HAL Loves America

I did a search and couldn't find anything on the HAL message boards, so I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else could qualify: HAL has a great military discount. Our Alaskan cruise went from 1299 to 899 pp for a balcony room (pre taxes and fees). So if you're in the military and trying to decide which cruise line to go with, Holland America is a great way to go.

Thanks a bunch for the intel and thank you Holland America Line!:)

And, above all, thank you very much, you men and women in the military for serving your country!!! Take care and be safe! Semper Fi!

And another thing too - my cousin couldn't go on a cruise with us because her husband was deployed to Afghanistan 1 week before our family cruise. HAL not only refunded her and her husband 100% of the cruise fare but also all the transfers and the flights (she did HAL's AirSea program) that were booked with the cruise. And, she didn't purchase ANY protection plan. It was amazing.

And another thing too - my cousin couldn't go on a cruise with us because her husband was deployed to Afghanistan 1 week before our family cruise. HAL not only refunded her and her husband 100% of the cruise fare but also all the transfers and the flights (she did HAL's AirSea program) that were booked with the cruise. And' date=' she didn't purchase ANY protection plan. It was amazing.[/quote']

That's really nice to know. We're booked for about two weeks after my husband gets back from a mini-deployment, so it's very, very unlikely that he'll be sent anywhere at cruise time, but there's still always a nagging worry that something will happen. I was actually really surprised that more cruise lines didn't offer a military fare. While they're obviously under no obligation, it seems like most amusement sort of businesses do have a special rate. We couldn't afford to take advantage of it, but Disney World had a good special last year on their hotels, and many amusement parks have a reduced fare. Like I said, it's certainly not required, but it is nice.

That's really nice to know. We're booked for about two weeks after my husband gets back from a mini-deployment, so it's very, very unlikely that he'll be sent anywhere at cruise time, but there's still always a nagging worry that something will happen. I was actually really surprised that more cruise lines didn't offer a military fare. While they're obviously under no obligation, it seems like most amusement sort of businesses do have a special rate. We couldn't afford to take advantage of it, but Disney World had a good special last year on their hotels, and many amusement parks have a reduced fare. Like I said, it's certainly not required, but it is nice.

I hope that all goes well and you and your husband have an absolutely wonderful cruise.

I did a search and couldn't find anything on the HAL message boards, so I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else could qualify: HAL has a great military discount. Our Alaskan cruise went from 1299 to 899 pp for a balcony room (pre taxes and fees). So if you're in the military and trying to decide which cruise line to go with, Holland America is a great way to go.

Thanks for the information.

And another thing too - my cousin couldn't go on a cruise with us because her husband was deployed to Afghanistan 1 week before our family cruise. HAL not only refunded her and her husband 100% of the cruise fare but also all the transfers and the flights (she did HAL's AirSea program) that were booked with the cruise. And' date=' she didn't purchase ANY protection plan. It was amazing.[/quote']

Glad HAL was nice to them.

:) Almost all lines have military discounts I know because I've used most of them already. However there are different rules that each line has. Some only require to see a dd 214 from anyone who has served even one day ( Carniva,l NCL) others you must be active duty or retired(my status) a couple will only give active duty a discount (HAL) All discounts are not created equal. very often the lines offer other discounts that are better than Military. You got to shop around.

:) Almost all lines have military discounts I know because I've used most of them already. However there are different rules that each line has. Some only require to see a dd 214 from anyone who has served even one day ( Carniva,l NCL) others you must be active duty or retired(my status) a couple will only give active duty a discount (HAL) All discounts are not created equal. very often the lines offer other discounts that are better than Military. You got to shop around.

This may have been true in the past, but now the only two major lines that offer it are HAL and Carnival. I'm not sure about how Carnival's is, but, as I mentioned above, HAL's discount is substantial.

:) Just looking at one of the sites that is advertised on Cruise Critic and they list 10 cruise lines offering military rates. There ar hundres of cruises listed also So if you are ready TO GO on VACATION checkout the site. They also list all the rules by cruiseline.

Can I ask where you found this? It would be nice to have during future planning. However, I think that the 10+ cruise lines are probably small, local companies. I know that, of the bigger companies, HAL and Carnival are the only ones who offer a discount. (Celebrity doesn't, RCCL doesn't, Princess doesn't, NCL doesn't. Disney does, but only on select cruises.)

The lines lisred are: AZAMARA, CARNIVAL, CELEBRITY, DISNEY, HAL, MSC, NCL, RCL, SEA DREAM AND WINDSTAR. Unfortunately we are not allowed to mention the vendor's names on this site, but I thought I gage you a good clue when I said they advertise on this website and when you are ready TO GO on VACATION, you can check them out:)

This may have been true in the past, but now the only two major lines that offer it are HAL and Carnival. I'm not sure about how Carnival's is, but, as I mentioned above, HAL's discount is substantial.

NCL also currently offers a Military discount (including retired as well as active) on many of its sailings, so I'm not sure why you think it doesn't.

NCL also currently offers a Military discount (including retired as well as active) on many of its sailings, so I'm not sure why you think it doesn't.

I'm sorry--I was told by a TA that Carnival and HAL were the only two. I also called Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Princess directly to double check--all said they didn't offer a military discount. I'm not sure why when apparently some of them do, but I'm glad to have the correct information now.

but I thought I gage you a good clue when I said they advertise on this website and when you are ready TO GO on VACATION, you can check them out:)

My husband's added about a thousand ad blockers to Firefox, so I've never seen the ad (though maybe it's still there and I just tuned it out). I'm glad you mentioned it, since I was wondering why you were capitalizing so many words. :)

Archived