Guarantee Booking - Chances for upgrade?

Debbierpof

My TA advised that you have a better chance of an upgrade if you book a guarantee.

Just booked a JJ inside on Diamond for the 4 Sep southbound from Whittier and suggested that I stick with it rather than selecting a specific cabin.

Ciao for now!!!

Okay, so my SIL & BIL have finally gotten their cabin assignment. They were guarantee, category L and are now cat I (R204 -- right at the bow, deck 14):eek:. Is it possible for them to ask Princess to change them to a guarantee in a different type, say obstructed oceanview? Would they be able to go with the lowest category for obstructed even though at this time only guarantee is available? I think the price difference is $50 per person. Is it worth the $ to have an obstructed oceanview? I know that's their call (I would, just to have the natural light). Are those rooms any bigger than an interior stateroom? All the obstructed rooms left seem to be on the Emerald deck and fully obstructed.

Sorry for the lengthy questions... But thanks for all your advice!!! :D

Okay, so my SIL & BIL have finally gotten their cabin assignment. They were guarantee, category L and are now cat I (R204 -- right at the bow, deck 14):eek:. Is it possible for them to ask Princess to change them to a guarantee in a different type, say obstructed oceanview? Would they be able to go with the lowest category for obstructed even though at this time only guarantee is available? I think the price difference is $50 per person. Is it worth the $ to have an obstructed oceanview? I know that's their call (I would, just to have the natural light). Are those rooms any bigger than an interior stateroom? All the obstructed rooms left seem to be on the Emerald deck and fully obstructed.

The ocean view cabins will be the same size as the inside cabins.

You can always ask to pay for a higher category (as long as it is not waitlisted), but do not assume that the price difference will be based on other than the original category booked (L) vs the current price for an obstructed cabin which is likely more than $50 per person.

Booking a GTY means that you expect to be happy with any cabin assigned that is in that category or higher.

You can never count on an upgrade, let alone to the next class of stateroom or above. Can it happen? Sure it can, but it is always best to book at least the type of cabin you will be happy with and not count on an upgrade (to avoid disappointment). If they really want at least an outside cabin, I would say book it now while they still have locations to choose from, if they wait, you never know if there might not been any available down the road.

They could still leave their booking marked for an upgrade should one come along, and then cross their fingers. But if they don't want an inside cabin, I would say pay to upgrade now, just to be sure. Enjoy!

ToTo

FWIW, I just booked a BF guarantee on the Grand. As far as I can see there is only 4 BF cabins on the entire ship. Princess and all TAs are still selling BF Guarantee. Seems there would have to be some upgrades.

Bill

ToTo

FWIW, I just booked a BF guarantee on the Grand. As far as I can see there is only 4 BF cabins on the entire ship. Princess and all TAs are still selling BF Guarantee. Seems there would have to be some upgrades.

Bill

Bill, yes, booking a BF will probably get you a higher balcony cabin. But to be upgraded to a higher type of cabin (say a mini suite) happens, but rarely. It kind of depends on what you consider an upgrade. To me there is a big difference in being upgraded to another balcony cabin, same layout, just in a different section of the ship, compared to an upgrade to a different class of cabin then you actually booked (a true upgrade). It all depends on how you look at what an upgrade really is. Good Luck though, I would guess you will receive a much higher balcony type stateroom assignment. ;)

Maybe I'm strange but I like to pick room an check no upgrades. I'm picky on locations that might be noisy or too far from somewhere. I look what's above, below me and around me. :D I'm always satisfied because it's my own fault if I pick wrong. Now if someone else was to pick and it was noisy I would not be happy.
Same here. You're not at all unusual. I'm not that picky but there are some locations I absolutely do not want: next to or across the hall from the service elevators, the bow of the ship, beneath an outside public deck of any kind, fully exposed balcony, etc. I've had all of those and in some cases, they've negatively, and substantially so, affected my cruise.

Same here. You're not at all unusual. I'm not that picky but there are some locations I absolutely do not want: next to or across the hall from the service elevators, the bow of the ship, beneath an outside public deck of any kind, fully exposed balcony, etc. I've had all of those and in some cases, they've negatively, and substantially so, affected my cruise.

Pam - what could I share with my SIL & BIL about why the bow of the ship is a negative? To top it off, they are deck 14, first room at the bow! :eek: Thanks!

I'd wait until the cabin was assigned. We just had a very unexpected visit from the upgrade fairy on both our cabins- one from inside guarantee to top balcony and the other from least minisuite to best. Bought on Monday, upgraded on Tuesday. Life sometimes brings unexpected pleasures but certainly one should not count on this.

Are you booking directly through the cruise line for a chance of an upgrade or with an outside source? I am new to cruising and would like to know how this works. I see that on Orbitz site you can reserve a guaranteed stateroom that says it has a chance to upgrade. IF you get upgraded is it only within that class of rooms? For example, if you book inside room will you only get upgraded to another inside room? Sorry, lot of questions, but just want to get the most for my money! Thanks

We didn't jump categories, we stayed within mini-suite. In addition, the day before I got my cabin assignment, there were cabins available in just about all categories, the next day when we got ours, they all showed waitlist only and it's been that way since then. My point is that by the time they get their assignment, it will be too late to change. I'd tell them if it's important to them, they should pay for the ocean view and not wait. If it's not, then wait and see what the roll of the dice gets them. Happy Sailing!

