25th Anniversary Cruise 4-25-2010 Carnival Valor Our First Cruise

bam7058

Well, I learned so much from this site, I thought I would do my own review. Our 7 day Western Caribbean cruise with another couple and 2 singles was memorable. Motion sickness was quite a concern for me and another gal--but it worked out fabulously. I would be happy to answer any questions as I go along.

Sat., 4/24/10 Thoughts on Flights/Hotel and Motion Sickness

We decided to change our flights from day of cruise, to prior day. Boy, am I glad we did! Living in Michigan, we thought we would be safely out of the snow season, however our connection was in Atlanta. We arrive at airport in Flint, MI at about 10 for our 11:45 am flight. Tornadoes in Atlanta rerouted us to Knoxville, TN where we were supposed to be on the ground for about 20 minutes. Well, that turned into 1 hour of sitting on the plane. We knew we were probably going to miss our connecting flight. We had a 2 hour layover, seemed safe right? So, we ran through the airport helter skelter with another couple and their son who had rebooked onto our flight by using cell on the plane. There was to be a uniformed employee when we exited the plane to help us--that never happened. So, when we got to our gate ( very winded) we found the gate had changed. We ran again. We got to the new gate and found that our flight was leaving late. Yahoo! We made it, but with no time to get food. So, after only a beverage on the first leg, we were pretty hungry after 8 hours. When we got onto our flight to Miami, the nice couple offered us a granola bar. Thank goodness, because still no food on this plane. We did get some peanuts and beverages. My husband decided to get tomato juice since mine had looked good to him from the first flight. Bad idea, he spilled his tomato juice and my coffee all over the both of us and into our bag. It was rather hilarious, but not so pretty. Anyhow, the good news is that I get motion sickness very easily (even just watching movies), and with all the turbulence on these flights due to weather--I haven't gotten sick once.

So, we get to the airport and are arriving at the luggage carousel pretty tired, bedraggled and hungry around 7 pm. We are one of the first ones there, so I call the hotel transport. Bad idea, the carousel was silent. After angry travellers enquire, we find out it is broken but they wouldn't put the luggage out onto the floor. Finally it starts moving, we wait and wait and WAIT. We only have 1 of our 2 bags. 8:30 rolls around and we discover we aren't getting our 2nd bag. We wait in another line to make a claim to have it delivered to our hotel.

We go upstairs and catch the LaQuinta Miami East Airport hotel transport. He says, good luck with getting your bags. It would be better to come back and get them yourself later tonite. LaQuinta desk clerk says the same. We are very happy to be done travelling and check into our room. Our other travelling companions are lost in the air somewhere. We order chinese to be delivered to our room. They did get it there b4 the 40 minutes, but $18 dollars later we discover the teeny tiny "large" portion. Oh well, we will make up for it on the ship. LaQuinta I would highly recommend. It is not ritzy, but with free transport from airport to hotel and from hotel to pier you can cut your $32 transport cost and with any type of discount your net cost for hotel with taxes is about $50. They also have nice breakfast buffet (just don't wait til late or very busy).

I called Delta main 800# since baggage people at airport don't answer phone. I find that my bag really does appear (from scanning) to be at that luggage "pier", maybe just didn't get onto carousel. Grrrr! The helpful guy on the 800# puts an urgent note that they deliver to me by early am. They deliver it at 3 am.

Motion Sickness--after all these years I figure out the solution. Take meclizine at night 2 nights before your travel and every night thereafter for duration of trip. It's a miracle! I bought a bottle of 100 12.5 mg non branded pills (this is actually half strength) for less than $4 at local pharmacy. Took anywhere from 2-4 pills at a time. The branded drug is Bonine and Dramamine II. It is supposed to be less drowsy, but still does make you somewhat tired. After getting off the ship, I would recommend you keep taking it. I didn't and have been dizzy and headaches all week.

I'm so glad you and your bags made it. I changed my flight to the day before also because I don't really trust the airlines to "GET ER DONE" anymore. Please keep the review coming. I'm going on the Valor in December and would love to read your review. :)

We had called the day before from the plane when we knew we would be late, and schedule to get onto the 10 am transport to the pier from the hotel. We get onto the bus and everyone is pretty happy and excited. The driver loads your bags very artfully into the back. 2 young single ladies have their long flowered cruise dresses, large sunglasses and big floppy hats on making everyone laugh.

