Shoes for Formal night 12 and 13 year old Boys

navytsg

We are travelling RCI Med cruise this July. I have bought my sons appropiate clothes for the formal nights. They are looking forward to dressing up. Do I really need to take black leather dress shoes for them? The youngest would like to wear his red converse boots on formal night, the eldest a pair of black canvas lace ups. They could wear these on port days too. Opinions Please .

Agreed ... if you're looking for double duty for dressing up (which sounds like a smart plan as quickly as boys that age grow through shoes), I'd go with all black shoes. If they're really going through sizes quickly, I'd probably just get them some from Payless or WalMart or something.

Key is "appropriate" and "opinion"

My opinion is that if the boys are wearing nice slacks, dress shirt, tie? and coat? the shoes, any shoes will be acceptible if not totally appropriate. Not sure what the fashion police on CC will say ;)

That said, we brought only two pairs for each of us "boys" formal dark dress shoes and comfortable walking/athletic sandals. For the boys they were cheap cheap cheap as they wear these what 4-5 times a year before they are too small. The sandals nor the formal shoes were our boys first choice but in the end worked out very well for on the ship/pool and about and in port and good enough for formal night too! Remember it will be HOT, nice not to have to also plan to bring socks etc. etc. saves some packing IMHO, YMMV.

We are travelling RCI Med cruise this July. I have bought my sons appropiate clothes for the formal nights. They are looking forward to dressing up. Do I really need to take black leather dress shoes for them? The youngest would like to wear his red converse boots on formal night, the eldest a pair of black canvas lace ups. They could wear these on port days too. Opinions Please .

We are cruising the Mediterranean on HAL in about a week and a half. My boys are 19 and 17. They are bringing 1 pair of shoes and a pair of sandals. The shoes are comfortable black athletic shoes and you cannot tell they are not dress shoes unless you stare at them, especially with a nice pair of slacks, tie and dress jacket. My husband is doing the same. The reason being we are only taking 3- 24" suitcases and they need to fit clothes for the 5 of us. Mens dress shoes are heavy - unlike ladies who can just bring strappy sandals.:D

diane

The slip on Merrils in black suede are a great shoe to bring. My son wore his with his tux on formal night and then with his chinos on other nights. A great versatile and comfortable shoe. We just bought him another pair and he almost prefers those over sneakers. Hopefully they will still fit him next Nov. for our next cruise. He is 12 and growing rapidly. :)

The boys will be fine wearing those shoes.

On our last cruise I opted to bring one pair of "dinner" shoes for our boys since they prefer sandals over sneakers during the day. They were definitely casual shoes but there was no way I was bringing additional shoes for formal night as that would have definitely bumped us into another suitcase.

Add me to the list who thinks those will be fine. My boys are 4 and 6 and both have wide feet. I don't plan on purchasing any formal shoes because I am limited to a few brands and they cost a lot:) My boys will wear their royal blue suede Keen's (tennis style) with khakis, blue sport coat, white shirt and ties if they will wear them:) No one will notice them. I think the red converse will look cute!

We have bought the boys beautiful dressy black trousers, waist coats, shirts and bow ties. So from the feet up they will be formal. I think the red converse will give a slightly fun edge to their look. Don't want too little Grandas with me. Thanks to all who replied!:p

Archived