I told them to go ahead and change... they said they were fine... but then they want to know how to change... :rolleyes: Go figure! I've got my room assignment and I'm THRILLED with my room! But my DH and I did go with our category and specific room assignment. :D I can't believe I still have 65 days to go.....

Bill, yes, booking a BF will probably get you a higher balcony cabin. But to be upgraded to a higher type of cabin (say a mini suite) happens, but rarely. It kind of depends on what you consider an upgrade. To me there is a big difference in being upgraded to another balcony cabin, same layout, just in a different section of the ship, compared to an upgrade to a different class of cabin then you actually booked (a true upgrade). It all depends on how you look at what an upgrade really is. Good Luck though, I would guess you will receive a much higher balcony type stateroom assignment. ;)

Yeah, I got you. I only wanted a balcony and and not particular. If lucky and get a higher category balcony it will save me a little money, maybe $200. Strange though category BA is a $1000 more than BF and also BA is priced higher than mini-suites categories AE through AB

I booked a D Guaranty. (However, I believe I paid for an E and the promotion at that time was that you would get a D Guaranty). I booked in February for a May cruise. I originally was supposed to be on the Plaza deck, starboard near the bow. I figured with the Guaranty I will probably get moved to a better location.

I finally got my cabin assignment yesterday and I was upgraded to a balcony on the Baja deck mid-ship! The upgrade fairy visited indeed.

Yeah, I got you. I only wanted a balcony and and not particular. If lucky and get a higher category balcony it will save me a little money, maybe $200. Strange though category BA is a $1000 more than BF and also BA is priced higher than mini-suites categories AE through AB

I have seen many cruises where certain balcony cabins are priced higher than certain mini suites. I think it is more of a supply and demand thing. But I know it really does look strange on the Princess website to see this happen.

As long as you don't care where your balcony cabin is located, booking the lowest guarantee balcony cabin price is the best way to go to save $$$$. Good Luck, I hope you draw a good location. ;)

We recently sailed on the Caribbean Princess. We booked a Category M Inside and we were upgraded to an Obstructed Oceanview on Emerald about a week before the cruise. Two days before we left we were upgraded again to a Category BA Balcony on the Caribe deck.

Pricing weirdness - balcony less expensive than inside for example:

I have seen this too but when you click to reserve (pretend you are booking), it shows all categories within that type as waitlist only. I don't know why pricing within their system does that. It looks available just more expensive within their system. Weirdness.

I told them to go ahead and change... they said they were fine... but then they want to know how to change... :rolleyes: Go figure! I've got my room assignment and I'm THRILLED with my room! But my DH and I did go with our category and specific room assignment. :D I can't believe I still have 65 days to go.....

To change they need to contact Princess if they booked directly thru the cruiseline or contact their TA if they booked that way. Happy Sailing!

Are you booking directly through the cruise line for a chance of an upgrade or with an outside source? I am new to cruising and would like to know how this works. I see that on Orbitz site you can reserve a guaranteed stateroom that says it has a chance to upgrade. IF you get upgraded is it only within that class of rooms? For example, if you book inside room will you only get upgraded to another inside room? Sorry, lot of questions, but just want to get the most for my money! Thanks

Upgrade possibilities have nothing to do with who you book with (CL, TA, etc). GTY bookings are available thru both ways. Some feel there is more possibility to be upgraded if you book GTY. But remember, you don't get a choice of location so you could end up first cabin from the bow, like the relatives of the OP. Happy Sailing!

I am new to cruising and would like to know how this works. I see that on Orbitz site you can reserve a guaranteed stateroom that says it has a chance to upgrade. IF you get upgraded is it only within that class of rooms? For example, if you book inside room will you only get upgraded to another inside room?

You and probably 90% of the other people on the ship would like a complimentary upgrade, so although there is a "chance to upgrade", it will not happen for many (if not most) of the passengers. The other 10% (a guess, not a known fact) will have marked their reservations "no upgrade."

An upgrade will occur for several reasons, none of which are predictable, including:

a) More GTYs have been booked in a category than cabins are available

b) There is a demand for a cabin you have been assigned, but not for a cabin in a higher category.

An upgrade can occur if you booked a specific cabin (and did not mark it "no upgrade") or if you booked a GTY.

When an upgrade does occur, it is more likely to be in the same type of cabin (inside to inside, balcony to balcony) than between types (inside to outside, balcony to mini-suite).

The important thing in booking a GTY is that you will be happy in any cabin in the category you booked or any cabin in a higher category.

• 2 weeks later...

Toto

I just got my cabin assignment. I was assigned Category BA in very midship on Caribe deck. The price of that category is $1000 per person more than I paid for my BF Guarantee. Sure, it is still a balcony cabin, but it is one of the best balcony cabins. Midship on Caribe Deck(bigger balconies).

So I consider this a pretty good upgrade.

Bill :):)

Archived