Arriving at the pier, the bus parks under a nice shaded pavilion and you hand your bags over the the porter and tip him to make sure your bags get onboard! You enter the a airconditioned bldg and the long cue is almost empty. She looks at your documents and sends you upstairs. There you fill out a form saying you are not sick and then go to check in with an attendant or self-service kiosk. We didn't understand the accent of the lady directing us and sat down before realizing we hadn't done this check in. I had done the pre-check in online. You still have to do this check in because this is where you receive your room keys and set up sign and sail account. WE are awarded a zone boarding pass and sit down to wait. We are on the boat by about 11:15. They take your picture, which you don't see but attaches itself to your sign and sail card.

We go to the adult pool to layout and sleep. I lose my bottle of 8 sunscreen there. We head to Rosie's upstairs to get fish and chips and talk my husband into calamari. He loves it and eats it several days. Sometimes they even have it on the buffet.

We are in our room by 1:30 pm. It is interior starboard on main deck. We and 2 of our friends are in rooms 2411 and 2417. It has great closet space. After the muster drill, where we found our friends, we head back to the room to get ready for dinner.

Our first dinner was just the beginning of a fabulous week of food. They really do have a lot of choices and present it so beautifully. It is funny to see everyone taking pictures of their food. They have a menu with left side being "starters" and right side being "entrees". You may order as many of each as you want. Both sides along with dessert will always have "diet" options. I tried the zuchini/summer squash tortellini (no pasta, squash is the wrapper) one night very good. However, friend passing camera in front of me to my hubby dropped it into the tomato sauce. All over me, thankfully I was wearing blue. Why do people keep spilling things on me! LOL, took it all in stride. They often bring you a dish with a little bitty thing in the middle and you think, what is this pitiful portion--then they pour the sauce or soup over it at the table.

They have Carnival Classics on all portions of this and dessert menu which will appear just about every night. Like, they always had caesar's salad and fruit plate (fruit always better here than in am dining room or buffets) . They almost always had mahi mahi (yummy) and flank steak. For dessert they always have icecream and warm melting chocolate cake.

We all tried each others stuff out, which was nice so you could taste other things. I think I may have had pan fried red snapper that night. The Caesar salad dressing definitely is made with that fish paste. Everyone loved the warm melting chocolate cake. I ordered it the first 2 nights, then I felt like I wanted to try some other things plus I could never finish the cake since it was rich. So, I always took a couple of bites of someone elses to get my fix. It is truly one of the most delicious desserts I have ever had and beats volcano cakes at local restaurants.

We hit the 10:30 Ivanhoe Theatre live show. We always have time to visit deck or look at pictures between dinner (6 pm seating) and 8 or 8:15 show. Sometimes, you can play bingo while saving your seats. Tonite, there is only the 10:30 show. It is very good and we decide to make sure we go to the others.

We saw the last part of a movie up on deck after that. They usually have 2 evening movies--one at about 8 and the other around 10:30. We head to bed and lights out at 1 am. We don't drink and hubby not interested in discos, plus we are really tired.

Then we experience our first nite of NO SLEEP! More later.

We are quite tired from our long eventful days, plus I didn't sleep good couple nites b4 at home. So, with another dose of meclizine and our handy dandy fan we brought for white noise, we settle in for a long restful night on our comfy bed with clean duvet. My husband falls asleep immediately. I'm not sure if I dosed off or not, but then the noise starts in. IT is like pounds, bumping, rolling and what sounds like heavy bins being thrown on the ground. Not sure where it is coming from. I lay there until about 4:30 am. Finally I get up and my husband says, I can't sleep. I am incredulous, I thought it was just me. My husband, who sleeps through everything cannot sleep. We try our earplugs, that doesn't help. So, I call customer svc and they send housekeeping who can says, "Oh, yes, that is loud. It is coming from above." It was non stop noise once it started. We can never hear voices.

We arise quite early and head down to customer service. They explain they have never heard any complaints. I tell them this is a very special occasion for us, and I am bordering on emotional because I am just so tired. They tell us they will try to tell the galley workers above us to quiet it down. We have high hopes. We find our friends also celebrating their 25th anniversary, have heard the loud noise too. My friend couldn't sleep, her crazy husband slept through it. He was up at 6 am to ride 20 miles on the exercise bike. Crazy, Crazy!

WE hit the buffet for breakfast. They have an omelet bar every morning, but it is quite busy. They also have 2 full buffets or you can hit the dining room. The buffets are about the same every morning (scrambled eggs, breakfast meats, potato patties, fruit, toast, bagles, oatmeal, grits, croissants, pastries as well as cottage cheese) except they rotate pancakes, french toast, etc. Juice is free in the morning. My husband is happy to find peanut butter, but can never seem to remember to get a spoon. They are not wrapped in linen napkins with fork/spoon.

