More Alcohol/Rum Runner/Bon Voyage Questions

I have read many of the posts extensively, and still have a few questsions.

Rum Runners: Does the plastic make the alcohol taste funny? I know that's a strange question, but I bought some cheap storage containers for lunches and the food tastes like the containers. It's really gross.

Bon Voyage: If we order from Bon Voyage, can we take the bottles other places on the ship or do we have to carry a flask? Is it ok to carry a flask around? I know the bottles from Bon Voyage are one liter, but my husband doesn't want to have to run to the room everytime he wants a drink. :o

Drink Prices: I saw the Bar Menu, but didn't see the actual price for a mixed drink like Jack & Coke. Is it the price of the "Sippin'" drink or the price of that plus a soda?

I don't mean to sound silly, but I am a planner, and I like to have as much lead time as possible. I want to be able to budget for whichever option we select. We are leaning most towards Bon Voyage so we don't have the added inconvenience of smuggling...but if we have to... :D

Thanks in advance!

Rum Runners: Does the plastic make the alcohol taste funny? I know that's a strange question, but I bought some cheap storage containers for lunches and the food tastes like the containers. It's really gross.

Bon Voyage: If we order from Bon Voyage, can we take the bottles other places on the ship or do we have to carry a flask? Is it ok to carry a flask around? I know the bottles from Bon Voyage are one liter, but my husband doesn't want to have to run to the room everytime he wants a drink. :o

Drink Prices: I saw the Bar Menu, but didn't see the actual price for a mixed drink like Jack & Coke. Is it the price of the "Sippin'" drink or the price of that plus a soda?

I don't mean to sound silly, but I am a planner, and I like to have as much lead time as possible. I want to be able to budget for whichever option we select. We are leaning most towards Bon Voyage so we don't have the added inconvenience of smuggling...but if we have to... :D

Thanks in advance!

Mixers are included in the price of a drink.

Carry a bottle of booze throughout the ship???? Can't answer that.

Rum Runners are made from old Colostomy bags, but I'm sure they, at least, rinse them out!!!:eek::eek::rolleyes:

No taste from Rum Runners (but I did rinse out after recieving). All made it on board in Jaxport.

I loved the small versions of the Rum Runners and they worked well, carry in the pocket and with my soda card, I could make my own drinks. They have 16 and 8 oz sizes both fit nice in a pocket.

I just got back and purchased 3 drinks

crown and coke 7.99

Pina Coloda and Strawberry daquari 23.29

The soda card (really just a sticker added to your sail and sign card) was 36.60 with tax and gratuity added. I had no issues using this card at any bar, show or dinner. I really thought this was a good deal.

This was my first cruise and I too was worried about the "added expense"

Our tally was $500, for two on a 5 day cruise. Which isn't bad from what I researched I'm sure it would have been worse without the smuggling:)

general idea on what we spent

70.00 on soda cards

100.00 tips

110.00 tour

60.00 gamble slot tournament and raffle

20.00 Photo -- was alot to chose from

rest was in souvenirs

Bring a big insulated mug if you want. People were carrying all kinds of mugs and cups. I personally thought it was easier ordering a soda and adding a little drink and when done leave the glass.

Dh carries a bottle of special blend gingerale:D that he adds his other ingredients to.I get the pop caard and we tip the server very well for the silence and jsut add is gingerale to coke and he set for awhile. I'm not much a drinker( one foo foo and loopy);).

One of the reason we came back to Carnival was the welcome aboard gift selections. I have not seen such a wider selection on the other lines.There is something for everyone.

If you live near a Dick's Sporting Goods you can buy 1-liter collapsible bottles for your liquor. The plastic doesn't make the liquor taste funny. Actually, just the opposite occurs - I can't get the vodka smell out of the plastic!

Thanks in advance!

What I did is I bought one of Carnival's drink cups they sell for pop. (the one with a lid) I put my rum in it. I also had a pop card. So I would order a pop. Then I would put how ever much rum I wanted in it from my carnival cup.

Mixers are included in the price of a drink.

Carry a bottle of booze throughout the ship???? Can't answer that.

Rum Runners are made from old Colostomy bags, but I'm sure they, at least, rinse them out!!!:eek::eek::rolleyes:

Thanks Dan my computer screen is covered in coffee!!!OMG old colostomy bags......... they probably sprayed it with pam so they didn't need to rinse...........ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Another thing you could do if you don't want to carry around a flask is get a sports bottle that clips onto your belt and just fill that with you alcohol, clip it to your belt and use as needed.

Wearing one on each hip will help break your fall no matter which of the 3 ways you fall.:D:D:eek::confused:

I bought the double wall insulated travel mugs that have a straw, they work really well even if just using for the tea and lemonade or water. It can get pretty hot on the lido deck and the ice stayed very well in these. Just make sure to get the double wall.

We were on the Legend 4/25/10. It was our first cruise and we were worried about the alcohol smuggling....but let me tell you.....

we bought 3 boxes of black box riesling wine and 2 boxes of franzia white zinfandel and took the bladders out of the boxes and wrapped them in plastic and stuck them between our clothing.....we also had rum runners which my husband used for his bourbon and also some baileys....and everything came through without a problem....we also had a 3rd bag that we bought and specifically put water.....diet pepsi and ginger ale in......

and that was the bag that had the polite letter that it got inspected but everything was fine.....

I just cruised with a supervisor in a port in security. She laughed when I said there are people who believe rum runners are invisible. She said of course we can see them. I said how about if one is in a cowboy boot. She said yes, of course, the color is different in the liquids when we look at them on the xray. We just dont do anything about them because Carnival hasnt told us to.

use a water bottle, its going to show up no matter what you put the liquor in. Dont waste your money she said. She said her people are TSA trained and of course they can see liquids...but she wouldnt post and give away their secrets she said. Let people think they are getting away with it.

