Kona snorkeling advice

debr

Joyce, can you tell me where you got your info on Shogun snorkeling? We are going in Sept and would like to snorkel one day in Kona. I am looking for info on snorkeling tours.

Thank you.

Mary

We rented a car at Kona drove down Ali dr. along the coast to Snorkle Bob's and rented gear. We traveled alittle farther south along the coast to a public swimming area where the family enjoyed seeing many fish and turtles in a calm area for those who perfer shallow water to the deep water of the excursion boats. Food and retrooms were available here also. Our teens loved it too! We returned our gear at a Snok. Bob's on Maui a week later after using it on other island stops.

Renting the car also gave us a chance to explore the area as we pleased. Well worth it!

We took the Body Glove Snorkel cruise and were sorely disappointed. Even at half price with an entertainment coupon, it was not worth it. Don't know about the Four Winds, but stay away from Body Glove.

On Maui, we loved the Fairwinds Molokini snorkel and snuba.

Tom

Bankofdad, thanks for the review. We're leaving on March 20, will be in Kona on the 26th. Nothing like planning in advance!! Ginger, are there ever any coupons available for the Fairwind snorkeling trip? As a local, you should know...I found Barefoot Hawaii, which does offer about an $8 pp discount. Do you have any recommendations? Thank you so much, Dobie

One more question, Ginger and bankofdad, is there an "inside" to the boat or a covered area? I've had a melanoma and avoid the sun as much as possible, so when I'm not slathered in sunscreen or in the water I'd like to be under a cover, is that possible?? Thank you so much!!

Hi, sorry it took me so long to reply. Haven't checked in here. Been busy with the Europe:) thread as that as we are heading next.

I haven't seen any coupons for Fairwind but I will check for you. As bankofdad(love that name) says there is lots of cover with seating on the bottom deck of the boat. You will love Fairwind! I have been hundreds of times and never had a bad trip!

Enjoy,

Ginger

We spent a week on the BI in Kona last year. We took a Zodiac snorkeling trip and it was fabulous. Not only did we go to Kealakekua Bay, but we also made a stop at Pahoehoe, where there were lots of turtles. We also saw some sea caves, which was cool.

For a beach snorkel, Kahaluu Beach (about 15 min. outside Kona) is the best, and there is a huge variety of fish and lots of turtles there. However, you will have to find your own transportation to/from there. You might look into the Ali'i Shuttle for this.

Becki

Becki,

Can you tell me where I can find information about the Ali'i Shuttle?

We will be on the Norwegian Wind 5/21 sailing and we are trying to line up what trips we are going to do at each port.

We are "Free Divers" and carry our own gear and we like to book tours off the ship.

Shay

Shay,

Here is the phone number for the Ali'i Shuttle as well as some other shuttle services:

Public Bus/Shuttle:

King's Shops Holoholo Shuttle 886-8811

Keauhou Shuttle 324-1621

Hele-On The Bus 961-8744

Alii Shuttle 775-7121

The Ali'i shuttle runs along Ali'i Dr, which runs the length of the waterfront from downtown Kailua-Kona to Keauhou. The beach next to the Keauhou Beach Resort is Kahalu'u Beach, which is great for snorkeling or diving. The shuttle costs $2 pp each way, but I am not sure about the frequency of the trips or specific stops. Hopefully if you call, they can help you with your planning.

Have a great trip!

Becki

We did book the Fairwind. My only problem is that the Island Princess is scheduled to arrive at 8, and the tour is at 9. We need to be on the first tender off (we do have priority tender tickets, so we should be able to do that), and then get a taxi. We've been told that we could reserve a taxi ahead of time....anybody know who I should call? Thank you so much!!

I just talked with Fairwind and she said the boat leaves at 9:00. You need to be checked in at 8:45 so if you are the first ones off and have a taxi waiting you could make it. She also said they don't discount the morning cruise. :(

Ginger

image.gif.6afd68bd29a0d667bf61973d93c77f59.gif

• 2 weeks later...

There were 6 of us and all enjoyed the trip alot. We got to deep sea fish (even caught a blue marlin, but lost it)....snorkeled, saw whales, and even swam with a pod of wild dolphis. It was a fantastic day. Ray went snorkeling with us and pointed out the many different types of fish and corals.

Archived