I am making my hubby walk the stairs just about every place we go. Which means at least 7 flights of stairs and from back of ship to front anytime we want to go anywhere. This will help with the imminent weight gain. I borrow some SPF 8 from my friends, since no one turns mine into lost and found (which is at customer service?, crazy). We decide to layout on deck 11 or something (by walking track). I discover that laying out on ship is so enjoyable, always breezy no matter how hot. At some point, the guys hit the basketball courts. We get an icecream cone several times. They are small, so you don't feel so guilty.

Lunch time--again you can use the main Washington Dining Room or buffet or 3 other options. We never ended up doing room service, even on early morning ports, we couldn't sleep in anyhow. There are 2 buffets, one of them includes a mongolian bbq. Of course, always long wait for Mon BBQ. The buffets include a lot of options, sometimes even mahi mahi and calamari. The grilled fish with sauteed onions and peppers was good. By the stairs going up to fish and chips, there is usually desserts. Up front by the adult pool, there is brats, burgers. Pizza is also there and 24 hours a day. Between 2 buffets on one side is burrito bar and other side the deli with fresh sandwiches/paninis. Our friend, crazy bicycle guy, usually gets pizza b4 dinner and still orders 2 or 3 entrees. Tall and skinny as a rail, LOL. I tried pizza on last sea day, didn't think it was worth the calories and missing other things. I should have gotten some chips with fresh salsa and guacomole, because I wasn't thinking about being in ports for next 4 days. The burrito bar and deli closes around 2:30 or 3:30 every day.

At some point, we tour the spa and exercise room. I never officially exercised, just did the stairs plus swimming and walking on excursions. This really helps, we both only gained about 5 pounds. Tall skinny guy was trying to gain wait, not sure if he did.

We never even used the pool or hot tubs. We planned to watch a movie from the hot tub, but my hubby was just too tired by the time we got out of show, etc. The sleepless nites put a damper on the trip.

Tonite is first elegant nite, my hubby is already complaining. I brought 2 check on bags just so I would have room for all those clothes and some souveniers on way back. We ARE WEARING THE FORMAL CLOTHES MR. We get ready early so we can take advantage of pictures.

We meet our party of 6 total in Lincoln DR again at 6 pm (well, 2 single gals usually arrived late). We all know each other for since childhood and have met up from 2 different states. Our waiter Savo is from Bosnia. I have to say I was disappointed that we were upstairs in Lincoln and could not get it changed even though I asked the first day. There are windows, but they are covered bcuz you look out at the lifeboats. The first floor has windows and both floors of Washington have window views. I don't think it is really fair that they don't in some way rotate you so you can get a chance at window view and maybe a sunset. And, when the waiters dance, you have to get up and try to find a place to view the lower level. Your waiter could rotate right with you. If only Carnival would let me do their planning.

So, tonite there is lobster on the menu. I got lobster and shrimp. The warm soups are always good, but on several nites different ones in our party tried the chilled creamed soups. Bing cherry, peach and I think mango were the 3 types. It is more like dessert. I am glad I tried it, but it wasn't the best thing I had. Got my warm chocolate melting cake again. I eat it naked and give the icecream to my hubby. My friends can't believe I would do this. I can't even finish it. I am full and it is rich and lovely.

We hit the 8 show after viewing embarkment photos. They are $11.95 or something. They will never give you a deal on buying say 4 of the candid photos. I think people would buy more if you could get a package deal. The formal shots that we took tonite will appear tomorrow nite. They print 8x10's. You must buy the 8x10 for $22 bfore you can buy smaller or additional prints. Each additional print is $10. The show I think was a musical review of the 80's. Great for us since we graduated in 80's, not sure why everything is from that era. Guy and gal lead singers pretty good, gal better. Dancers good.

We eventually get to bed about 11:30 hoping to catch up on some sleep since we arrive early into Grand Cayman tomorrow. Took our meclizine and inserted earplugs and turned on fan. No luck, noise started in about 12:30 and all night. We could tell they were throwing and banging with greater care, but still at a level that jolts you awake if you even get to sleep. That durned galley. I can't fault the workers, they are busy preparing our delicious food for tomorrow. More to Come.