We were on the Legend 4/25/10. It was our first cruise and we were worried about the alcohol smuggling....but let me tell you.....

we bought 3 boxes of black box riesling wine and 2 boxes of franzia white zinfandel and took the bladders out of the boxes and wrapped them in plastic and stuck them between our clothing.....we also had rum runners which my husband used for his bourbon and also some baileys....and everything came through without a problem....we also had a 3rd bag that we bought and specifically put water.....diet pepsi and ginger ale in......

and that was the bag that had the polite letter that it got inspected but everything was fine.....

Would you rather believe that if someone wanted to smuggle a bomb on or explosives, that the xrays cant see ALL liquids...just because nothing was said doesnt mean they cant see it.

She said we are doing 2000 pieces of luggage thru one xray machine. Right now we dont have time to worry about smuggling. We just look for what wouldnt keep you safe, like bullets, or guns, or things that are dangerous. But of course we see the liquids... ALL liquids and they look different on the xray machines.

Oh I better clarify I was talking about what to carry your BV liquor around on the ship, I wasn't suggesting sports bottles on your belt as a smuggling tool.:o was thinking of what would be easy to tote around all day.

Cheers

I personally thought it was easier ordering a soda and adding a little drink and when done leave the glass.
Problem is drinking down that soda until you have enough room to add the PROPER amount of alcohol sure does make the calories add up. Better to tell your drink server what you have in mind. They will bring back your soda after spilling the proper amount.

I just cruised with a supervisor in a port in security. She laughed when I said there are people who believe rum runners are invisible. She said of course we can see them. I said how about if one is in a cowboy boot.
Who takes cowboy boots on a cruise?

I just looked up "x-ray scanner images" which shows all kinds of luggage and how it looks on an x-ray scanner. You can see the shapes of non-metal items, but you can't see the contents.

I also thought about when doctors need to look at your digestive system and they make you take that barium solution (a metal) so that it can show up clearly on an x-ray or MRI.

So, given all this information, how could they possibly pick up a rum runner and know that it is a rum runner and not a bottle of lotion or oil or some other type substance? Of all the research I've done, it just does not make sense that X-rays can pick up those type of images (rum runners and their contents) clearly. Not saying they can't see the shape, but it would be hard to discern that it's a rum runner and not something else.

If anyone can give me some cold hard facts and not just hearsay, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for all the helpful answers. We are just giong to order from Bon Voyage. I think my DH is going to get a flask to put his liquor in while out aned about the ship. I might just buy him a soda card to drink it with. Now...what to do about kahluah for me.

If anyone can give me some cold hard facts and not just hearsay, I'd appreciate it.

Short answer is that when x-raying a person, doctors are concerned about radiation exposure. They want to use the least powerful x-rays that will get the job done.

Not so with luggage scanning. They can use high energy and low energy sources, and then compare the results to get a clearer picture of densities involved.

Have a look at this site for more info: http://www.euinfrastructure.com/article/OptoScreener---Enhancing-checkpoint-security-with-an-advanced-threat-detection-system/

Our unique approach for dangerous or illicit liquid detection enables the screening of multiple containers simultaneously and discriminates between harmful or illegal and safe liquids, even when their physical properties are very similar. The system can detect the presence of contraband substances, such as alcohol, even when present in small amounts and mixed with other liquids. Liquid detection is fast and safe because the automated liquid analysis does not require any containers to be opened. Liquid analysis is performed in real time based on liquid density and effective atomic number (Zeff).

I just looked up "x-ray scanner images" which shows all kinds of luggage and how it looks on an x-ray scanner. You can see the shapes of non-metal items, but you can't see the contents.

I also thought about when doctors need to look at your digestive system and they make you take that barium solution (a metal) so that it can show up clearly on an x-ray or MRI.

So, given all this information, how could they possibly pick up a rum runner and know that it is a rum runner and not a bottle of lotion or oil or some other type substance? Of all the research I've done, it just does not make sense that X-rays can pick up those type of images (rum runners and their contents) clearly. Not saying they can't see the shape, but it would be hard to discern that it's a rum runner and not something else.

They can "X-Ray" engine blocks to check for flaws or cracks. But they 'PROBABLY' use a slightly higher power setting than when they're looking at your intestines. They want to see what's going on inside you, NOT COOK YOU!

I smuggled vodka and capt morgans...Plastic bottle of water and tea...Put the vodka in the water bottle, rum in the tea bottle. At the lido deck, grab a plastic cup, filled it 1/3 way with ice and keep my water or tea bottle on top of the ice.

FYI: There's also a chance you can order more booze through room service at Bon V prices.

Short answer is that when x-raying a person, doctors are concerned about radiation exposure. They want to use the least powerful x-rays that will get the job done.

Not so with luggage scanning. They can use high energy and low energy sources, and then compare the results to get a clearer picture of densities involved.

Have a look at this site for more info: http://www.euinfrastructure.com/article/OptoScreener---Enhancing-checkpoint-security-with-an-advanced-threat-detection-system/

Thank you so much for this information! That makes more sense. Though, I wonder if the quality of scanners varies from port to port.

I carry on a 2 large sports bottle for my mixer. Carnival has an excellent Guava Papaya juice on the morning buffet that mixes well with my rum. Fill the sports bottle each morning with rum Fill second sports bottle with juice Use the small carnival plastic glass and their Ice. Instant mixed drink to last most of the day!! Be sure to refill juice before it disappers at lunchtime:D

Archived