Please give me your "Last Minute Tips" Before Monday's Cruise

gemgal79

I am all set to sail away on Monday with the Norwegian Sky. Tickets booked, suitcase (Half) packed, super giddy mood has arrived. :)

Since this is my first cruise EVER what are your last minute tips for me?

I have enjoyed these boards so much I plan on writing a very detailed (Translation: Long and Boring to most) review when I return.

Pack a highlighter for the dailies. Read it once and highlight what you might want to do. Then you won't have to reread and reread it all day. Just look at what you highlighted and you will be on your way to fun, fun, fun.

Have a great cruise.

Enjoy,

Jeanne

We take all the extra 'stuff' out of our wallets and leave it at home to make our wallets lighter.

If you have 2 credit cards, each of you carry ONE, a different one for each person so that if one is lost/stolen you still have another one to use

Make sure you have a carry-on since on the last night on the ship you will have to put your suitcases outside the door so you'll need a carryon to put your night-things and toiletries in. (Make sure you save clothes to wear the next day).

Make a check-off list for those last minute to do items at home, such as:

PASSPORTS, TICKETS, etc

HOUSE KEY

wallet, extra cash

unplug coffee pot, toaster, etc

close windows

?? change announcement on phone

lock doors

etc

Have a WONDERFUL time!!

It depends on which cabin you have. If you have a balcony and want to keep the door open I would take a C-clamp to put on the track to keep it open.

As to the carry on pack a change of clothes and a swim suit. We did this on or last cruise and went to the pool while waiting on the rooms to be ready.

First, congratulations on your first cruise. The Sky is a perfect first cruise. I am happy you are taking the 4 night instead of the 3 night. That extra day on board makes a big difference. I was on this exact cruise in January. Here are my last minute tips.

I live only a few miles from the port of Miami and our summer is here. The sun is very powerful so make sure you bring lots of powerful sunscreen.

I dont know your budget but I would highly suggest one night to eat at Cagneys. It costs $25 extra but definately worth it. Most wait for the last night of the cruise for their nice meal but to avoid the crowds you can do it earlier. The buffet is fine but I always prefer the sit down meals at Crossings restaurant.

Have you planned your shore excurisions? I dont know if you are an active person but the bikeride in Freeport is lots of fun.

Dont let the nickel and dime philosophy get to you. Just have fun and remember that cruise lines need to make money to stay afloat.

Also remember that BINGO is for fun. No one wins the BIG jackpot but once every so many years. The prizes won are minimal and it is only a game. I only mention this because it seems so many passengers complain about BINGO. You will be asked to have your picture taken many times. Remember that they will try and sell you these photos later. You dont have to buy the pictures.

One thing about this cruise, it can be very active it you like that. Each day the ship is in a different port. If you are not an active traveler, then just relax. Get your daily ship newspaper and plan your day each morning. If you dont have your excursions booked now, I would suggest that when you get on board. If you wait too long, some sell out.

Bring your own personal snorkel gear and goggles to Great Stirrup Cay. You can get them for $10 at Wal Mart. NCL charges $30 each to rent them. Even if you dont snorkel, you must see the colorful tropical fish at this place. Bring some bread into the water with you from the hot dog buns at the BBQ. The fish will come and eat the bread from your hands while you are underwater. It is amazing.

Explore the ship each night since you will be busy during the day with 3 stops at 3 different islands.

Also if you drink. You can save money by ordering the drink of the day WITHOUT the souvenier cup. They add this cup automatically and it costs $2.25 extra with the tip.

Have a safe trip and we all look forward to your review when you get back.

Start taking seasick meds (ginger/bonine) now so it gets in your system before you set sail. Take at night as bonine can make you drowsy. I take one just before going to bed about two days before setting sail and each night of the cruise.

Take along a great attitude and you will have a great time.

Power strip so that you can use it for more than just recharging the camera at the same time. We did take a night light and didn't fit in the plug properly so, it won't work. We had a power strip which came in handy.

This being your first cruise you may want to "do it all" for fear of missing out on something. The best advice I can give is plan a little "down time" - time to take in the beauty of the ocean as you sail along; watch a sunset with the ones you love and be thankful for being together in such a beautiful place.

Have the best vacation ever - you may come home wanting to book another right away.

(And I love long cruise reports, so feel free to write every little detail)

Get to the port around 1030 very few in lines and get to be one of the first on the ship

LOL! Mine is- take your time and get to the cruiseport around 2 when there are few people in line and you can usually get right into your cabin.

Also, hop into a hot tub with a drink for sailaway. Few people think to do that and the tubs are cleaner at the start of the cruise.

Viv

A few other tips

As someone already said, get on the boat early. Your cabin may not be ready but you can eat at the buffet and explore the ship. You will get a head start and start to learn the ship. They should let you on board around 11 am.

A great send off is to be on the top and back of the ship and watch the Magic City (Miami) skyline fade off the horizon.

You are going to the Bahamas, right? Make sure you get a Bahama Mama on any beach you desire and enjoy the moment. This is what you waited for.

As I drove home from work today 5pm, the Sky was sailing away. Just think when it returns to Miami after the weekend cruise, it will be your turn to sail away.

Double check your bags, dont forget beach shoes. Bring some money to tip the guys that will deliver and load your luggage on the ship.

Enjoy your trip. Cant wait to hear about you and your cruise when you get back

David

Get to the port around 1030 very few in lines and get to be one of the first on the ship

I vote "NO" on getting to the port early and "YES" to getting there about 2:00 when there are no lines at all and you walk straight to an awaiting check-in person and then straight on to the ship and straight to your cabin.

Folks from the previous cruise are still disembarking at 10:30-11:00 and you will have to sit and wait until they've cleared the ship before they start letting you board (usually after 11:30). Your cabin won't be ready until 2:00 so you will have to sit around with your carry-on waiting to get into your cabin. If you have something better to do such as sleep in, have a leisurely breakfast at the hotel (if included), go shopping, whatever and only go to the port early if you have nothing else to do or if your flight comes in early the day of embarkation.

I make it a rule to NEVER show up between 12:00-2:00. Either before or after, but not in between.

LOL! Mine is- take your time and get to the cruiseport around 2 when there are few people in line and you can usually get right into your cabin.

Also, hop into a hot tub with a drink for sailaway. Few people think to do that and the tubs are cleaner at the start of the cruise.

Viv

I like the getting there earlier idea, get more for my money's worth :D lol

GREAT IDEA for the sailaway!

I like the getting there earlier idea, get more for my money's worth :D lol

GREAT IDEA for the sailaway!

I got enough of standing in lines, hurry up and wait when I was in the army. I don't really care to do it on my vacation.

I didn't say I was in a hurry...I'll leisurely drive to the port on Sunday morning. There will be a line at the times I come anyway, and it was a quick boarding last time, so I'm not too worried about lines. I won't go after 2 pm. I don't like cutting things that close :D

Archived