one review (I think for Celebrity) where the pizza chef agreed to make the reviewer a gluten-free pizza. She said it didn't taste very good, but she appreciated the effort.

Archived