I have looked back at my "Fun Times" which replaced "Capers", because I couldn't remember when comedian at pm show by the name of Percy Crews played. It was actually Sunday night, our first night. I was leery of the show because I was told by some people that they were raunchy Well, I have to say that we were quite pleased with the shows. I was even surprised that my husband liked it and wanted to return. Anyhow, Percy was funny and clean. You could go to an 11 pm show other than in the theatre for the "R" rated version. Matt and Danielle were the lead singers which I mentioned b4.

So, our first port day. 7 am comes early when you haven't got any sleep for days! Running on adrenaline. However, we have a Carnival excursion, so we won't have to go the the Eagle's Lounge to get tender ticket. We have to show up at the tender at 9 am for our 9:45 am Stingray Tour. I think this was operated by Kelley Tours. We skip the omelet bar and just do the buffet to save time. We take the tender with no problems. Thank you again for my miracle meclizine. We arrive with plenty of time for the girls to hit Diamonds and Tanzanite International for our free stuff. The port water color is so incredible, I am amazed still by the beauty. It is quite crowded and Carnival wants you to take pictures before you go to wait for your tour. There is one banner for all the Carnival tours which makes quite a congested area. Lots of people walking around offering non-Carnival tours. No one is manning the Carnival line, so a little confusing. There are bathrooms here and an asian lady working says she has been there 4 years and can't get used to the heat. It is very humid today she says, sweat is running down my back. I don't sweat that way very often. Temperature about 87-89 degrees.

Someone finally shows up, I think late, and walks us down to the buses which take us to our boats for stingrays. You have a good view of the boat from this ugly bus parking lot, but they won't let you go to the edge of the pier to get a picture. We get to our boats and have a single decker. Yeah, I have heard about the huge amounts of people on Carnival tours. So ours isn't too bad, probably less than 35 people on the boat. One driver and one guide. BAthroonm is onboard. Drinks consist of a cooler with gallon jugs of water and koolaid with cups. We drive for quite a while, maybe 20-25 minutes out to the sandbar--thank you again for meclizine. Actually, it wasn't rough, I may have been okay. We have quite a time backing in with all the other boats there. They provide lifevests and scuba gear.

We get in water and it is beautiful, warm and ultra clear. The stingrays (supposedly babies, but don't look too small) are already swimming in. I was at first apprehensive, but soon lost any fear. The one guide was able to help all of us individually hold and kiss the stringrays, take pictures for us, give us ray backrubs etc. He was very patient with me as my hubby and I were the first to try. I kept backing up when the ray would push me and the guide didn't just push me aside and take someone else to save time. Anyone who wanted to hold them again had plenty of time. I swam beside the boat and dove down to get a conch with a crab inside. I had to put it back, but you could buy a polished conch from them on the boat for about $5. We didn't want to leave the water and rays were so plentiful. We got lots of nice pictures and underwater videos. They rinse you off with a hose as you climb up ladder. They wash scuba gear in a large plastic trash can filled with soapy water.

We headed back to town and did a little shopping. I so wanted to go snorkel from the pier at Eden Rock, but couldn't convince my party to do so. I think if they had snorkelled at Cozumel beforehand, they would have gone with me. More on that later.

We tendered back onto the ship and headed to the buffets. I so wish I had gotten to the burrito bar for some fresh salsa and guacamole because it closes early and I wouldn't have a chance again til Saturday! Didn't think about that.

Had to head back to the room to get ready to for dinner. Can't remember if we had anytime to lay out, don't think so. Stopped by to look at photos, we are pleased but want to wait to see other photos during the week. Can't believe I can't remember what I had every nite for dinner. I think I may have had the flank steak which is on the Carnival Classic menu. I have been eating lots of seafood, maybe a change. It is pretty good. I tired my friend prime rib, also quite good. At some point my hubby tried sushi for the first time ever. Some he had to just swallow quickly, the ceviche wasn't so bad. I even tried it. He also had escargot, I think what he really loved was the lovely sauce it was in. Oh, and the stuffed mushrooms were so good, that I had to order some for myself after I had ordered my starter. I decided to try something other than warm chocolate melting cake--I can always have a couple bites of some one elses. The pumpkin diet cake--not so good, bitter. The lemon diet cake good. Fig bread pudding with rum raisin ice cream good.

Show tonite is Manuel Zuniga (juggler) and Jim Brick (comedian). Could have skipped that show. My hubby and I still haven't tried to hot tubs or pools, can you believe it! It is always so breezy, you don't really get hot. We thought about watching late movie from hot tub, but for some reason hubby said no. We head to bed hoping to get sleep tonite. Didn't happen.

