First cruise question

Hello,

(First of all, Kat, sorry about the previous post. I hope that this one is acceptable. I wasn't sure how to post a new thread after looking around for awhile. Hopefully, I did this one right.)

Anyway, to the group: I think I'm going to book a 17 day HAL cruise in the Mediterranean for my wife and myself for August. I'm wondering, do I miss out/lose certain benefits/do myself a disservice if I don't book through the cruiseline? Also, is trip insurance worth purchasing?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Dave

Hello

My husband and I have been on 3 HAL cruises (Alaska, Mediterranean, New Zealand and Australia). We have NEVER booked directly with HAL (always with another company) and from my experience, this has never been a problem for us. We always felt treated exactly the same as everyone else and we had no problems.

Enjoy your cruise, We had an amazing time on board HAL in the Mediterranean.

Hello,

(First of all, Kat, sorry about the previous post. I hope that this one is acceptable. I wasn't sure how to post a new thread after looking around for awhile. Hopefully, I did this one right.)

Anyway, to the group: I think I'm going to book a 17 day HAL cruise in the Mediterranean for my wife and myself for August. I'm wondering, do I miss out/lose certain benefits/do myself a disservice if I don't book through the cruiseline? Also, is trip insurance worth purchasing?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Dave

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

If you use a reputable/knowledgeable TA there should be no difference except you are likely to save a bit on the fare and may get enhancements such as onboard credits, free dinner in the Pinnacle Grill, bottle(s) of wine, etc. YMMV :D

Trip insurance is a must IMHO, just look at what happened to those who were affected by the Icelandic volcano and were unable to fly and make the cruise sailings. As they say, Ship happens and if you aren't covered you have lost it all or nearly all.

We have always booked directly through the cruise line UNTIL this week.

We found a deal online that was way better than the cruise line. It saved us approximately $1200. We will be going to the Greek Isles in July 2011.

When we called the cruise line to see if they would match it, they said they could not, and actually said, "that is an amazing deal, you should take it."

So, we did! First time we have had 2 cruises to look forward to.:)

So far, everything is going smoothly, and we have been able to check our Personal Cruise Personalizer information directly through the cruise line website and everything is just as we were promised. We chose our stateroom and dining choice, etc.

Good luck and happy cruising!

In my opinion, insurance is definitely worth the cost. It protects you medically (very few insurance companies pay outside US), offers medical evacuation (which can be very expensive if needed), has various types of coverage for cancelled cruises, can cover separate air for delays and interruptions. Those who had 'natural disaster' coverage on their policies were sure glad last month if their air/cruise was affected by the volcano.

I'd suggest you go to www.insuremytrip.com and either read the various policies from different companies or call one of the site's brokers and ask questions of them so that you choose the best coverage for you.

I personally would not cruise without insurance. Because my husband has pre-existing medical conditions, we pay the insurance premium the same week as booking the cruise so that pre-existing conditions will be covered.

To be honest, I don't find trip insurance to be worth the cost (this would change if my husband or I had any health concerns). Also, we can add the insurance on up to 10 days in advance, so I see no reason to add it on right away, except in very special circumstances. In our case, $200 seemed like a lot for 7 days worth of coverage. I'm willing to take the risk that there won't be any more major natural disasters in that narrow timeframe. In my opinion, it all depends on your circumstance, and what amount of risk you're willing to live with.

Please understand that trip insurance covers you for more than just ill health or accidents. Two years ago our policy paid for a hotel and taxi to/from it when our flight home from Walt Disney World was delayed and we missed our connection...and needed a room for the night in nearly-sold-out Cleveland. Had we been going to WDW first, then the policy also would have covered missed reservations there, too...and it would cover you if something happened with your flight & you were unable to get to your port of embarkation....they insurance company would help you get there one way or another, or to at least the first port stop with a viable airport.

We found a basic policy for our 7-night cruise next spring of $74.50 per adult (our kids get "free" coverage with ours)...and given the expense of a cruise, it is a good deal...unless you want to absorb the risk of losing that investment. The rates often depend upon the per person cost of the trip as well as the covereages you select. We get a barebones policy but that still gives us up to $500,000 in emergency evacuation..if someone gets run over by a tour bus or hit by a car at a port stop...just about anything.

In addition, you can also buy a cancel for any reason rider, so if there's a death in the family or something along those lines, you're covered for that as well. Just ask those questions when you talk to an agent.

Since I live in Washington State, I've chosen to go "bare" (without insurance) when cruising Alaska. I also do not get travel insurance when flying inside the US to visit relatives, etc.

Even though my medical insurance covers me everywhere, I choose to get travel insurance for any trip out of North America. It covers a multitude of situations, none of which would be pleasant to experience and all of which could be very expensive.

Insurance will pay for a family member to fly to your bedside in some remote hospital, and will cover their lodging, too. It will pay for lost luggage and missed connections. It will pay to send your body home if you happen to die while on a trip. Some insurance arrangements will pay for a translator and will help find a doctor for you if you are in Brazil or Nepal or Slovakia or some other place where you don't speak the language and do not know anyone.

You do need to be prepared to pay up front for things, however. In most cases, the insurance company will just reimburse you for your expenses, not pay for your extra lodging, etc. Usually, it works like your homeowners insurance. You file a claim and submit receipts and (hopefully) get reimbursed.

Re. Insurance:

A few years ago I was in a bicycle shop where a young woman was buying a biclye and the salesperson asked whether she wanted a helmet too. Her response was: "No, I don't I need one". So I said to her: "You might think differently one day in that split second before your head hits the pavement". She bought one. :)

So, you don't need insurance... until you need it. :D

But the woman could probably use that helmet for years. The insurance is worthless in seven days (or however long you're traveling).

But it's worth a fortune if you have to be medically evacuated for appendicitis as a passenger was today from a cruise ship.

It's also worth it if you have to cancel after final payment because of illness of a non-cruising family member.

It's worth it for lots of other scenarios as well.

To me, jeopardizing an investment of thousands in order to save hundreds doesn't make sense.

But the woman could probably use that helmet for years. The insurance is worthless in seven days (or however long you're traveling).

And after she hit her head on the pavement the helmet would most like be useless too.

Let me put this as plainly as I can think of, though I do not think it can be better said than Peter (Boytjie) did....

Do you have upwards of $50,000 to pay in case of an emergency evacuation off the ship?? That is from what I understand the average cost to be air lifted from the ship to the nearest medical facility. Then you add in other costs such as doctors (both on the ship and on shore), hospitalization, where your family stays while you are hospitalized, the cost of transportation from the initial hospital to your local facility, how your family members get to your hospital, how will you and/or your family traveling with you get back to your home since you will have more than likely missed your flight home, etc..

I always thought that my hubby and I would not need to worry about insurance as hubby is a retired US Army Warrant Officer and we have Tri-Care/Champus, NOT SO!!! Even with military insurance you still need to be covered for everything else, which means BUY additional insurance to cover the what ifs.

Joanie

if you travel a lot even just within america maybe look at an annual insurance.

I briefly considered cruising without insurance, as it was only 7 days, and no flights involved. Then I realized we were traveling with our kids and it would be stupid not to have it. We have medical insurance, but it won't cover evacuations and so forth. So we purchased a medical only plan that covered all 4 of us for 76.00.

That is cheap peace of mind to me! Now I don't have to run around behind them hoping nothing happens!

Archived