Isla Roatan tomorrow at 11 am, no tender, maybe we can sleep in. HaHa, this never happened in room 2411.

How could I forget!!! Today was our 25th anniversary. Got text from home wishing us Happy Anniversary. Didn't find out til I got home they never received my texts. They thought I was ignoring them!

So, the waiters sang to us and brought out dessert with candles. How sweet!

Lyn, well I can tell you that you just won't be able to take it all in. We didn't get to see any of the funny hairy man or newlywed games. We happened to catch a few of the trivia games if we were going in early to a show to save seats or something. Didn't even catch the ice carving on last day at sea cuz we just wanted to lay around a little on deck! But, we have a great ice and snow festival every year about 20 minutes from us in Frankenmuth, MI. The guys did take time a couple or 3 days to play basketball. Can't figure out why they don't have a cover over the basketball/volleyball area. It's so hot.

So, we aren't scheduled to pull into Roatan until about 11 am. Can we sleep in....no I don't think so. The noise, are you getting tired of hearing about this? I have put in a call to Carnival and am waiting for a call back from a supervisor.

Our plan was to get off the ship asap so we could maybe come back for a late lunch and return to the beach. However, we are moving rather slow. We watch the boat pull into Carnival's own dock quite a distance from where other boats pull in. We saw a stingray from up on deck 10 and I hope to snorkel in that little area. The silt the boat kicks up from stopping is tremendous. It is going to be about 100 degrees today! After lathering up with sunscreen (not getting as good of a tan since I lost my 8 spf and have to use 15 or 60), we head off to Mahogany Bay. You can walk into town (same stores as other ports DI, TI, Del Sol) and over a bridge to the private Mahogany Bay Beach. For $8 (price used to be $5) each you can ride back and forth on the sky ride all day. It is a nice little view, so we take it. There are iguanas on the trees. There are tons of chairs and cabanas. However, if you want a cabana and/or floaty raft, make sure you book it prior. They are all reserved. We were able to get some snorkel equipment. I would recommend taking your own snorkel equipment if you have room in your luggage so you can save $15 a pop here, in Cayman and in Cozumel. There are also private little cabins you can rent ahead of time. Not sure why you would want to do this, there is plenty of room in the shade with free chairs. There are a couple of outside covered bars with music where you can get food and drinks.

Our party walks all the way to the end and gets some chairs by the long dock where people snorkel from. I spent at least 1-1/2 hours snorkelling. Those on the beach had to get in the water very often, it was smokin' hot and humid. However, I am not complaining!!! Got lots of good pictures, although the water does have lots of miniscule floaties in it. Maybe because of cruise ship? Some people we knew did take a taxi and go shopping for mahogany, etc. and to a nice restaurant above water where you can see fish. They said it was much cooler a little further into the island. No one seemed to want to take the effort to go back to ship, so we spring for some chips and salsa (very black peppery) and coladas and daquiris w/o alcohol. I am surprised, they actually charge you less bcuz no alcohol. Even in states, they usually charge you the same. So, for 2 drinks it was about $9. I noticed in town it was slightly cheaper. They don't put any real fruit in, so they were okay. It was nice to drinks something cold, though.

When you get back to town, there is a cute outside bar with lots of funny things to take pictures with. Large boots with props--shrimper, hunter, wild west, etc.

We headed back to the ship. I think we tried unsuccesfully to take a nap or something. Dinner sounds good since I didn't really have lunch today. By now, we have both gained 2-1/2 pounds, despite the stairs and snorkelling. The ship is scheduled to leave at about 5:30. Some people say they prefer the late seating because you have to get back on ship too early if you choose 6 pm. Also, you eat late lunches often. But, I didn't think I would want to eat so late. They actually had a Rock-Paper-Scissors Contest today onboard. Again, we didn't choose to take the time for any of these.

We got ready for dinner. We usually try to head up onto deck if they are pulling out, or to the photo area for a few minutes b4 dinner.

I checked back in my photos cuz I can't seem to remember what we had for dinner every nite. It is helpful to know what is offered which nite in case you don't want to miss something. For instance, we though lobster would be both elegant nites, but it was only for the 1st. I me or hubby got apple puff on Monday. It was sooooo pretty, but not as good as I thought it would be. So, I can't even remember what we got for dinner tonite, but it was good! Someone did order the black forest cake and loved it. I ordered diet pumpkin pie, too bitter. That's okay, I try everyone else's. In our room that nite, we have a crab towel. On Monday, we had a bunny and Tuesday, an elephant with hubby's sunglasses. I really wanted a monkey, our friends on another floor got one. I should have asked steward for one because my daughter loves monkeys and I wanted to take a picture. Oh well.

The waiters sing and dance up on pedestals, but not every nite. They are downstairs, so we have to crowd between another table and the bannister to watch.

The show starts at 8:45 tonite. There was a magic guy who was okay, better than juggler or last nite's comedian, Jim.

Went to bed at some point to not get any sleep. They didn't bring us another duvet so we could go sleep on deck even though I asked cust svc again. There is always a line at customer svc, it is easier to just go to your room and call. They did leave me a message to call and offered us a pitiful amount of OBD and 10% off future cruise.

PS We didn't put any bug spray on, even though I bought the deep woods off wipes. I thought it would probably affect our sunscreen giving us funky tans. When I saw that we would have no problem getting a beach chair, I didn't worry. None of us had any of the problems that you hear about.

Bam we were on this same cruise with you. Asked about the bugs in Roatan and were told that it was really too hot for them to be out. Really enjoying your review. Its almost like re-living it all over again.

Thursday morning we arise bright and early cuz we have to tender and we don't have a Carnival excursion. Boat is to arrive in Belize at 8 am. I think we were ready to go and had breakfast around 7:30 at buffet. Heard tales of long lines in Eagles Lounge waiting for tender ticket. But, we arrived and it was empty. Tried to sleep on the couches. It was an overcast rainy day. We didn't have any problem getting off boat with first set of tenders.

Looked around at pier for Major Tom Fun Team sign. It is now Minor Tom and there are lots of people trying to find him to go cave tubing. I recognized Major Tom, so I knew we weren't being duped. We walk down the pier and wait in line to pay our $. I freak hubby out again by taking off for the bathroom and DI & TI.

After waiting for quite a while, we exit the port through DI sliding doors with guard straight to the bus. It is a long bus ride, about 1-1/2 hours, with a running commentary from one of Major Tom's sons. You get to see a lot of the actual community and how they live while you ride. Pictures through window pane turned out good. I am so sleepy from the bus ride and no sleep for days.

Once you arrive, you head to the bathrooms to change or whatever and wait to get your tubes. You can leave everything on the bus, it is your locker. We walked about half hour stopping along the way to see certain trees, termites, cross a few streams or jump off rocks into the water. I wasn't very hot and didn't feel like jumping in. I would have it had been really warm. Hubby does and I get good pix. We continue through the forest again until we get to the part of the river with caves. The deeper parts of the river are turquoise blue and the bed is lined with small rocks. We wore water shoes, no need to buy expensive ones. The water is cool, but even with the cooler weather that day we did not get cold. We did not wear any mosquito spray and were fine.

The river was mostly very low and we had to hook up and have our guide, Arlene pull or push us almost the entire way telling you "butts up". It is for this reason, that I would not do this tour again. It hurt my neck to lay this way. I would have been so fun to get out and walk ourselves. A lot of times I couldn't hear what they were saying about the caves. We shared a flashlight passing it back and forth up and down the tube chain. It is not their fault about the low river and I think they push/pull you for safety reasons. Hubby did eat a termite and we ate some allspice leaves. Between the bus ride and everything, this is a very long tour. So, maybe do it once and do something else next time in Belize.

After we returned to base camp, you can take showers, change and eat your lunch that you ordered or there is some kind of a shopping/restaurant bldg there that I didn't go into. We had ordered lunch, rice/beans/chix/vinegar coleslaw and bottles of koolaid type stuff. Hubby had to buy a coconut from a local guy to drink the milk--not that great, but not bad. I added pineapple koolaid to it to try and make a mixed drink. HaHa. They didn't rush us in any way.

Got back on bus, it was shorter ride on the way back and most people tried to sleep. I couldn't get my head comfortable and gave up after being a bobble head for awhile.

When you return, they pass some local booths about a block b4 the "golden gates". They said this is where you can get a good deal, but when you exit the bus doors people kind of swarm you and you are anxious to get through the gates. Make sure you have your sign and sail card out so you can get right through gates.

We did find some local booths inside the port city where I bought some vanilla etc. These were glass bottles and I could have gotten plastic ones in cozumel a little cheaper, but not as many people have gotten a souvenier from Belize.

Tendered back to the Valor to get ready for elegant nite dinner. Boat was to leave at 5 pm. We went up on deck b4 dinner and found some lovely small islands which made for nice background in pix. We got lots more formal photos taken and headed to Lincoln Dining Room.

Starters for dinner included escargot and stuffed mushrooms. After trying hubby's mushrooms, had to order my own. YUUUUUMY! The show was at 9 pm tonite. Matt & Danielle sang with the dancers etc.

Seaside Theatre is playing Love Happens at 8:30 and 10:30, we didn't make it. Goodnite everybody, will we get any sleep tonite? Well, we were so tired by now that I think we may have gotten a 2 hour stretch, but not much.

Oh no, it's our last port day. That means cruise is near it's end. Port arrival is 8 am, but we have Carnival Beach Buggy excursion that starts at 9 something. No tender, so you get off and walk along a huge cement dock. Water clear and gorgeous. Weather bee-aa-uuu--tiful! We get in line and I think we hit one DI while the guys waited.

There is a beautiful place just to the left of the dock with benches and trees and would make a nice picture to get boat in background. Never ended up doing it. It is really pretty at night, but we leave port at 5 pm.

So you walk a little ways down to left and then right into a parking lot where the beach buggies await. They give you the lowdown on our itinerary and driving the buggies. We will snorkle first at Chankanaab Park instead of last at Punta Sur due to weather. Weather looks fine to me?

The buggies are actually in pretty good condition, I had heard some bad stories. 4 to a buggy, and you share the driving. The gals didn't care about driving, so hubby drives first. Wear a hat or something to keep you hair from whipping around. We drive on a 2 lane highway to the park. I hadn't worn my bathing suit since I thought we were snorkelling at the end. We walked quite a way through the park and the beach. It seems deserted, I am so surprised. We get to a booth where they rent you lockers ($5, but I think you get $2 back when you return key). We did have a slight problem with mosquitos here, but not enough to worry about spray. I went to bathroom to change and forgot my camera in the stall. Short moment of panic, but it was still there. The wind whipped the locker door into my head, ouch! The lockers are plenty big enough for all your towels and stuff. We get our snorkel gear and the low down on safety. We climb down some rock like steps into an aquarium of fish---no, it's not an aquarium, but there are so many fish and they are not afraid of you. It is WONDERFUL, the water is WONDERFUL and clear. We swim and dive to our hearts content. Didn't want to leave. My water camera is taking really nice pictures. There is an outdoor shower.

Afterwards, we get ready to leave and the four of us get lost in the shrubbed gardens while taking pictures. Oh no, we are in Mexico and have lost our group. They don't seem to notice. We find them back at the entrance and they are none the wiser. Would they have noticed on empty buggy?

We head on to eventually drive along the beach, but on the road not the sand. You stop at a SMALL mayan ruin, but it is interesting. Across the road is a lagoon with a tall swaying tower you can climb for a great view of the ocean, lighthouse etc. The wind gives you a face lift. There are alligators and wierd fish there. All your stuff is safe in the buggies.

We notice the huge rough waves and are thankful we are not snorkelling Punta Sur beach where we are having snack. Well, I am pleasantly surprised that the snack is coke etc, bananas, freshly homemade empanadas filled with cheese or shredded meat and taquitos, homemade chips, beans, salsa. Way to go Carnival, this excursion is definitely worth the $. There is a small booth under this thatched roof lunch area where they will weave bracelets with your name and some other souveniers. Never got in the water. There is an area of hammocks and place for massages. The ladies head for my husband, he must look like the big sucker for spending $. They give him several sample massages and he gives in once they reduce price. Well, he got the best deal cuz all 3 were workin' on him at the same time. I decided to get one, but by that time we were getting ready to go and I am jealous that he got way more than me!

We switch drivers and leave our deserted paradise beach. Make sure you wear some sunscreen on this day! Driving back a short distance back to the lighthouse, you can choose to explore the beach, lay in the hammock, see the small museum inside or climb the stairs to the top. We decide to look for souveniers, but as always on this trip I am rushed in my shopping. So, I know I didn't get the best deal, but hey I'm helping their economy. Bought a conch cuff bracelet and ring. Hubby bought a hammock for 2 that he didn't want, cuz he's a SUCKER! Found out that night that our friend bought 2 conch bracelets (not solid cuff), necklace and ring for same price! I tried to convince her she should let me buy it since it's my anniversary. No luck.

After that stop, we were supposed to go to the PeePee station (more shopping) but we never stopped and they didn't say why. Oh well, it was so much fun the guys kept thanking us for scheduling this. After you return to port, there is lots of shopping there. Bought some more vanilla and hit DI & TI. Called home since it was only 99 cents/minute. My dear 11 year old daughter has actually missed me. I am surprised and pleased.

We headed back to the ship and I lost some money in the water. The water is so beautiful I wanted to jump off the pier, but the guys wouldn't let me. You can ride a little cart for 2 here for a tip. I don't want to leave!!!!!

When we get back onboard, they announce we will be leaving late due to high winds and other boats in port. Then they announce you can go back into port for 2 hours! This is where early dining can be an inconvenience. Oh well, saved me spending more $!!!

Got ready for dinner and visited photos. Oh my, we love both elegant night portraits and have to choose between about 25 8x10 photos. They are $22 each and you can't buy small sizes unless you buy the 8x10. They won't give you any discount on buying more than one of different shots. Hubby informs me he forgot to shave for last nites elegant photos, grrrr. But, I will never get him dressed back up and in front of a photographer for a long time, so we bought the scruffy man photos.

Off to the dining room. Tall skinny guy hits the pizza station again b4 dinner! Me and a friend ordered this seafood dish with scallops, prawns and lobster sauce. I just had to order another entree of stroganoff just to see how they could fancy it up. Well, good thing cuz we didn't like the seafood dish at all. The prawns looked like small shrimp and there were these nasty mussels and I didn't like the sauce. I am not complaining, cuz it's the only thing I didn't like the whole time and it is probably just my tastebuds. Stroganoff was Deeelicioso. I ordere3d the tiramisu and it was cutely embelished with the shape of a spoon by sprinkling a dusting of coffee over the spoon and removing the spoon from the plate. They are so creative. I'm not sure if this was the night that my hubby ordered the creme brulee bread pudding (not sure if this is correct name), but I abandoned my tiramisu for other people's desserts. That bread pudding rivaled the chocolate melting cake, which is pretty hard to do. I would have ordered another one just for me, but I am stuffed.

The boat is a rockin' and we don't leave til 3 hours or more late. I am not sick due to my miracle meclizine. There is a party on deck, so no movie. We head to the 8:45 Ivanhoe show. John Wesley Austin is some sort of comedian, but I didn't really pay attention to him too much as I was viewing photos on our friends laptop.

We headed to top deck to view the waves--it is very windy. My girlfriend decided to go to bed just to make sure she didn't get sick. We got 2 little birdies in a nest for our towel art, oh and last nite was a stingray.

Tonite is Mexican Buffet Nite, but the guys have stuffed themselves silly and can't eat! I am so disappointed. It doesn't start til about 11:30, but everything was set up including icecarving and carved watermelons with chefs all standing out front of buffets just waiting. So, I went through barriers and took pix. They didn't seem to mind. There was some hoity toity lady there saying that she has been on a bazillion cruises and this is her husband's first and how much $ they have and that is why she is able to come in here. I was laughing so hard to myself cuz I am not rich or cruise-savvy, but I'm in here too lady. Maybe, ur not so special after all. Ok, maybe that was mean, but why in the world would you talk that way?

Off to bed again friends.

Loved reading your reviews, sounds like it was a truely memorable & amazing experience.

Suggestion for future trips, look at floor plan online or with booking rep to make sure your room is not below or above galley, piano bars, dance clubs, etc. We made sure our room is sandwiched between other sleeping floors for 1st cruise & upcoming.

Overall, your reviews are great and very thorough. Thanks for sharing!!!

We worked with a travel agent, haha! Who would have thought a galley could be so loud. I spoke with Carnival after we returned, plus we spoke with customer svc every day. We did get some compensation. They claim that hardly anyone ever complains of that area. I guess everyone is stone drunk.

Thanks for the review. I am really enjoying it. We will be on the Valor on 11/14/10. I want to do the cave tubing in Belize, but I am wondering did you feel safe in the bus while traveling to the caves...?? Keep this great review coming....Joanne

Yes, we felt very safe. I had heard some people say the buses/vans were rickety and broke down. Ours was like a tour bus and it had air. The seats laid back, but not enough for me to keep from bobble-heading! We had 3 guys and 1 gal (relatives of Major Tom) on the bus with us. I guess it depends on who you book with. I would never book a non-cruise excursion unless I had read reviews from multiple websites. Major Tom comes up on every website you visit with positive reviews. I believe he has just handed it over to Minor Tom, his son. Although, he is still very involved. Plus, you didn't have to pay ahead of time if you didn't want to. So, if we decided at last minute not to go, no problem.

Archived